Lt. Commander
# 71
11-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
I'm sorry, I just don't see how anyone is being thrown under the bus. Am I happy with the content drought and the constant lies? Not in the least- but i just can't see the F2P model as throwing anyone under a bus, or being an evil 'money grab'.
I was talking about the Economic model of Greed and Money as the only motivation to do anything more than specifically STO in that instance. However, the old players are going to be thrown under the bus. If you have not been watching then you probably missed the fact that our Emblems, for instance, will be worth less in the conversion to F2P than the Equivalent that will be earned Post Conversion. In other words, the old players will be short changed on their time and efforts in the game. Just one example of the sort of harsh shafting that is coming right up.

Maybe you prefer to be taken advantage of in such ways? Maybe you prefer Grind to Play, Pay to Win, etc... Some folks like that for some reason but I am certainly not one of them. It especially worries me that this conversion will make the game even more Hollow than it is and suck the life out of it. Leaving it with less Trek connection than it has... I will freely admit this game does not make the most stellar use of its IP but it DOES use it and in some cases does a good job of it. Anyone who has played with the TOS Enterprise Bridge or the Devidian Missions, or the Cloaked Intentions etc... Has seen some awesome tie-ins and probably fell in love with that atmosphere. I know these things that are here will not go away but I worry that there will be no more good tie-ins and in the push to monetize EVERYTHING (which is so UnTrek...) the only hope to keep a Trek feel will be to allow us to play as members of the Ferengi Exchange. Then we can lose our right to be captain if we engage in unprofitable ventures.
Lt. Commander
# 72
11-16-2011, 05:13 AM
I hope after transition in F2P,devs ll restart continuing with dstahl's vision of game
Lt. Commander
# 73
11-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudrash View Post
I hope after transition in F2P,devs ll restart continuing with dstahl's vision of game
Well I'd hope that too.
And I hope to find a bag with full with A LOT OF MONEY randomly somwhere... or win the lottery without even playing it.... world peace would be nice, too.

About Neverwinter...
Well I dont see the point of another fantasy MMO. The market is FULL of those.
STO at least partially worked (at least until TOR) because is had another targert audience then... well WOW, ***, LOTRO... similar goes for champions.
The original concept of Neverwinter had at least a SLIGHT chance of success because... well... it was another concept then wow, *** .. you know the list...

But a Fantasy MMO with then known lack of quality cryptic uses to deliver?
Chances of sucess = 0.

They should put the resurces into the 2 already running games in a market where they haved a chance to make them GOOD instead of throwing another half-finished game into a market wich is more then saturatet with better examples of that kind of games.
Lt. Commander
# 74
11-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Indeed,

with Cryptics typical quality I expect no chancesw for Neverwinter Nights, there are too much established MMOs in the fantsy sector that a C-quality game could take hold.
Lt. Commander
# 75
11-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
About Neverwinter...
Well I dont see the point of another fantasy MMO. The market is FULL of those.
Sad thing is that I wanted it more when it was just a Co-operative Online RPG
Lt. Commander
# 76
11-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This isn't true. The truth is, we've been hiring and staffing up all of our game teams.

Folks, PWE is committed to helping us make STO the best game it can be. Anything else just doesn't make sense to them. It's incredibly awesome to be with a publisher who has our back, wants to see us grow and succeed, and is willing to make the investments needed to make that happen for all of our games.

Thanks,

Stormshade
The best game for whom? PWE, or the players? Because the build currently on Tribble does not give any benefit to gold members. In fact, it's worse than what we have now in many aspects. And that's for gold. I shudder to think how silver will be.
Lt. Commander
# 77
11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
The best game for whom? PWE, or the players? Because the build currently on Tribble does not give any benefit to gold members. In fact, it's worse than what we have now in many aspects. And that's for gold. I shudder to think how silver will be.
In all aspects I beleave the Silver gets the better end of the stick. Gold members get stipend and what not but... Silver gets everything else. I think when new FE come out Silver members have to wait a whole week befor they can play it. When ever that is because we all know about the 6-12month content drought is ongoing.
Lt. Commander
# 78
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Sad thing is that I wanted it more when it was just a Co-operative Online RPG
Same here... Now that it is going to be PW-ized I am not really paying it any mind. I already played that game when I played PWI and have no interest in playing it again under a different name.

However, it will probably net PW some cash for as long as it is around. Just another cookie-cutter game that will draw in a handful of folks. That is all they need it to do. They run things more like McDonalds where they want loooots of little operations that can take people's money instead of any singular high quality establishments. Not dissing McDonalds per se but they are obviously not a reservation needing full service restaurant obviously (With one exception in NYC).
Lt. Commander
# 79
11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Same here... Now that it is going to be PW-ized I am not really paying it any mind. I already played that game when I played PWI and have no interest in playing it again under a different name.

However, it will probably net PW some cash for as long as it is around. Just another cookie-cutter game that will draw in a handful of folks. That is all they need it to do. They run things more like McDonalds where they want loooots of little operations that can take people's money instead of any singular high quality establishments. Not dissing McDonalds per se but they are obviously not a reservation needing full service restaurant obviously (With one exception in NYC).
Well, I will probably play the free-to-play part -- for old times' sakes I have two characters that started in Neverwinter and by Ilmater and Bane, they're going to be in Neverwinter!-- but they're going to have to make it really attractive to get any more money out of me.

ETA: Which... thinking about it... made me have a sudden realization. Maybe they're really trying to make a 'fresh start' for STO, basically throwing out the old economic model to make a new one. At this point, very few lifers are going to WANT to keep throwing money at STO, so the stipend is more or less a sop to preserve some semblance of reputation; they expect people who have subscribed this long to, with some exceptions, throw up their hands and go F2P and thus lob money at the C-Store. So in one fell swoop, but for some LTSers who hang on to the game like their lives depended on it, they effectively start over with a new economy geared around dilithium and what they see as a more perfect (in their eyes) ST experience (which we might roundly disagree with but, last I checked, we don't have much of a say in how STO is run.) This could be disastrous if there's a significant amount of negative publicity out there. But since most F2P transitions have gone pretty swimmingly (LEGO Universe notwithstanding) the dissatisfaction that the established playerbase has with STO will go largely unnoticed, and the new F2Pers will go into STO not knowing what came before and with little or no knowledge of what changes were made. Ingenious, if it is true.

Mm, personally, reading that over, it makes for good pot-boiler conspiracy theory but I doubt Cryptic has actually planned things that sinisterly completely..