Lt. Commander
# 11
11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I still think that exploration could be overdone in a variety of ways.

I feel like there's more exploration in Skyrim's 16km^2 than in all of STO's two quadrants.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I still think that exploration could be overdone in a variety of ways.

I feel like there's more exploration in Skyrim's 16km^2 than in all of STO's two quadrants.
I was picturing this morning, a Trek version of Skyrim, where you have this massive sector of the galaxy that's just been opened up, and you're flying around in it. All the little caves and ruins and cities (and not so little cities) are systems and space stations; the cities themselves are systems, the individual houses are planets you can beam down to. And you go out in real time, and you can't fast-travel (transwarp) until you get to such-and-such a location. Things level up in concentric spheres radiating out from the entry zone. And it's three dimensional. Ships that pass in the deep dark night.... How long was Skyrim in development? How much content is in it? Could something like this be done with a MMO? With a *Trek* MMO?

The moment of near-transcendent (Trekscendant?) beauty passed, alas.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-18-2011, 07:49 PM
That can only happen, if 5 plus years of development and strong finance backing were given. Then, only then...this Game will be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
I was picturing this morning, a Trek version of Skyrim, where you have this massive sector of the galaxy that's just been opened up, and you're flying around in it. All the little caves and ruins and cities (and not so little cities) are systems and space stations; the cities themselves are systems, the individual houses are planets you can beam down to. And you go out in real time, and you can't fast-travel (transwarp) until you get to such-and-such a location. Things level up in concentric spheres radiating out from the entry zone. And it's three dimensional. Ships that pass in the deep dark night.... How long was Skyrim in development? How much content is in it? Could something like this be done with a MMO? With a *Trek* MMO?

The moment of near-transcendent (Trekscendant?) beauty passed, alas.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I've always thought that Cryptic spends way too much time on updating systems. I really think they need to reexamine their priorities and only focus on new episodes, events, and PVP maps next year, and only squeeze in some system updates if time allotted instead of the reverse.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
OP nailed it.
Seems to be the business strategy, keep making systems and put them in a new ip, keep moving.
Could be why Perfect World scooped them up, would fit the many cash shop thing well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superherofan1701 View Post
I've always thought that Cryptic spends way too much time on updating systems. I really think they need to reexamine their priorities and only focus on new episodes, events, and PVP maps next year, and only squeeze in some system updates if time allotted instead of the reverse.
Well, my big question would be whether a system adds content. Of the ones we've seen (dabo, shuttles, crafting, currency overhauls, etc.) the ones that have added/renewed content have been the combat revamp and the DOff system; they provided templates to build on.

IMHO, there are really only two big features worth examining in the next year:

- Functional Interiors (Complete with more reasons to visit friends' interiors and use of interiors for dueling)
- New Exploration System (Which could, again, be useful for dueling if you can picture exploration having an optional battleship type component)

Both need to be built as rapid content delivery platforms. I think the two can be tied together.

Nice but not necessary:

- BO-> Captain/Department Heads
- Fleet Starbases/Custom Decks
- More Minigames

That's pretty much in order, for me I don't think a single new feature outside of these five needs to be investigated in 2012. These 5 should all provide content delivery mechanisms and no other features need to be released if they don't somehow push faster and better storyline advancement and socialization.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-18-2011, 09:11 PM
This only works when the new or revamped systems they introduce are completed satisfactory. Not 80% done and released, not 90% done and released, which is a chronic problem Cryptic has. "Hey, this doesn't feel right, lets revamp it!" 200 hours and hundreds of forum posts later...."Well, it's close enough; let's get working on the next thing. We can come back to this later". And it goes on and on and on with this company like that. Kind of like civil engineers working on I5 through Southern California. That highway has been under re-construction for 15 years. STO doesn't have 15 years, because it's user base is not captive and fickle. They WILL have many other choices to go to in just a couple of years time. We've already seen it, and are about to see it in a big way as if a whole new other parallel highway was built.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Yes, they absolutely do. Actual playable content seems to take a back seat to everything. The ground revamp is the perfect example. Did the ground system need work? Absolutely. Was revamping ground combat more important than creating more episodes for us to play? Absolutely not.

I'm honestly at a loss as to why three or four devs haven't been entirely devoted to making more mission content. And what's more, I'm at a loss how Cryptic can't be coming out with at least one new episode per week. Maybe not a "feature" quality episode, but an episode nonetheless.

It took me maybe 100 hours to make my Foundry mission. That's a lot of time for one person, but for people working on the game full time, it isn't. If I could have two people working with me (ok, under me :p), I'm certain we could make an episode every week, or every other week at a minimum. Now, why can't Cryptic do that?

I know the Foundry is not the same as the Dev tools, but if the Dev tools are that much less efficient, then there's something wrong. Even if making the planets/interiors from scratch takes a long time, then that means they should have a couple people working on making original maps, while two other people cycle between finishing those original map missions, and making simple Foundry-style content by reusing assets.

In the absolute worst case scenario we should be seeing an episode per month, and that is almost pathetically slow development if they have more than a single person working on making episodes.

Playable content needs to come first. All this other fluff, including the DOFF system, should be secondary to making playable missions. Development priorities are all wrong. And if they don't have enough people capable of creating episodes, then they need to hire them.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Actually, I'll take this one step further and say Cryptic doesn't even understand the Star Trek IP at all.

Star Trek = Story & Characters.

It's a television series that drew us in because of the stories in the space setting, and which featured strange and interesting people on the crew. A game based on ST is not one where you primarily are going to play in order to PvP. Nor is it a game where you are going to focus on grinding a bunch of loot. That is not the correct approach for the IP.

In addition to that, the way stories in the game are developed is not true to the ST roots. What we liked about Star Trek was interesting characters. How many recurring characters do we see during our time playing through the episodic storyline? I can only thinking Franklin Drake, who we encountered a couple of times. That was a good use of the Sloan character from DS9. We don't see that anywhere else.

We should be encountering characters based on ST cliches the whole way through the game, and encountering the same characters multiple times. It creates a sense of connection because we've seen and helped these characters out before. Then if one dies, we might even feel bad. We could even have episodes where we help some of the characters out with a personal problem.

Coming up with characters to encounter in ST is actually very easy, because there are a bunch of Trek archetypes you can basically just rip off and then make minor changes to them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
In addition to that, the way stories in the game are developed is not true to the ST roots. What we liked about Star Trek was interesting characters. How many recurring characters do we see during our time playing through the episodic storyline? I can only thinking Franklin Drake, who we encountered a couple of times. That was a good use of the Sloan character from DS9. We don't see that anywhere else.
Kurland, T'nae, B'Vat, Miral Paris, and Worf (KDF side) all get used that way along with STF villains. Otherwise agreed.

That's also one reason why I'd like to see an older Scotty (who's just a few years older than Picard and won't retire until around at least fifteen years after the game, going by one of the novels) and maybe holo historian versions of Bones and Spock, building on the likenesses they do have approval on. I'd also like to see Joshua Riker pop up more, J'mpok and Kahless pop up more, etc.