Lt. Commander
After playing the Tor beta and seeing the companion system, it made me look at bridge officers and really see how badly the ball was dropped there.

I get some people want to have thier own crew and all, but what about the rewarded boffs like the reman and breen.

Would it have taken that much effort to give them some personality or some story mission elements?

What about when you edit a boff you get to pick a personality trait that influences dialogue or adds some v/o to combat?

I could see a post mission ops meeting aboard your ship, sitting around the conference table where your boffs give civ like reports on the ship and it's needs...the list goes on.

After playing TOR and skyrim, and seeing what those two games offer logging into STO is painful, almost 2 years in and the game still has gaping holes where Cryptic just didn't get it done.

The dev team seems to have the artistry, and even the ability to create some interesting mechanics, but I can't help but feel that they need to hire someone with some real vision, that can take those elements and the most requested and needed community ideas and just get something done already.

It's starting to remind me of WAR, where nothing new ever came along besides revisiting and revamping the same content and trying to pass it off as interesting.

I hope perfect world takes a long hard look at this game and it's issues and hires an EP that can get something done, but knowing our luck it will be either Richard Garriot or Bill Roper, or I'm sure Derek Smart is ready to flop on over.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Rolling under the door like Geordie during a warp core breach...
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I miss my loyal companion Khem Val, his aggression and veiled threats. Cryptic would be wise to copy some of those elements into STO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2011, 09:18 AM
And where exactly does it say that BOff design is complete? BOffs sure haven't changed much since launch, but bear in mind they are still reasonably good considering how rushed the game was. Bioware has had at least an extra year than STO to refine and invest in their companion element. But they're not done, and we're not done. *Thanks be to the nature of MMOs*

This latest tribble patch strives to add more idle animations to BOffs while weapons are drawn. If anything, thats a small indication that Cryptic knows that improvements and additions to BOffs are still needed. Only time will tell, but I'm hoping that once we get past F2P launch, the playing community will start to put momentum behind new movements for such needed improvements. On the order of a BOff expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2011, 09:45 AM
TOR > companions done and polished in beta, freaking beta.

STO > boffs not done, missing voice overs in nearly 2 years release - 2 freaking years.
Tons of c-store items though
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Voice overs don't matter to me, really. Whether we have or don't have them.

I would however love to see more personality, dialogue, and interaction from our bridge officers. See them integrated into the story more than "Hey Captain, this is what you need to do next" pop-ups.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I think that if they want to limit this, it remains a really strong choice for the department head system or at least First Offciers

I think, at the very least, First Officers should be summonable on social maps and get an off-duty outfit they can swap into.

It's a bit painful to look at the implementation in some ways because I think the BOs are effectively what the Duty Officers should be and what we should have for our senior staff is really a step above what we have with BOs.

Cryptic designed the mastermind class in City of Villains and that was what got me excited about STO in the first place. Masterminds were often voted the best pet class in any MMO in surveys and you could do all kinds of fun things like emote puppeteering.

I was the first hero-side mastermind in City of... due to a glitch. There were others who wound up on the wrong map but I was in the wrong FACTION. It was a lot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
After playing the Tor beta and seeing the companion system, it made me look at bridge officers and really see how badly the ball was dropped there.

I get some people want to have thier own crew and all, but what about the rewarded boffs like the reman and breen.

Would it have taken that much effort to give them some personality or some story mission elements?

What about when you edit a boff you get to pick a personality trait that influences dialogue or adds some v/o to combat?

I could see a post mission ops meeting aboard your ship, sitting around the conference table where your boffs give civ like reports on the ship and it's needs...the list goes on.

After playing TOR and skyrim, and seeing what those two games offer logging into STO is painful, almost 2 years in and the game still has gaping holes where Cryptic just didn't get it done.

The dev team seems to have the artistry, and even the ability to create some interesting mechanics, but I can't help but feel that they need to hire someone with some real vision, that can take those elements and the most requested and needed community ideas and just get something done already.

It's starting to remind me of WAR, where nothing new ever came along besides revisiting and revamping the same content and trying to pass it off as interesting.

I hope perfect world takes a long hard look at this game and it's issues and hires an EP that can get something done, but knowing our luck it will be either Richard Garriot or Bill Roper, or I'm sure Derek Smart is ready to flop on over.
i would like it if the boffs had more smarts than spaztic 5 yr old
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHat
i would like it if the boffs had more smarts than spaztic 5 yr old
Thats more of a pathing/AI issue, but yes its a big inconvenience to have to hit help 1,000 times per actual heal from a BoFF.
(and it turned out to be my engineer who got to me, not my CMO. I fired my CMO and promoted my chief engineer to commander.)