Lt. Commander
# 11
11-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Lol, guess I've had lousy RP GMs then. In one 'Trek meets Sliders' RP, I was the Chief Engineer and got yelled at for trying to enhance the ship's weapons instead of 'play-by-play' writing of sitting around watching the warp core. In another, a 'ship based cross-over' (ironically, run by same guy)...RPers had to pickfrom his list of approved list of canons (not bad, as he had some decent ones)...what stunk was it was biased towards Trek and other canons with small ships (ie, rule was in play nothing over 2 kilometers long), thing was that pretty much negated 99% of ships in the other canons on the list. Then there was the thing about 'seen on-screen only' rule, and even that was subject to the GM's whim of what was allowed from that and what wasn't (ie, for some reason, 'TAS' didn't count as 'on-screen' even though it was part of official Trek canon last I knew).

Sorry, got into a bit of a rant. Suffice it to say, neither of that guy's RPGs lasted long as he and his flunkies drove everyone away with has nano-scale micromanaging (I think that's the right term).

Other than that....lol, you try RPing with a bunch of RTS modders....sure, set-up was alright, but no one had a clue what they were doing and things died. Still, I've got to admit, that RPG (actually the first one I remember joining after getting on-line) was fun...gotta introduce a custom race of my own to it and it was already a clever blend of Lord Of The Rings and Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-20-2011, 05:49 AM
I used to be in a rather large amount of PbEM type RPGs back in the day. Most seemed to've folded once the MMORPGs took off but there's still a few out there. I know of at least two Star Trek ones that go through Googlegroups rather than the old Yahoogroups standby that come across more like creative writing than a scriptstyle post.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-20-2011, 10:53 AM
No offense to PBeM RPers out there, I just seem to prefer play-by-post types...part of why, I guess, is its a bit more unpredictable on what the other RPers involved will do. All play-by-e-mail I've seen over the years was more 'joint post on steroid' type ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
With approval from Ravenstein, I've put up a thread to see if there is any interest in a 'Clock II' RPG (sequel to Raven's old Clock RPG).

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=242115
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Shadow_Phoenix View Post
Just curious as to who here is interested in this type of text-based roleplaying.
I run a Fallout-themed one over at Fallout: Apocalyptika.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
I run a Fallout-themed one over at Fallout: Apocalyptika.
I have my own off-site RP forums as well...just wasn't sure about advertising rules in regards to posting the link.

Right now, they are silent due to needing members. RP wise, there are 3: a 'kaiju wars' type deal (ala, Godzilla and other giant monsters, customs included), a sci-fi faction based RP (ala, 4XRTS with diplomacy, war, and the rest of the whole kit and kaboodle) where you can be based on a canon faction (Examples: Babylon 5's Earth Alliance, Star Trek's United Federation Of Planets, Star Wars's Galactic Empire, Farscape's Peacekeepers, Warhammer 40,000's Tau, et cetera) or a custom design of your own (its currently set up so that each RPer keeps each other in check to prevent god-modding in terms of ships (like a fighter with a Death Star grade super laser, for example...I've seen that tried once), number ****s, unfounded 'deus ex machina' moments, et cetera (though, some leeway is given for story and plot events), and a third that, well, currently is in limbo as I try to figure out what I'm going to do with it (its already gone through so many 'what do I want this to be' periods I just don't know anymore, lol).

Sorry, got a bit rambly. Lol, its been so long since I had any activity on my forums, I tend to get a little talkative when I talk about my RPGs there.