Lt. Commander
# 11
11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Galaxy class, as I recall, was touted as first to be able to reintegrate in the field. Among the Trek books I own is one about the NCC-1701 during her refit when Kirk as an Admiral and in-charge of the yard in question: primary hull was in orbit, but the saucer was on the surface. Book states that the ship could seperate in emergencies, but it takes a drydock to reintegrate. I forget the book's name off top of my head, but will look it up.

There's also material that says 'emergency separation' goes all the way back to the Daedulus class (one that comes after the NX class) where the spherical secondary hull could push away if the warp core went critical or other emergency.

So, in conclusion, the Galaxy class was the first with casual saucer separation and reintegration.

As for the Sov....its 'word of god' from the designer of the ship that the hull was designed with this ability in mind for some possible future point in time, so until there is 'word of god' otherwise....that's where I'll stand.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
The only thing you can say that IS Canon about the SOvvie's separation ability...is that it never happened....at least never happened on-screen.
Thats what I said^^
And the result is simply its "unknown" if she has it.
And, for the reasons I already gave, I thing its very likley she can do it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-17-2011, 09:47 AM
If I remember the fluff/canon then pretty much any Fed ship with a seperate Saucer section can seperate via explosive bolts. The Galaxy class is the only canon ship that can reattach both halves of the ship.

Something to do with catastrophic failiure of the primary systems rings a bell.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-17-2011, 06:33 PM
There is apparently mention of the old 1701 being capable of emergency saucer seperation in the TOS ep "The Apple - but as others have said, the Galaxy class was apparently the first to feature the ability to reconnect without the aid of a spacedock facility. Although I think there was a throw-away line in "Encounter at Farpoint" (TNG) where Riker was mentioned to have commanded a saucer reconnect on a previous starship assignment, which suggests that older ships may have been upgraded to able to do the same by then (maybe). But considering there were supposedly only 6 other Galaxy-class ships in service at the time, it's unlikely Riker would have performed the manuever on a Galaxy - and I believe the reconnect was mentioned to have occured on the Excelsior-class Hood.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
There is apparently mention of the old 1701 being capable of emergency saucer seperation in the TOS ep "The Apple - but as others have said, the Galaxy class was apparently the first to feature the ability to reconnect without the aid of a spacedock facility. Although I think there was a throw-away line in "Encounter at Farpoint" (TNG) where Riker was mentioned to have commanded a saucer reconnect on a previous starship assignment, which suggests that older ships may have been upgraded to able to do the same by then (maybe). But considering there were supposedly only 6 other Galaxy-class ships in service at the time, it's unlikely Riker would have performed the manuever on a Galaxy - and I believe the reconnect was mentioned to have occured on the Excelsior-class Hood.
Hmm an Excelsior being able to saucer cep...hmm that would look "odd"
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Well, its not like they were built all in one unit, of course. No doubt the saucers were built separate, as were the necks, primary hulls, and other sections and all were put together by the shipyard. Its common sense that it would be easier to focus on finishing a starship in small chunks instead of one complete unit, no?
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Shadow_Phoenix View Post
Well, its not like they were built all in one unit, of course. No doubt the saucers were built separate, as were the necks, primary hulls, and other sections and all were put together by the shipyard. Its common sense that it would be easier to focus on finishing a starship in small chunks instead of one complete unit, no?

Correct the "Original 1701" could seperate - but did require a "space dock" to reattach the saucer. It was explosive bolts that allowed the seperation and hence made it a one-shot affair. This info can be found in the "old" Tech. manual from the TOS days. The TNG enterprise is the first one to be able to reconnect without a spacedock.

That really changed things and its too bad that it was not used more from that point on. IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
seeing a miranda separate would be odd....but yeah, the saucer sep thing should be available to more classes, and maybe the MVAM to those with a captains yacht as well...so you got 3 units fighting as one. though yeah the saucer is more like an escape module, and the yacht is well, a yacht, for diplomatic missions, or personal use(speculation).
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRook View Post
That really changed things and its too bad that it was not used more from that point on. IMHO.
Yeah, dang budget limitations...
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
The Excelsior-refits were capable of saucer separation, as evidenced by the presence of a battle bridge on the Enterprise-B's MSD, and also by production notes justifying the addition of two saucer-mounted impulse engines as being needed for maneuvering during separation. Whether they were able to reconnect in the field is, to the best of my knowledge, unclear.