Lt. Commander
# 1 Directed Energy Modulation
11-28-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm in a Sovy and decided to try something different in my commander slot Engineering. But honestly, I'm not seeing much of a difference in using this ability for offensive power. I am thinking of just going back to more supportive stuff. I am using a beam boat set up and figured it would be worth it... but the small amount of damage done to hull is easily negated by even a mild heal.

Figured I would post here to get others thoughts on the power.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-28-2011, 04:13 AM
It's one of those abilities where it's hard to notice any significant effect. I personally use DEM3 on my FED and KDF Engineers/Cruisers, but mostly due to lack of other good abilities (Aceton Field is meh, Boarding Parties get shoot down easily, and I don't really PvP that much to use AtSIF3).

I tend to use it together with FAW2/3 (2 on Marauder, 3 on Excelsior) and generally I'm happy with the damage output. You can sometimes see a significant portion of the damage going through the shields straight to the hull. But is it really the DEM3, I can't really say. Still, it's a 30sec ability AFAIR, so in the long run the damage _should_ be significant.

Engineers in generall have it difficult with Ensign and Commander level abilities - either there's too little of them, they share the same cooldown, or it's difficult to find/train the ability you're looking for. For my D'Kyr I had to replace my Eng Borg Boff (Efficient) with a Human one (Leadership), just so I can give it to someone to train EPtAux3/EPtShields3/ENGTeam3, which you can't in any other way (no boffs train these).
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-28-2011, 04:37 AM
it works well too if you combine it with a turret and single cannon and a scatter or rapid fire cannon. I tend not to use the high end ones now though.