Lt. Commander
# 1 Faster leveling! Wait... what?
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
From "Path to F2P #24" http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2695

Quote:
Faster Leveling The leveling curve has been adjusted through the game, particularly at the earlier levels.
Really? Isn't that counter to what we were told not too long ago, which was that leveling was too fast according to D'Angelo? I'm doing a double take here guys.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Apparently they didn't have an issue with being able to hit cap in a day, just with the obtaining of gear.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Very few STO players run out of content. Most give up well before that.

I think the point is to speed UP leveling, particularly the low level kind, and make the slow part gearing up at the cap so they can concentrate most future development on endgame and also create and fill out other factions faster by making it so that fewer new missions are needed for new factions (and the KDF) to feel complete, while treating the surplus of Fed missions as filler and patrols, DSEs, and exploration as non-essential and unrelated to leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Apparently they didn't have an issue with being able to hit cap in a day, just with the obtaining of gear.
You can hit the cap in a day and a pack of redbull with most games. Gear and shinies are what take weeks.

Still, I'd reiterate what I've said before about not tying rank to level because that only intensifies the perceptual problems with a rapid ascent from Ensign to Admiral.

Really, I'd prefer it if we spent the tutorial as Commander and the game was Captain 1-50, with Admiral pips and titles being an optional unlock at high levels. Or if they made Captain 1 - VA 1 into Captain 1-21 and just made the admiral titles and pips cosmetic unlocks you get at Captain 11, 16, and 21.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You can hit the cap in a day and a pack of redbull with most games. Gear and shinies are what take weeks.

Still, I'd reiterate what I've said before about not tying rank to level because that only intensifies the perceptual problems with a rapid ascent from Ensign to Admiral.

Really, I'd prefer it if we spent the tutorial as Commander and the game was Captain 1-50, with Admiral pips and titles being an optional unlock at high levels. Or if they made Captain 1 - VA 1 into Captain 1-21 and just made the admiral titles and pips cosmetic unlocks you get at Captain 11, 16, and 21.
I don't disagree. I posted in some thread (can't remember which) a rank scale that had captain at the upper bound. Given that ranks such as Lieutenant Junior Grade went ignored (honestly that has always bugged me) it is possible to do so while keeping the existing tier system intact. If I were to be stuck at any rank in the Trek universe I'd want it to be Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
It makes me wonder what type of genus's they have working on this game. A few examples are to a new player that may be nice being able to level faster, but on the hand of making money for a company like cryptic its going to ruin all efforts they made with this F2P crap. You may ask how do you reach this conclusion? Well its fairly simple although I do not know why people at Cryptic didn't forsee this but you have no end game so when people play thru enough characters they will simply just uninstall the client with F2P players seeing that the only things being added are cosmetic things to buy. So faster leveling = faster speed to end game = no end game = no customers...
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
It makes me wonder what type of genus's they have working on this game. A few examples are to a new player that may be nice being able to level faster, but on the hand of making money for a company like cryptic its going to ruin all efforts they made with this F2P crap. You may ask how do you reach this conclusion? Well its fairly simple although I do not know why people at Cryptic didn't forsee this but you have no end game so when people play thru enough characters they will simply just uninstall the client with F2P players seeing that the only things being added are cosmetic things to buy. So faster leveling = faster speed to end game = no end game = no customers...
Oh, grinding for mk xii STF sets will keep you busy while they think of an answer to that. I am not anticipating a stellar answer to that issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
Actually, my math on both gold subs and C-store purchases shows that their income is going to be reliant on people having as many VA 1 alts as possible and our ability to really maximize the dilithium economy is also going to be reliant on having as many VA alts as possible.

In some ways, whereas this game has historically focused on a small number of alts, the new system really pushes everyone back into the City of Heroes playbook which says, roll as many alts as possible... with the added push to do dailies and dilithium conversion on each alt.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes, this a direct contradiction of what we were previously told about leveling being too fast.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Also, does not faster leveling diminish the value of the mid-tier ships? (Both in dilithium and c-store value)