Lt. Commander
# 21
11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I respect that view to an extent, but It's also something unique to the genre worthy of using to create a different style of game play. If it was to evolve into a style or story that someone wasn't interested in then they wouldn't have to play it. Right now though, everything plays out almost exactly the same whether you are facing a Klink, Romulan, Borg or some other generic race.

We need more variety. Maybe some of those variations won't be for everyone but at least they will have a choice as to where they get their enjoyment.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Some of the Borg gimmics I think are overdone, and the critical part is not done at all.

Borg ships were tough. And even if they took damage, they regenerated. You could watch them "regrowing" their hull, basically, the first time the Enterprise met a Borg vessel.

Sure, they also had that shield neutralizer. It's okay. But they didn't spam it every 15 seconds. That's overdone.

But a Cube sure a s hell didn't get by a single Federation ship with weapon power.

The toughest ship we should be send to fight alone is a Borg Sphere. The Cube and the Tactical Cube should be tough enough to require a fleet of ships.
I'd be wiling to compromise and say that a single player can beat a Cube if he is experienced as many forum posters are, at least on normal difficulty, but even then it should still be a challenge. The current Dreadnought class NPC vessels fit that bill, I think. But normally, you want 3-5 players to beat a Cube and 5-10 to beat a Tactical Cube. I don't think weneed to demand fleets of 39 ships these days - I can live with Starfleet and the KDF advancing their tech more quickly currently than the Borg, as the Borg has suffered a severe setback. But there is no need to let any VA solo a Cube (and really expect this to happen all the time, which the game currently does, sending us against Cubes regularly in B'Tran Exploration missions.)

But this was said so many times, and Cryptic still didn't get the message. They instead introduced B'Gers to give us a more challenging Borg. They still fail to see that this doesn't reflect the true feel of the Borg.

Other than this power issue. I think the Borg are overdone now.
There is a Federation/Klingon war going on, isn't there?
Why do we not have a Klingon invasion zone somewhere?
Why are there no STFs to destroy a Klingon or Starfleet research or production facility?

Or should the Federation and Klingons simply call for a cease-fire and form a temporary alliance to deal with their common enemies, Borg, Undine and Iconians?
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post

We need more variety. Maybe some of those variations won't be for everyone but at least they will have a choice as to where they get their enjoyment.
Will they though?

You can't say we have that many options to begin with when it comes to different ways to enjoy ourselves in this game.

We either do repeatables, craft or pvp, (actually scrap the pvp, they are to rare to be counted now) and neither of those things have much of any diversity.

I mean, i can play through most repeatables in a single day if i wanted to, and then what? Start over to get mission rewards i'll end up deleting any way because i'm drowning in them already?

I'd be a tad happier if they attached a ROG (random object generator) to produce different mission rewards, that way there is at least a little bit of expectation involved...
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm thinking the only way to take a Cube on in a one on one situation is if it was badly damaged and resuming course, leaving the defending fleet a drift, only to have you hunt it down by scanning warp particles and then finish it off through some mini game. Everything is about scanning 5 things or killing 5 things. Mix it up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
What is your alternative?

Make sure all the factions are balanced in terms of content?

Borg are big and bad. At least one none player faction has to be just that. I hope your not feeling sorry for the Breen and how they only have a tiny little bit of space :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I'm thinking the only way to take a Cube on in a one on one situation is if it was badly damaged and resuming course, leaving the defending fleet a drift, only to have you hunt it down by scanning warp particles and then finish it off through some mini game. Everything is about scanning 5 things or killing 5 things. Mix it up.
The only way i saw a cube get blown up were if a team transported to it and screwed something up with the warp core or something in the movies.

Iirc i have never EVER seen a cube get destroyed from getting attacked by ships.

Then again my knowledge of such things are pretty bad so i can be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I think I made a similar thread not long ago.

Its not just that the Borg are not really Borg = by far not menacing enough.... they are just BORING like hell!

I mean the Borg were intimidating because they RARELY appeared and when they did it became serious.

Now... they are not dangerous and we fight them over and over and over and over again and again and again...

The Star Trek universe contains MANY MANY intresting potential enemys AND the message was about something like discovering new worlds = a NEW intresting enemy would be an option too.

But always the Borg... especially these Borg... has gotten SO boring and repetitive...
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
To an extent, but greater mission variety could be achieved in the most simplistic way by simply randomizing the amount of enemies you fight. All the game does it throw 5 or 6 groups at you. What are these ships doing floating around out there anyway. They are close enough to respond to their buddy getting popped but they just sit there and wait their turn. I'm sure that's easier to code but it's not terribly compelling. So maybe you respond and find only 1 or 2 enemy ships (or groups thereof), you win and receive a varied amount of reward based on the general time and effort required to eliminate the small or large threat.

The Romulan missions might have a more specific mission option (randomized of course). You are responding to a distress signal and when you arrive there are no survivors. You locate some trace element and proceed to investigate but at some point a Romulan War Bird decloaks and opens fire. Maybe they beat you, maybe you defeat them, maybe you disable and arrest them. Maybe they surrender or initiate self destruct. That's specific to a cloaking race so it wouldn't make sense to code it to happen with the Breen.

A few race specific mission options might not be so bad. I mean, look at the Borg missions that have them searching for relics from their third dynasty. So generic it's boring. They can do better than this.