Lt. Commander
# 211
11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
It would be nice if this was close to true. They didn't even get close to Ground zero to start over. a good percentage of this game, is exactly the same has it has been since LAUNCH. The "new Tutorial" when I last played it (its been a good month) was the same as the old one, with some reduction in the amount of Do X and Get X in it. Nothing more. It wasn't new, in any definition of the word.

The problem is Far from just "us" The Dev team has been less than honest with us, on several occasions the Development of F2P being one.

The updates have been promised in some cases ins LAUNCH (hello KDF I'm looking at ya) and have in the case of the KDF, been pushed back, yet AGAIN. At a point, people get tired of things like this and fire back. That point has been reached now by a percentage of players and as such, they are pushing back. It does not help cryptic that they do things like call the F2P conversion S5, when a large portion of what we were promised in S4, wasn't delivered.

So yes it is a LOT of negative comments. But its not without reason, or cause. The point has been reached by many, and more seem to be hitting it as well.

Quoted for truth.

I love the they get slammed for anything they do comments, because in all honesty, they know what they are doing will make "SOME" unhappy. The question now to be asked is, SOME = how many and will it even matter ?
Judging by the nearly unanimous responses "SOME" is an ever growing majority in the forums. Yes, there are a few that take issue with "all this negativeness" but to those few I would ask: Why bother with forums, if you don't want, or listen to your customers?
When you communicate with people, you get, what you get. Asking people to withhold what they believe to be true, is like asking to be voted "best MMO of the year", after the year we've had. It takes a brass pair.
Oh how swell it would be if you could simply tell people how they SHOULD respond to these changes. Countries have tried it, but none that I would want to live in.

As far as the feedback hasn't been constructive enough concerns, I beg to differ again. There have been threads upon threads of constructive feedback on how to address some of the key issues.

The problem lies with the NEW STO philosophy in my opinion. Where the expectation is to get lots of transient players, who will come in droves due to it being free to play, and the draw of Star Trek fandom.
Where upon the hopes that if you put enough nifty shiny distractions in the C store, or at the end of a very long stick, then perhaps some of these masses may spend money. Hey, if they then get tired of the
endless grind, or lack of content and leave, so what ! We have their money already ! They'll come back for the next dribble of content, or awesome new nifty C store whatever the hell, and we'll get their money again !

Transient PAYING players in an endless money grab, with a reduced entertainment factor in lue of a new grindy experience for a few nifty restricted carrots, that's what the new philosophy is. The problem is US. The subscribing current players. Who demand something for their subscription that entertains, not more things to spend MORE and MORE money on, or an ever increasing grind. We demand too much, we ask for new content and a fun gaming experience. And we ask for VALUE for our subscriptions.

I would ask Stephen, what projections do they expect of current gold subscribers switching to silver and is this the plan? Players playing for free, will be less demanding I bet. Hey, why you complaining? It's not like you are actually paying to play anymore. You can wait. Come back whenever we get around to giving you something new....whatever.

But then there are the lifers, like me. We bought into a game that offered us some entertainment value, with promises of more to come, lots and lots of promises I might add. This past year has been a difficult one to be sure, some things weren't Cryptic's fault, but before anything worthwhile really kicks in, before we get
something for our loyalty and patience, we get a total game changing experience geared toward the free to players. Where the game has to make money on everything they do since they aren't subscribing. Where do we fit in all this then? We've paid into a game with our expectations, and that right there is the problem. We gambled and lost because the major philosophy and focus of the game has been changed right out from underneath us.
I guess we can shut up and go pound sand then right?
Because that will restore goodwill ?
Just wait, in a few days when all this goes live, just wait for the feedback then......
Lt. Commander
# 212
11-29-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in this sentiment, but I dare not speak for anyone else. With that said:

If I wanted to play an Asian money-grabbing F2P MMO, I would have played Forsaken World or something along that type.

What Cryptic fails to understand are several things:

1) This game did not start out as F2P, so stop treating it as if it was always beta
2) We pay at least $15/month. Paying more than that as a subscriber should be optional, ****NOT MANDATORY****! it's ok for silvers, but unacceptable for golds.

We should not have to put up with diminishing returns on the dilithium conversion! Stop punishing us because we were loyal!
Because we paid a subscription fee, we should not have to forced to buy ships in the C-Store, exchange dilithium for points, or use dilithium in any part of crafting!

We pay at least $15/month, so there should be no refining cap *at all* imposed on us. You've already capped how much dilithium you can trade for C-Points, so the cap is stupidly redundant.

You said you were going to unify currencies, but we still have the same amount. The only difference is that you guys now make us fill our banks to (again) force us into the C-Store to buy more slots. Do you really think I'm too stupid to not see that? Really?

Grinding on the scale you want us to should also be optional. I couldn't care less about the exploration clusters or event calendar. I don't want to run STF's many multiples of times to get my gear. Stop punishing me for doing what I want, and not what you want, in this game and stop trying to ruin my fun if I choose something other than your desires of me!

I'm tired of being treated like a dog toy that's been chewed up and made useless. That's not what I play an MMO for.

Cryptic, this is not an "I quit" post, but one of sheer disgust for your lack of ethics. I'm a lifer, so I will remain in this game, even if it's only once in a blue moon from here on out.

I want you to fix this insanity before you put this to holodeck, and announce the firing of people who ok'ed this sick joke! I am no longer looking for people to bow out gracefully in this. This could have been a better game, but you kept dilly-dallying and trying to railroad people who were loyal to you. It's *has* to stop!
Lt. Commander
# 213
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulDjinn
But then there are the lifers, like me. We bought into a game that offered us some entertainment value, with promises of more to come, lots and lots of promises I might add. This past year has been a difficult one to be sure, some things weren't Cryptic's fault, but before anything worthwhile really kicks in, before we getsomething for our loyalty and patience, we get a total game changing experience geared toward the free to players. Where the game has to make money on everything they do since they aren't subscribing. Where do we fit in all this then? We've paid into a game with our expectations, and that right there is the problem. We gambled and lost because the major philosophy and focus of the game has been changed right out from underneath us.
I guess we can shut up and go pound sand then right?
Because that will restore goodwill ?

Just wait, in a few days when all this goes live, just wait for the feedback then......
Nice summary of the LTS situation (and at least for me, the motivation in buying an LTS at the end of the original 2009 closed beta.) I can honestly say that, as a long time Star Trek fan (since 1969) - when I bought it; I thought the game had great potential, and when Daniel Stahl took over - really figured I'd at least get what I felt my money's worth over the life of the game...

What a difference a year makes...

I('ve been in a company that went through a sell of and re-acquisition, so I did have some sympathy for what Cryptic as a company went through in that - and was willing to be patient and see how it all worked out...

But, since:

- The acquisition by PWE and the change in communication Cryptic in general seems to have trgarding it's STO playerbase.

- The departure of Daniel Stahl

- The decisions and lack of any real honest and upfront communication from thr temporary replacement EP - Mr. Stephen D'Angelo (and the majority of his 'Dev Blogs' IMO weren't ritten by him or if they were they were also gone over by Cryptic marketing - and in one admitted occassion - re-edited by Stormshade)

- Some vety POOR decisons either by Cryptic/PWE management or the new temp EP - or a combination of both.

I at this point honestly regret my decision to purchase a LTS - and futher regret a great many C-Store purchases I made as well. Now, I wasn't under any sort of duress; and made all those purchases of my own free will - but I never though I'd see the day where I honestly fekt tregret in doing so.

In the end is is just a game; and there ARE many fine people working on it - and working hard. That said, I honestly believe that A LOT of the decisions made as a result of converting the game to a F2P model were very poor and not well considered; and as a result - the game is no longer moving toward Daniel Stahl's oft stated goal of 'making it feel "more Star Trek" - and that's sad and regretable in itself.

I'm in for the long haul, as I'm sure I will continue to log in and use what my LTS provides me; but there was a time when:

- I looked forward to posts from the STO EP

- Looked forward to Tribble and Holodeck patches as they usually upgraded or improved some aspect of STO for me.

But now, neither is the case as:

- The Dev Blogs from the EP say nothing of nothe to the existing playerbase overall, but usually just regurgitate what we've aleready discovered viia other means.

- The patches just change more of STO for t(IMO) the worse overall; and usually (and even more than was the case previously) ADD more bugs then they fix.

Again, that's just sad.
Lt. Commander
# 214 The Loyal-The Forsaken
11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Once again, here we are, thousands of Forum posts, every concern, issue, bug, dislike and down right hated idea we have tested on tibble put forth to see it all thrown under the rug. We have all made suggestions, and it's like "Father Knows Best" (did I date myself well enough for you finally)??
What about us, the Ones that stayed on here, without any real reason to do so ???
What about the loyalty, the acceptance and understanding we have shown a team that has given us nothing....I Frakin mean Nothing to show simple gratitude for it ??
What about the way we fell about these changes, did you even read the first post and actually take it to heart ???
Jaded atm is an understatement for the way I am feeling....I wish this game luck....Because the direction you are headed....It's something i feel you're gonna need alot of.
Lt. Commander
# 215
11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
Fox news has better business sense then Cryptic
only slightly... I suppose their viewers are also more likely to forget things that were previously said so less hypocrisy, lies and slander make it into the open...
Lt. Commander
# 216
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I LOL'd when I read Season 5. I had a feeling they were gonna do that.

Doesn't bother me. I've already totally written this game off. I never play anymore. I think I've logged like 3 hours since F2P hit Tribble; I wanted to try for the Tribble rewards, but then I thought to myself, "Why?" It's not like there's gonna be any new content to use my new rewards in. No new zone, no new bosses, no new missions, nothing. Still the same crap.

That's why I never buy off the C-Store anymore. So I can buy an Exeter class... Great. Too bad I get to fly it in the same tired old missions I've been playing since launch.

Cryptic keeps saying it's a business. I understand that. And I'm going to address this to them on that level.

I have no desire to do business with your company anymore. I don't feel like I'm valued as a customer, and I feel there are better products for me to spend my money on by your competitors.

See, I have to earn my money. Nobody gives it to me for doing nothing. I actually have to produce something to earn that paycheck. Likewise, Cryptic must earn my money as a consumer. Your business can't produce nothing and expect me to continue paying you for it. Bottom line: you're not earning my money. Your matrix indicates that you don't value me as a Gold member. Your lack of communication on the forums indicates that you don't value our feedback. Your lack of content development indicates you don't value our time or money. Basically, you expect something for nothing.

It's too bad, too. I have plenty of money to burn. I'm not rich, but I budget my money very carefully. I typically end up with a few hundred dollars left over each month (which I use to pay down debt). If I took $30 or so per month of the top for gaming entertainment, well, it certainly wouldn't be missed by anyone. And if Cryptic had actually produced something of value this past year, I would be more inclined to do so.

But I can't. You don't have a product worthy of my money. Your product is skimpy, buggy, unpolished, and sub-par.

I only need two words to tell you what IS worthy of my money: Ember Isle.

Now you know who's getting my money instead of you: Trion. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. But I have more to do in Rift than I ever did in STO, and an entire zone devoted just for endgame characters beats all the STF's combined x 50. They put out content at a breakneck pace that actually works. You have bugs in this game from launch. You don't even have two factions.

In short, Cryptic is incompetent. From the top down, Cryptic is incompetent. You cannot hack it, you cannot hang with the big boys, you got beaten soundly.

I want to say "You get an A for effort," but I just can't bring myself to do so. I don't believe it's true.

I'm not trying to knock the devs. I know you work hard. But can you please explain to me how you think you do a good job when disruptor dual heavy cannons STILL don't make any firing sound when you use CRF3? I believe I submitted a bug report on that about a month after Head Start. Yes, you read that correctly: about a month after Head Start. That is merely one example of the ineptitude and lack of effort on polishing this game that I've seen from some of the devs.

I cannot cancel my subscription because I'm a lifer. But I can stop playing your game, and I can stop giving your company money it doesn't deserve. And I've already stopped doing both.

It's nothing personal. It's just business. And as a business, I'm sure Cryptic will understand.
Lt. Commander
# 217
11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
only slightly... I suppose their viewers are also more likely to forget things that were previously said so less hypocrisy, lies and slander make it into the open...
If you say so. I am not going to get into this argument with anyone because this is not the thread for it, even though I disagree with you.

DC Universe give subscribers more for their money then Cryptic does. They are doing much better at adding new content as well.
Lt. Commander
# 218
11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Logging out tonight also gets you a nice big patch. I wonder if they're trying to sneak this garbage in sooner than later.
Lt. Commander
# 219
11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
Don't turn this thread into a political flame war.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 220
11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
Logging out tonight also gets you a nice big patch. I wonder if they're trying to sneak this garbage in sooner than later.
It would not surprise me. Instead of doing stuff the the right way Cryptic like to push the half a** job done onto there customers. There still is not a full second faction and they want to go F2P without a full second faction witch is a must in any MMO.