Lt. Commander
# 31
11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
That might be workable then, but in general the learning curve in Eve is brutal. STO might go a little too far in the other direction, but there is something to be said for attracting the largest possible playerbase.
Isn't the problem with Eve that due to it's skill learning system that it's impossible for new players to get an even footing with veterans? Mission-based experience points and a level cap would solve that. But I'd have no objection to any myriad of different ship load-outs for mining, hauling, combat (PvE and PvP), even racing perhaps?

The challenge is making it accessible so that anyone can pick up and play, but also complicated enough that the hardcore find a reason to stay. Different spheres of gameplay (combat, exploration, diplomacy, mining - all integral parts of Star Trek's universe really) should not necessarily have any impact on each others' levels of intricacy.
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Good lord some of you just do NOT know what an NDA is. As far as I know, the NDA is STILL in effect, so those of you talking about your experiences in the game are right now VIOLATING the agreement you made with Bioware. It doesn't matter if you liked your experience or not, an NDA is a LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT, meaning you are breaking that legal agreement.

There has been no messages about the NDA being lifted..
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalshion View Post
Good lord some of you just do NOT know what an NDA is. As far as I know, the NDA is STILL in effect, so those of you talking about your experiences in the game are right now VIOLATING the agreement you made with Bioware. It doesn't matter if you liked your experience or not, an NDA is a LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT, meaning you are breaking that legal agreement.

There has been no messages about the NDA being lifted..
There was a huge notice of the NDA being lifted on the launcher before this beta weekend began.

It was there all weekend. It is also posted under the news section in the forums.

Maybe you missed it, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Isn't the problem with Eve that due to it's skill learning system that it's impossible for new players to get an even footing with veterans?
Some of that, some of the fact that game time is almost equal to real time in some tasks. There is a fine line between MMO game and life-simulator that I think gets a little fuzzy. It has really good parts, but really monotonous parts, too.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
There was a huge notice of the NDA being lifted on the launcher before this beta weekend began.

It was there all weekend. It is also posted under the news section in the forums.

Maybe you missed it, eh?
Yep, you're right. Had a friend of mine point that out to me on the main board!
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Some of that, some of the fact that game time is almost equal to real time in some tasks. There is a fine line between MMO game and life-simulator that I think gets a little fuzzy. It has really good parts, but really monotonous parts, too.
As a great man once said (who I've quoted once tonight already - what a guy) "You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Thing is, what I'd want is a game where people who literally have nothing else to do can pay 15 bucks a month to wile away their hours in-game and have plenty to do, whereas those folks who can only play a few hours a week maybe, would also have engaging gameplay. Those two types of gameplay would no-doubt differ hugely of course.

One would be considered dull and boring by the other other, and vice versa one would be considered way too quick bang bang skid skid to be of any appeal.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
As a great man once said (who I've quoted once tonight already - what a guy) "You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Thing is, what I'd want is a game where people who literally have nothing else to do can pay 15 bucks a month to wile away their hours in-game and have plenty to do, whereas those folks who can only play a few hours a week maybe, would also have engaging gameplay. Those two types of gameplay would no-doubt differ hugely of course.

One would be considered dull and boring by the other other, and vice versa one would be considered way too quick bang bang skid skid to be of any appeal.
Yeah, but I think you are forgetting that STO is geared to mass-market appeal while EVE is a fairly niche title. Its big with the hardcore crowd, but what crowd has more popultion in it do you think? Casual or hardcore?

I don't think this game is perfect by a long shot, but I don't think adding some of the elements from EVE will improve it either.
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalshion View Post
Yep, you're right. Had a friend of mine point that out to me on the main board!
Here is an article to back up your friend.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11...-spared-furth/
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but I think you are forgetting that STO is geared to mass-market appeal while EVE is a fairly niche title. Its big with the hardcore crowd, but what crowd has more popultion in it do you think? Casual or hardcore?

I don't think this game is perfect by a long shot, but I don't think adding some of the elements from EVE will improve it either.
I'd say Eve is a game for the hardcore or the folks who have little else to do. As a casual gamer myself I certainly couldn't commit to a life in Eve Online. But, while there I did meet more than a few retirees who had multiple Eve accounts and spent their days spider-mining (that's using multiple ships on different accounts to mine the same asteroid belt).

I would say adding mining of such Star Trek essentials as tritanium and dilithium to STO shouldn't be considered a bad thing. As I said before, just because it's an option, it shouldn't be required that every player do it - only those who want to - and that would drive a sort of player-focused economy - who will sell it for the least amount of energy credits, for example?
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Just like many other people on here, I also played TOR's beta weekend. A lot of what has already been said I agree with.

It is very pretty, and I quite like the cartoony approach to the graphics. The voice acting and overall storyline (for the Inquisitor class at least) was brilliant, and some of the dialogue options had me in fits of laughter. That said, I expect this kind of thing in a Bioware game, and they had done something very similar in Mass Effect 2, so it was no real problem for them to import it into TOR.

Their crew skills system, or crafting, is a lot like STO's DOff system, only a lot simpler. If I had to decide between the two systems, I'd go with the DOffs any time. Much more interesting. The crafting side of crew skills reminded me of WoW's crafting system. Very few useful items at low level, just stuff to grind until you max the skill.

Speaking of WoW, TOR's entire ground based gameplay may as well be a direct import of WoW, they are that similar. This was one of the more disappointing things in TOR I felt. They could have at least done something to make it feel different.

TOR's space combat has guaranteed that even after F2P hits STO, they will still get my subscription money. The world's most expensive MMO to date, in the Star Wars universe no less, and the best they can do is a tunnel shooter. What a pile of ****. Like everything else, it is very pretty, but space gameplay is utter ****.

Pros: VO, dialogue, storylines.
Cons: It's WoW in space, crafting, "space" combat, few character customisation options.

Yeah, I'll get it at some point, but I'm in no real rush for it.