Lt. Commander
# 221
11-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post

DC Universe give subscribers more for their money then Cryptic does. They are doing much better at adding new content as well.
too true, I've been playing that a LOT more than STO... they have more content in general...
Lt. Commander
# 222
11-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
too true, I've been playing that a LOT more than STO... they have more content in general...
I was expecting much more content (missions) in STO all along based on my experience seeing the content (mission) growth in other MMOs all these years.

It's especially disheartening to see new MMOs lap STO in under a year.

All I can think is that STO must have a TEENY-TINY development crew in comparison to EVERY OTHER MMO out there.

If that's the case, then from the beginning STO was never designed to compete on content. The entire sales plan must have been "People like the IP. It will sell just for that reason." Some suit threw together a skeleton crew of programers and designers and told them they needed to deliver SOMETHING. It didn't have to be much, it just needed to exist and make money.

And for what it was, it worked. That basic starting premise, "People like the IP, it will sell just for that reason" is completely and totally true. Good Star Trek games are few and far between, and a MMO showed the most promise because MMOs change over time, meaning that if it did suck, it wouldn't have to stay that way. Frankly, it's what the Trekker gamers have been waiting for for a long time. There was no way it could have failed to make initial sales.

If all the nonsense has been this sort of executive meddling from day 0 with too much work and not enough manpower, I DO NOT BLAME THE DEVS for one second.

That being said, I HATE the insulting spin machine, I HATE the over promising and under delivering, and I HATE that the boundless potential of a Star Trek MMO had to be SQUANDERED on a petty cash-in. If STO fails or stays forever mired in ambivalence, it will be some time before anybody is allowed the chance to do it as well as it deserves to be done.
Lt. Commander
# 223
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Season 5: The Final Fail
Lt. Commander
# 224
11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't care if no content ever came, it's the lies, the BS, the back-stabbing, the lack of fan and player support... that stuff is awful and needs to stop... and obviously, Dan left either by being fired for havingtoo much integrity or because he saw what was going to happen and had too much integrity to stay and watch.
Lt. Commander
# 225
11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelDuin
I was expecting much more content (missions) in STO all along based on my experience seeing the content (mission) growth in other MMOs all these years.

All I can think is that STO must have a TEENY-TINY development crew in comparison to EVERY OTHER MMO out there.

If that's the case, then from the beginning STO was never designed to compete on content. The entire sales plan must have been "People like the IP. It will sell just for that reason." Some suit threw together a skeleton crew of programers and designers and told them they needed to deliver SOMETHING. It didn't have to be much, it just needed to exist and make money.

And for what it was, it worked. That basic starting premise, "People like the IP, it will sell just for that reason" is completely and totally true. Good Star Trek games are few and far between, and a MMO showed the most promise because MMOs change over time, meaning that if it did suck, it wouldn't have to stay that way. Frankly, it's what the Trekker gamers have been waiting for for a long time. There was no way it could have failed to make initial sales.

If all the nonsense has been this sort of executive meddling from day 0 with too much work and not enough manpower, I DO NOT BLAME THE DEVS for one second.

That being said, I HATE the insulting spin machine, I HATE the over promising and under delivering, and I HATE that the boundless potential of a Star Trek MMO had to be SQUANDERED on a petty cash-in. If STO fails or stays forever mired in ambivalence, it will be some time before anybody is allowed the chance to do it as well as it deserves to be done.
I am forced to agree with my esteemed colleage...
Very well stated, sir.
Especially the last part...
Lt. Commander
# 226
11-30-2011, 01:03 AM
I see that there the leveling should easier, but what about us subscribers who are at VA. Will the VA be able to be Admirals?
Lt. Commander
# 227
11-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Season 5... A Call To Arms... You have got to be kidding me. How about Season 5.. The year of broken promises instead.

Benedict Arnold.

The Boy who cried wolf.

Cryptic promising more content. (regular season episodes 2011)

Anyone else seeing the pattern?

Ground content revamp for 2011, a system thats been buggy and just crap since its inception. Run up to a mob to melee with a batliff and have to wait up to two seconds before the game realizes that your in range... fun stuff.

Now we get a dilithium sink hole, a regression of the crafting system back to worthless, but we get to level faster just so we can cap out in order to have more time to grind in season 5.

And there still is no star-fleet/klingon war the two sides are cooperating more than ever.

I have never seen a company disregard its existing base to go after a non loyal traditionally hopping base of f2p players, instead of making the game better to draw in more subscribers, the game has been dumbed down and stretched out(grinding) in the hopes of getting a couple of bucks before the f2p players leave.

Cryptic is really making it hard for me to find a reason to continue playing this game.
Lt. Commander
# 228
11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg_LSM
This. I made VA before starting the Romulan arc. 3 weeks total play to reach VA, and that was only about an hour or two each day during the week and around 5 to 6 hours each day on the weekends. Is there an unmentioned goal to not only have an influx of new players but to also have an influx of VAs running around?
My Orion test subject on Tribble made it to LG before competing the Devidian story arc, which means she's only played the first of the (rather few) Klingon story chains and other than a running a couple of explore missions and one Devidian mission twice, I didn't repeat any missions.

I had thought they'd artificially sped up levelling on Tribble to get people to test end game content and expected it to be slowed way down for release as its already too fast on Holodeck and adding DOff XP would make it quicker. Now I hear they want to make it even faster, here's an idea. Why not just start everyone as a Vice Admiral and skip the whole levelling process altogether? That seems to be what they are aiming for!
Lt. Commander
# 229
11-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducesettutamen
Fox news has hot chicks as anchors. Cryptic could learn a thing from that kind of business model.
The players sure have, have you noticed how most KDF toons are hot Orion babes!
Lt. Commander
# 230
11-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelDuin

I have to agree with you. I bought STO (and my LTS) because it was Star Trek. I wasn't looking for an MMO (this was my first one), I wanted to play in the Star Trek universe and STO promised that and being Star Trek, it just had to succeed (or so I reasoned when I purchased my LTS).

In my opinion, STO is getting to be less trek with every new season at the moment - far too many magic spells being thrown around in space and ground (if I wanted to spend my time casting magic spells, I'd be playing WoW), far too much combat basis. The game can still be fun in certain areas but that is mostly due to the people you play with, rather than anything particular about the game itself.

This game sold because it was Star Trek but free to play or not, it can only be successful if it is a good, fun game and Cryptic is failing to make it so.