Lt. Commander
# 91
11-30-2011, 09:36 AM
So you finally show your cards eh cryptic. The sole reason for dilithium was to money grab and not to slow level progression as you previously said.
Oh how we all fell for your elaborate lies, not!

As spoken by Obisek in the mission "coliseum": Now you see. Now you KNOW!

My question though is this: why bother to rush everybody to VA so fast when after ploughing through the missions, you get to VA and realise there is nothing to actually do when you get there, quit?

Unless you have some master plan that would out do brains taking over the world plans, like I dont know, adding some endgame content, I am not seeing anything currently ingame that will keep them playing. Especially when they realise that they would have to do the same few dailies for months just to get enough dilithium to oufit a ship worthy enough of being able to do even the normal versions of the stf's.
Not only that, but when they trudge through the mud that is endgame for those months and get some mk x gear, they are then met with yet another few months grind to get borg gear.

If they survive the first few months grind doing the daillies, I can guarauntee to you they wont bother with the next one.

Oh, I hear you say, they will buy some c-points and get some dilithium with it to shorten the journey.
No, no they wont. You see, f2p players want to play the whole game for free, they will not pay for anything as it goes against the f2p idea, and if they didn't, they wouild allready be playing via the sub option anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 92
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Leveling up in this game is a joke.

This is also my first MMO, and first toon took me about 4 weeks.
Second toon took me 1.5 week
Third toon took me 1 week
the other 10 toons took me 5 days each.

Not even mentioning the Q XP boost weekend or the Borg DSE's, which I could probably level up a toon in 2 days...

Totally rediculous.

Whats next, level up a toon from ensign to VA in 1 day? There must be some financial thoughts behind this, more toons, more stuff per toon, make stuff unlockable per toon instead on account level basis :p

$_$
Lt. Commander
# 93
11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
There must be some financial thoughts behind this, more toons, more stuff per toon, make stuff unlockable per toon instead on account level basis
Obvious economical plan is... obvious?

Also, don't forget, something has to be done to prove that maintaining a Subscription, or better yet, buying a Lifetime is still a worthy option and the more characters you're encouraged to make, the more worthy a Lifetime may seem.
Lt. Commander
# 94
11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I felt the need to highlight the particular bullet point due to the prior comment of leveling being too fast as well as where most of the C-Store ships are at the moment (both with and without console as it stand now on holodeck, excluding shuttlecraft/fighters).

Tier 1 (4 ships)
-Oberth
-Constitution
-NX
-D'Kyr

Tier 2 (3 ships)
-Exeter
-Gladius
-Rhode Island

Tier 3 (2 ships)
-Thunderchild
-Koro'T'Inga

Tier 4 (5 ships)
-Venture
-Bellerophon

-Tor'Kaht
-Vor'Kang
-Puyjaq

Tier 5 (15 ships)
-Defiant
-Dreadnought
-Excelsior
-Nebula
-Intrepid
-MVAM Prometheus
-Nimbus
-Maelstrom
-Nomad
-Hephaestus
-Imperial

-Guramba
-B'Rel
-Marauder
-Kar'Fi
-Varanus

I can see why there'd be a push to get people to Tier 5 since there are more ships in that tier than all the other tiers combined. What does that mean for the other tiers though with this new leveling curve? If Tiers 1 and 2 are to go by quickly, then you have those 7 ships becoming little more than "Oooh, shiny!" items.

Moving on from there, we get into tiers 3 and 4. Both are pretty thin as far as C-Store ships go, which is where the bulk of time leveling is going to take place. I could understand there being more options here for C-Store ships, but there just aren't any at the moment.

Unless there's some sort of sustainability that's being planned for the lower tier ships, I mean something beyond what we have now from current x.5 ships, there's no incentive for anyone to buy a lower tier ship. I'd really hate to see something like the Exeter, a ship that looks awesome to me, not get any love from C-Store patrons because it's not going to be worth the purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 95
11-30-2011, 05:41 PM
EDIT: It's not worth to get into any trouble on my end...
Lt. Commander
# 96
11-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
I would argue that is out of context. The length of the total curve was the subject in the previous discussion. This is why you can max level fast.
The rate of change for the curve at a particular area is the subject of the current discussion. This would allow you to level up fast in the beginning. In effect, drawing out the higher levels.
You've obviously not heard the interviews with Stormshade.

There are also specific comments made by multiple Cryptic employees who stated that the game needed progression to be slowed by some artificial means, due to the ability to max level in a weekend.

How can you fail to not see what is so obvious.
Lt. Commander
# 97
11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminous
You've obviously not heard the interviews with Stormshade.

There are also specific comments made by multiple Cryptic employees who stated that the game needed progression to be slowed by some artificial means, due to the ability to max level in a weekend.

How can you fail to not see what is so obvious.
I think they quite apparently came down on the side of faster leveling, more endgame progression being slowed.

And I think that was inevitable for two reasons:

- Faster leveling makes it easier to finish the KDF and add more factions since it means less missions between level 1 and the cap.

- They're a small team. If they're going to focus on endgame content, they need to be able to "close the book" on leveling content. They need to be free to assume everyone is max level.
Lt. Commander
# 98
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think they quite apparently came down on the side of faster leveling, more endgame progression being slowed.

And I think that was inevitable for two reasons:

- Faster leveling makes it easier to finish the KDF and add more factions since it means less missions between level 1 and the cap.

- They're a small team. If they're going to focus on endgame content, they need to be able to "close the book" on leveling content. They need to be free to assume everyone is max level.
While I'd prefer they did not take this route, you make two good points here. For the past year and a half game direction has been torn between finishing what wasn't finished and looking to the future. It would be nice to only look to the future for a while.

On a personal level I prefer having more leveling content to endgame content. That doesn't appeal to everyone, but I find that having a lot of content at endgame means its going to be tied to a currency/gear system to encourage people to run it, whereas in leveling you are compelled to run it.

I can certainly understand why people would rather level up and then engage the content. I feel it devalues the whole reason to have an experience system in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 99
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

While I'd prefer they did not take this route, you make two good points here. For the past year and a half game direction has been torn between finishing what wasn't finished and looking to the future. It would be nice to only look to the future for a while.

On a personal level I prefer having more leveling content to endgame content. That doesn't appeal to everyone, but I find that having a lot of content at endgame means its going to be tied to a currency/gear system to encourage people to run it, whereas in leveling you are compelled to run it.

I can certainly understand why people would rather level up and then engage the content. I feel it devalues the whole reason to have an experience system in the first place.
It does but I think experience systems in MMOs are a bit flawed to begin with.

I'm in large measure an Explorer on the Bartle type index of gamers and so I'd really like to see more progression in the vein of something like the multiple endings in Catherine, Arkham, or Bioshock.

That is to say, my ideal system would give the player very little info. No charts of specs. On the flipside, no choices would be significantly weaker than others. And power upgrades would come in the form of gear, which identifies itself qualitatively, choices (which don't necessarily tell you what the effects will be), and procedural improvements. (Doing something more makes you better at it.)

I realize you can't have choices like whether to kill Franklin Drake for real because everyone plays in a shared environment to some extent but following the Catherine model, we could have points where we express how we feel about certain things.Like mandatory Counseling sessions, debriefings with Quinn, interviews with Temporal Investigations. And the way you answer questions could organically spec your character on the backend. So you're never looking at hard numbers or s skill screen but instead puzzling out how to answer questions and engage with characters.