Lt. Commander
# 61
11-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Myself and a good number of my SOA fleetmates did the TOR beta this past weekend. We always had something to do, there never seemed to be repetition, and we had genuine fun that we haven't had in a long time playing STO. We've all pretty much laid in a course for Tython and Ord Mantell on the 20th.
Lt. Commander
# 62
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshy View Post
I'm pretty sure at this point we are all aware of this game. Its been the largest source of MMO hype since Warhammer Online came out a few years ago. Last weekend was their final beta weekend, and the final game is slated to be released on Dec 20. With SWTOR racking up pre-orders at an alarming rate will STO be able to stay afloat? Or will it make like a straw hut in a tsunami?
Wait.. When did they start making a new Star Wars game?? Why have I never heard of this???
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Wait.. When did they start making a new Star Wars game?? Why have I never heard of this???
Oh, man....awkward.

They asked us not to tell you. Sorry.

We kind of felt we had to go along to get a beta key.

We feel terrible about it.
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I would say if people want Space combat they will come here or eve online depending on there taste. For story line and content I would have to say SWTOR.

For myself tho after playing STO since Open Beta / Head start I have been REALLY REALLY board in STO, so I am really looking forward to a game that actually has something for me to do. Granted SWTOR's space combat is just a Rail Shooter but after trying it in the Beta I can live with that.

The other good thing is the life I can see the game having, You can make up to 8 character and be Sith or Jedi and each class has its own story and its all voice acted.

I will be here for F2P to get a space fix now and then would love to see a game with SWTOR ground combat and STO space combat that would be really good until then ill pay to play SWTOR and F2P on STO.
Lt. Commander
# 65
11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed playing a bit of SWTOR. I'll be hopping in as soon as I can -- hopefully on the 15th. That's not to say I don't like STO anymore. I have a lifetime sub here and I'm certainly planning on playing both.

What really draws me in is the story. I love good storyline -- it's what catches my interest, makes me want to play more, and just generally lends enjoyment to what would otherwise be, inevitably IMO, a series of repetitive tasks. All of these games will be that, at the core. That's the nature of a computer game. Computers run static programs. Those programs may be huge and complex, but they're still static algorithms, no matter what.

Anyway, I won't deny that SWTOR has it's weaknesses. Namely the customization (not enough, compared to a Cryptic game) and the space combat. But what I like about the story is far greater than any worries I have over the space game. Maybe they'll redo it with a more robust system later, maybe they won't. Either way, I'm having fun and that's all that matters to me. I always have STO here for some real space combat when I want it.

Right now, STO is just not doing it for me. They've shown that they CAN do good story with missions like 'City at the Edge of Never' and the FE series, IMO. But when all's said and done, the bottom line is that they -haven't- done any of those good story missions for almost a full year now. Yes, I know there were all sorts of extenuating circumstances, but when it comes right down to it -- where do I want to spend my time, the place with lots of fun plot to dive into, or the one with a handful of stories I've already played over and over -- it's not that hard a choice really.

I am not really sure what to expect for the future in STO, at this point. Right now, just in terms of business sense, I'm not a huge fan of the EA megacorp, but I have a bit more faith in the EA/BioWare team than I do in PWE/Cryptic. That's not to say that I don't still have hopes for STO. I very much do hope that it bounces back with a ton of new, high-quality content -- a regular sequence of FEs, new end-game content, all that. If and when that happens, I'll most certainly be back to enjoy it. But until then, I'll be hanging out in the Old Republic.
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm burned out on STO right now....was planning on taking a break anyway....but still...scrounging up the money for another game, when most of my paycheck I get from the part time job at my mother-in-law's restaurant goes to catching up on my bills since I got laid off almost 2 years ago...is a low priority. :/
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-30-2011, 11:33 PM
i got to test SWTOR for the last 2 weekends beta tests and i will say that i enjoyed them both although i didnt get the chance to pvp but from what i had time to do i had loads of fun with my story of my BH and SI. And in my opinion as a CE purchaser i feel i had made a very good buy and proud of my decision as also with my lifetime sub with STO which i also still plan on playing as welll. My only complaint for tor is the character creation process, there can be lot more done there. And what i enjoyed was the compainion crafting system, it reminded me a little bit like the duty officer system sort of. But overall very happy with what i am and will be playing. Live long and prosper and may the force be with you all.
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Testing SW:TOR over the Thanksgiving Weekend was a great experience. Game was very clean, hardly any bugs that I noticed beyond what they had in the known issues list. Story was very enjoyable and some times shockingly awesome and brutal. (Hi Dark side sith!)

I look foward to playing the heck out of the game for my free month I'll get with my Pre-order of the game. And if I get lucky to be able to subscribe for longer, I'll play it since I'm paying for it. Other wise I'll still have my F2P games (DDO, Champions Online, DCUO) And my Life time sub here on STO that goes F2P in a Month and change.. So SWTOR is an awesome experience one that I'm sure they will grow on. Let's just hope Bioware grows it in the right way.
Lt. Commander
# 69
12-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I found out about Star Wars The Old Republic in 2008.
Lt. Commander
# 70
12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerUK View Post
I found out about Star Wars The Old Republic in 2008.
Right. He was being sarcastic.