Lt. Commander
# 31
12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a question regarding Performance skillls. For example if I have 9 ranks (the maximum) on Shield Performance but I also have a console which is +5 shield performance. Would it stack or would I get no additional benefit as shield performance is already maxed out. In such a case, would it be better for me to only invest in 4 ranks on shield performance skill and use the console to get 9 ranks of shield performance?
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceJim View Post
I have a question regarding Performance skillls. For example if I have 9 ranks (the maximum) on Shield Performance but I also have a console which is +5 shield performance. Would it stack or would I get no additional benefit as shield performance is already maxed out. In such a case, would it be better for me to only invest in 4 ranks on shield performance skill and use the console to get 9 ranks of shield performance?
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been taking a break from the drama of the F2P testing.

You have a misunderstanding of skill ranks and skill bonuses and ship equipment. Each rank in a skill will grant a certain amount of skill bonus per rank. Assuming the skill bonuses hasn't changed recently. Rank 1 in a skill add +18% skill bonus, rank 2 add another +18% (+36% tota), rank 3 add +18% (+56% total), rank 4 add +10% (+66% total), etc. Skill Bonus is the number that is directly affects Captain and Bridge Officer abilities and ship stats.

Ship consoles and equipment add to skill bonus not still rank. From your example with Shield Performance of Rank 9 (+99% skill bonus) and a +5 Shield Performance from Ship Equipment, you will have a Shield Performance skill bonus total of +104% skill bonus. To answer you question, if you want to mini-max Shield Performance, you'll want 9 ranks in addition to any other Shiled Performance skill bonuses you can get.

As to updating my Power Guide, I've been waiting until the new space skills changes set into place, more or less. It looks like the cement is almost set. So it looks like my updates will be coming soon.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for clarifying my question. I've been toying with the new skills using up lots of respecs...and yes...you are correct.

I really appreciate your hard work for the community.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 34 need questions answered
12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
ok what are engineeres good for in shipwise same as tactical and science.
are engineers mostly cruisers and tactcal for escorets?
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
My guide has been updated for the new space skills as they are on Holodeck. This update is still a bit of a work in progress. I need to double check my numbers and add to charts.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Slight update to the Weapon Subsystem section. Upon being prompted by some questions, it turn out that enhancer Power Transfer Rate via EPS Flow Regulator Engineering Consoles or via the Starship Electro-Plasma Systems captain skills does have a slight effect on weapon power during combat. The effect is slight due to weapons power being drain and restored so rapidly while weapons are firing. Even with PTR rates in the upper hundreds, it's effect was minimal. The net result was my weapon power not being totally bottomed out by 5 power units wih a large number of energy weapons firing.

So I don't advice going all out to enhance your Power Transfer rate. It's just not worth it. Enhance your Power Transfer Rate because you want your power allocation changes to happen faster.
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Hi.

Thanks for this great guide.
Nevertheless, I have a question about Weapons Power level.

Right now I'm running a 6-beamed cruiser with standard 121 weapon power (100 profile plus console/abilities bonuses).
This config result in my Weapon Power level going down to about 71 when firing a full broadside (121 -50 for the 6 beams fired).
So far so good.

Then come the Emergency Power to Weapons Boff abilities. I know Weapons Power is capped at 125, so, when using EPW 1 (+15 Weapons power level), which one is the correct scenario?:

- Base power 121, then add +15 power, resulting in 125 (hard-capped), and then -50 for the broadside, resulting in 6 beams firing at 75 Weapon power.
- Base power 121, drained by -50 for the broadside to 71, but then adding the +15 from EPW, resulting in 6 beams firing at 86 Weapon power.

Both options are radically different, so it'll be very handy to know which one is the correct one for planning future upgrades.

Regards

L.
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Well.

I'll answer to myself, and also I hope this info can help someone else.

After testing it ingame yesterday, I found that, as of the current patch, the correct scenario is the second one.

The 125 Power Limit is only enforced as a soft cap, but using EPTW or any other Energy enhacing abilities (like MACO shield proc or EPS Power Transfer) are being taken into account when calculating weapon power drain, even if that pushes your power pool above 125.

So If I already have 125 power, and then I activate EPTW 1, I still have 125 max weapon power, but weapon draining is calculate on a 140 power base, (so firing 6 beam weapons results in 125 + 15 -50 = 90 Weapon Power when fully drained).

Regards

L
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry for responding earlier @lokkenjp. Been busy at work and not in the mode to play STO after I get home.

But I'm sorry to have to say your are wrong. This is something that I have tested extensively since game launch. The correct answer of your original post is 1). 125 is the cap when it comes to power. There are no hidden reserves.

Just for you I've rested on on Tribble which is ccurrently the same build as on Holodeck. To controll all variables, I dumped anything which enhanced my Power Transfer Rate. No Electo-Plasma Systems Captain skill. No RCS consoles. No bonuses due to equipment. Although I do admit a +10% bonus I can't account for ATM.

Testing scenarior was weapon power at 100 with a bit more +25 power setting bonuses. This firmly put my Weapon Power at 125. I used 3 Mark X Phaser Beam Arrays set to autofire. Target was a True Way Galor Class ship.

First test WP at 125. 3 Beams is (f0 (free) -10 -10 = -20 maximum weapon power drain). WP at max bottom out should be 125 - 20 = 105. Testing showed Weapon Power bottoming out at maximum of precisely 105 which is equal to the theoretical value.

Send test was same setup as the first. Except Emergency Power to Weapons 1 (EPtW 1)is used. EPtW 1 for my character during testing yielded +16 Weapon Power for the 30 seconds. So theoretical WP is 125 + 16 = 141. So according to you my WP should never dip below 121. During testing of 3 Phasers on auto fire. My WP bottomed out at...105. That is precisely the expected value with WP at a hard cap of 125.

Test 3 and 4 similar to test 1 and 2 except 6 Beam Arrays are used. So max power drain is 0 + 5 * -10 = -50. So weapon power should bottom out at 125 - 50 =75 w/o enhancement.

Test 3 was no EPtW I. WP bottomed during testing at 75 which precisely matches the predicted value.

Test 4 with EPtW 1 running +16 power. WP is theorically at 141. Theoretical bottom out of 91. Testing shows that WP bottoms out at 75. Which is precisely the what is should be with a WP hard cap of 125.

All this testing shows is that Maximum useable and effective power for any subystem is 125. It's a hard cap which Nothing can cause it to be exceeded.
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the answer.

Oddly enough, your test setup seems pretty much like mine, but with completely different results, albeit I used Borg cubes on Sector space encounters as target on GO sector, for their relatively high health pool and lack of punch so I can test throughly. And tested on Holodeck server (before yesterday patch, but I can repeat easily today with newest patch).

This is my test setup: I have 121 base Weapon power on my Sovereign.
I think it is distributed like this: 100 base setting + 5 for cruiser + 9.x from Weapons Performance Skill +4.x from Warp Core Potential Skill + 3.2 from a Plasma Manifold Mk XI console (using as substitute of the borg console, thus avoiding getting near the cap).
Starship Electro Plasma Systems skill at 6, and no EPS consoles or any other EPS enhacements I'm aware of.
First test was with Borg Set Shield, (no Weapon Power Bonus).

Base test is 6 Antiproton Mk XI-XII beams on autofire, draining the expected 50 WP, down to 71.

Immediately after that, after finishing one cube, I moved to another one, and repeated the test, this time using EPW1. Test consistently resulted in Weapons Power never going below the 87 threshold during 30 seconds. Repeated twice more times for the same result.

Then I repeated the test using EPS Power Transfer Skill instead EPW1. Consistently with my previous test, power never dipped below 96, (well, I recall seeing 94 once, which is odd and I cannot explain, but it is a pretty small difference).

Also, I double checked it, using this time Standard Issue Phaser Beam Arrays (or were they Mk1?. low damage though, so I can hold a much longer test against the cube). Same result as with Antiprotons.

Finally, I repeated the test again, using MACO Space set shields and waiting for max power buff stack before firing beams, with Borg Console, and two Plasma Manifold consoles (power displayed was 125, theoretical value should be around 139-140).
Popped EPW1 *and* EPS Power Transfer Skill. Weapons Power displayed still 125, but theoretically maximum power could reach up to 182 (140 + 16 + 26). Firing 6 beams resulted in the Weapons Power never moving below 125 during the test (well, I think the cube was destroyed way before the 30 seconds skills finished, though).

I'm ignoring the Power Transfer Rate bonus of EPS Power Transfer Skill, as I'm pretty sure it does have almost no impact in the test.

It would be very nice if a Dev poster could explain us what's going on here...
How can our tests render such different results? I'm pretty sure I didn't make anything 'weird' during the test... pretty straightforward.

L

EDIT: Fixed typos