Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 221
11-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Woot! Just a few more months until I can play full time! This game is awesome, and I can't wait until I get to play the whole game!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 222
11-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitarJ View Post
Woot! Just a few more months until I can play full time! This game is awesome, and I can't wait until I get to play the whole game!
If they let you play for like 2 dollars for like 2 or 3 days you could do that roflmao.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 223
11-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitarJ View Post
Woot! Just a few more months until I can play full time! This game is awesome, and I can't wait until I get to play the whole game!
And it will be a glorious two days until you run out of things to do besides grind, eh?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 224
11-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBody
I'm actually quite pleased that Cryptic has decided to release F2P in January. What we have on Tribble at the moment is not ready for the mass market and I'd hate to see them rush something out just to be out before SWTOR - the game was rushed to get to its first release and we are still suffering the consequences of that (Klingon faction anyone?).

Waiting until 17.1.2012 gives them time to improve their offering but the timing also works to catch those who've tried SWTOR and are being faced with their first monthly subscription payment, giving them a choice - fork out to stay put or come and try STO for free - might just work in Cryptic's favour.

In fact, I'd be happy for them to delay it still further if it isn't looking ready in mid January.
It's not going to be January. It's going to be December 1st-8th. Source here. So F2P officially goes live for people not currently playing STO in mid-January. The paying players get stuck with it over a month earlier.


Z
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 225
11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
It's basically a pre launch open beta, but on the live shard instead of on the test server.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 226
11-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
It's not going to be January. It's going to be December 1st-8th. Source here. So F2P officially goes live for people not currently playing STO in mid-January. The paying players get stuck with it over a month earlier.


Z
Yep, sorry missed that. So Cryptic are not happy with just giving players the option of testing F2P and asking them to do so via Tribble, now they are going to make paying customers test F2P on the live server for six weeks before it launches (as a paying customer, either you test on live or don't play at all - great choice!).

In whose weird form of logic does putting the F2P build live but then charging anyone that wants to use it make any form of sense? (Do they not get that the "F" in "F2P" = Free i.e. no sub required?)

Ignoring the above, given Cryptic's track record for time taken to develop stuff, I seriously doubt what is currently on Tribble will be ready to go live at the start of December. I don't doubt the devs are working hard on the new code but given the development speed we've seen from them so far, they are not giving themselves enough time to do the job properly.

Cryptic, it is apparent that STO F2P has to be successful because if it fails, there is no going back to subscription to try and make STO profitable. Given that, take as long as you need to ensure what you launch as STO F2P is ready and able to succeed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 227
11-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBody
Yep, sorry missed that. So Cryptic are not happy with just giving players the option of testing F2P and asking them to do so via Tribble, now they are going to make paying customers test F2P on the live server for six weeks before it launches (as a paying customer, either you test on live or don't play at all - great choice!).

In whose weird form of logic does putting the F2P build live but then charging anyone that wants to use it make any form of sense? (Do they not get that the "F" in "F2P" = Free i.e. no sub required?)

Ignoring the above, given Cryptic's track record for time taken to develop stuff, I seriously doubt what is currently on Tribble will be ready to go live at the start of December. I don't doubt the devs are working hard on the new code but given the development speed we've seen from them so far, they are not giving themselves enough time to do the job properly.

Cryptic, it is apparent that STO F2P has to be successful because if it fails, there is no going back to subscription to try and make STO profitable. Given that, take as long as you need to ensure what you launch as STO F2P is ready and able to succeed.
I agree completely with you but they had a lot of motivation in their decisions. First one is that they want everyone to stop playing the actual game "holodeck" and be their guinea pigs that pay them to test which it should be the other way around. Another is games like SWTOR are coming out soon after the most recent deadline given to us (which ppl like me won't hold our breathe when cryptic gives deadlines, we've heard this song and dance all year) They do however have this plan that will force players into testing like you stated you either are going to be testing or you unsubscribe if you don't have a LTS. I also agree on the developement because like Borg Red Alerts it was a classic Cryptic cut and paste with a 2 second cinematic and the only real work was possibly the art of making the boss ship (which you can tell that was all thrown together very quickly to retain subscriptions, or keep some money flowing in).

The downfall of all this F2P re-launch as they call it is as follows. The economy changes are more so to help cryptic than to help players and the game (which is a major downfall because the players make your game and your company prosper). The other down fall is this re-launch with bugs, glitches, and any other problem that occured during the begining of STO are still there and remain unfixed. Most of us have to be diehard Star Trek fans to have put up with this game as long as we have. A lot of new people expected to be playing more than likely will be like wth is going on and uninstall the client. You can say I'm negative all you want but its like giving a kid a broken toy for christmas and then look at their sad little face on christmas morning. Then you turn to the kid and say I'm sorry the elves did not have cups, money, or the time due to constant podcasts to make satisfactory toys.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 228
11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
It is a great trailer with many of the cool cinematics and planets the game now has,but so many untruths truly disappoints me.I actually told every Star Trek fan I could find about both fans and actors at the Dallas Star Wars Fan Days event about the the Free to Play change in 2011 and how good it would be.

I now holy regret that decision. I guess the later time to launch table gives me time to max out my main to VC from Commander.Been playing it very slow for 2 years. Was playing to hit Captain and then Admiral after 3 years of casual play. No More!

I wonder how many players with longtime memberships are still non-Captains after the recent announcements. I would expect not many will be taking it slow very much longer.Better get all you can out of this game while you an.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 229
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm excited for this game going free to play. The more people we get the better. Why are some people saying it's becoming pay to win? This is a greatmove for Star Trek and the more people we can get to play the better. This game needs to grow it's player base to include people who aren't whiny forum trolls who have this strange sense of entitlement when it comes to this game. Buying a ship in the C-Store does not give you a defining advantage in PVP. Now that the skills have been simplified and the combat is focused on reflexes and tactics I'm enjoying PVP more than ever. There was a HUGE amount of Klingons online for once and I actually felt like a warrior for once on my Orion character. I buy the ships in the C-store for the look and feeling I get flying a kick *** starship from my favorite tv show of all time. As this game progresses it gets closer and closer to Star Trek and really, that's what I want as a fan. So far they've done an amazing job on this game and I couldn't ask for more. The effort is there and I appreciate the love that Cryp[tic has shown for the franchise. Little details like Exo-comp companions and the ability to change what your ships windows look like are what i love about this team. They love Star trek too and thanks god for that.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM.