Lt. Commander
# 1 Thermal Issues
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
With the Season 5 release, I am unable to finish creating a character because for some reason that area causes my GPU to overheat. The character selection menu, if I don't click on it fast enough will also cause my GPU to overheat.

I would like to create a new Klingon for Season 5, but am unable to do so.

STO generally runs 20 degrees F hotter than anything else I run, including the other MMO I play. The character selection screen, and now the character creation area cause my GPU to run 50 degrees hotter and causes the game to freeze.

I have a GeForce 8800 GTX. This really shouldn't be happening.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Hrm strange one, try updating your drivers and see if that helps. If not then try forcing v-sync or using a frame limiter. Since there's not much action going on in those areas of the game it could be that your fps skyrockets and is contributing to overheating? Dunno, just a wild guess, something to try at least.

Oh and maybe a quick check of your case for dust on the fans is in order, can of compressed air ftw
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Done all of that. This is an ongoing problem that was particularly apparent over on tribble. Seems that parts of it have moved over to holodeck.