Lt. Commander
# 1 Quad Cannon Vs. DHC?
12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi, just a simple question: Is the new Quad Cannon for either side better than a Mark XI Purple DHC of the same type in terms of raw damage and bonuses?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-03-2011, 10:12 PM
On paper, the dps is the highest, but in practice they're pretty much just dual cannons with a different graphic. As they have no Acc, CritD, or CrtH mods, you are better off with DHC or even DC with good mods.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I was excited about them then found out even my MKX garbage was better... I use MKII stuff currently so you can imagine how disappointed I was
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
The QC look and sound awesome, but stacked next to DHC they are just "meh".
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Great for PvE, not so hot for PvP. Why? To prevent the inevitable run on a "pay-to-win" item. This was one of the few things that Cryptic did right. Not sayin' it was the *best* solution, but they haven't got a great track record with doing things that make a whole lot of sense either.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Yeah, i had the same issue. The damagae was only SLIGHTLY higher than MK XI even though i'm at VA. then add on the bonuses as well as the fact it's phaser only then it's just not worth the money. They should have just added the Sau Paulo as a costume/bridge set and integrated Quad cannons into the game as regular items. Sao Paulo can't even use the cloaking device....
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2011, 02:46 AM
i refuse to but the sau paulo even though i want it purely because of the quad cannons sucking. they should at least be slightly better than DHC but not by much
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2011, 06:14 AM
and Yet it seems everybody was using them in Ker'rat this week end........
passing fad? or just enjoyment of the new graphics?

I even swapped my build to Rupties and used them, not great but certainly on par with my other mkX or mkXI purples in performance, or at least it seemed that way.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geom View Post
i refuse to but the sau paulo even though i want it purely because of the quad cannons sucking. they should at least be slightly better than DHC but not by much
If they were slightly better than the current weapons in game, everyone would be accusing Cryptic of pay-to-win (again).
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-04-2011, 01:41 PM
This is one of those things were I was very excited to see it advertised (as the highest dps cannons in game) then once I learned the weapon stats themselves were mediocre I was no longer interested in buying the ship.

Pay-To-Win is an issue so I understand why quad cannons are mediocre. But at the same time Cryptic could start implementing items and powers so they behave differently in PvP. Giving PvE'ers fun toys that actually feel more powerful yet maintaining balance in PvP.

Besides, I think the whole Pay-To-Win argument is approaching a moot point now with the advent of Dilithium. Any player can buy a bunch of C-Points, Trade them for Dilithium and in turn buy all of the best weapons and ships in the game instantly.