Lt. Commander
Reduced Gameplay Experience and Quality of STFs

The quality, meaning and value of the STF gameplay experience has been diminished with the recent STF changes. The way it is now, there is no storyline, no comprehensive storyline that wraps up STO's main storyline. Before, when STFs were like missions, and followed a natural progression, there was a clear storyline from Infected, to Cure to KA. KA even brought us back around in a neat way to explain the Intro of the game. It was like playing a story, there was a storyline. Now, the STFs have lost their meaning, and have reduced the quality of the storyline.

There is no story really, it is all about grinding shortened STFs to gain useless gear (i'll expand upon that below.) I miss having a story, and I miss having a thoughtful and insightful STF experience. As it is now, the STF experience is nothing more than a rushed way to get Data Chips or Salvage to get gear. Its rushed, its people going in and quickly getting through it as fast as possible now. Being rushed is not a good thing. I think many will agree that the whole STF experience in of itself was one people really enjoyed previously, i.e. sitting down with a group of friends, hunkering down, and having a long and fruitful gameplay experience. There is no gameplay experience now, it's a mishmash of people all gunning to get through it quickly, and hit Need on everything. There is no finesse, there is no story exploration, there is no awe and wonder that STFs use to bring. It is all lost with the splitting up of STFs in this way.

Reduced Value of Gear

On to the gear, with the way the STFs are now, having to grind them 40 times (for data chips) just to get one piece of gear, makes that gear rather pointless to get. If I can do STFs 40 times with my current gear, why do I need this new MACO or Omega gear? I really don't, you've devalued this gear by making us grind for it. To get a whole set, it's going to take 120 STF runs, on Normal, after this I'm pretty much never going to want to do another STF ever again. People get tired of this stuff, grinding so much means there is a point where it isn't fun anymore, and people will stop playing them. I don't need this new gear if I can do 120 STFs with my current gear, it's just not worth it, it's pointless really. There is no incentive for me to get this gear, by the time I have it all, I won't need it, there won't be a use for it.

Here is How You Can Fix It

Here is what you should have done, and can still do, to fix this. Add new STFs. What you should have done is simply keep Infected, Cure, KA the way it was, and the method through with the "Retro STF Gear" is obtained. Then beyond that, there should have been new STFs. Long, and fruitful, just like Infected, Cure and KA were. At the end of the STF, you only get to pick up 1 of the new MACO or Omega gear. Therefore lending the way to have to repeat it 3 times to get the whole set, or 6 times for both sets.

What you should have done is add at least 2 new STFs, that occur AFTER KA, and that you have to have completed Infected, Cure and KA to do. One STF is to get the MACO gear, which you could do 3 times to get the whole set, and the other for the Omega gear, again, repeat 3 times to get the whole set. This would have been acceptable, and what you should have done, and really what you need to do.

What you have now, is unacceptable, it reduces the gameplay experience of STFs, reduces their meaning and quality, as well as reduces the value of the new gear. I think you will find that people are going to get very very tired very very quickly, of this new STF regime.

Please listen to us Devs, please change this back and make STFs meaningful again, and give us new ones to get the new stuff. Signed, a 600 day lifetime member.

-The Doctor
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2011, 02:27 PM
personally I like the new ones the way they are. Im not against having both types in but i suspect that ship has sailed.
Lt. Commander
I would also like to see more STFs that offer story and progression in addition to loot.

The mechanic behind making end-game grind fests is feasible (as proven in other games). HOWEVER, I feel that the introduction of grind-to-gear missions plus the increased difficulty in crafting (or however you would like to describe the change) are to the players detriment.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't track what the devs are up to very closely, so if they happen to be writing and producing a gajillion STFs as I type, that's amazing. If not, I hope they can start. ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I think they should offer both ways. Some people can't spend a couple of hours or so to do a STF the current way does resolve this. I also would like to see the old way the STF were run. If they implemented both ways of getting the gear 40 times for the way it is now or being able to choose one gear if you completed it in the old style. This would appeal to a large group of people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Doc.

For what it is worth, I tend to agree. At this point, with all my mains carrying full Borg and Aegis sets, there is no incentive for me to grind out 120 missions to get the new gear. The perks of the new gear are marginally better than what I can get otherwise - at best.

25% engine power when otherwise disabled? Yeah, Breen.
Warp 9.99? I'll keep the Borg drive at Warp 14, thanks.

For the effort it would take to obtain the new items, I would sooner play PVP until I managed to find myself a Covariant Mk.XI [Capx3] drop.

The only reason I will be playing the new STFs is to take part in fleet activities or to help out new members to our ranks. If Cryptic things I will even consider subjecting myself to a PVE queue for something like KA, then they are tragically mistaken.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Wow,
from This
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
You are never going to get exactly what you want, in a game, embrace change, be thankful for what we are being given, and you'll have a much happier gaming life.
To this, in just a few short days. Maybe, just maybe, instead of bashing all those who had been complaining about it, you should have listened to them. THEY had been on this line of thinking for a bit when you complained about them.

I fully and completely understand your frustrations and disappointment, and am glad you now see what you do, but for the sake of a better forum, before you generalize the negativity as "bashing" hear them out, sometimes you'll find they were indeed on to something.

and for the record. I agree with you, the STF, are not really all that great for storyline at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Reduced Gameplay Experience and Quality of STFs

The quality, meaning and value of the STF gameplay experience has been diminished with the recent STF changes.
There is no story really, it is all about grinding shortened STFs to gain useless gear

On to the gear, with the way the STFs are now, having to grind them 40 times (for data chips) just to get one piece of gear, makes that gear rather pointless to get.

What you have now, is unacceptable, it reduces the gameplay experience of STFs, reduces their meaning and quality, as well as reduces the value of the new gear. I think you will find that people are going to get very very tired very very quickly, of this new STF regime.
-The Doctor
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Well said, Doc.

I agree. Making people grind STFs makes them lose their value, and thus makes the gear lose its value.

Taking away the storyline devalues them further.

Making them harder at the same time makes the whole exercise pointless.

Then, taking the only NEW STF-like experience and making it run only 3 times a week (the Defera invasion) pretty much drops the coffin of "end-game content" in the ground and starts covering it with dirt.

Steps to fix it:
* Put the STFs back to what they were: story-driven single experience missions. Wanna keep the harder stuff? Fine. Bring it on.
* Release "Into the Hive" already. It's only been more of a joke than a promise for the past year. Just get it out there. it can't be any more broken than the first 3 STFs were for a long time.
* Make some more STFs. Good ones, with story and a point, and challenges...not grindy crap.
* Run the Defera invasion as a constant thing, or at least a couple times per day. Give us an actual CHANCE to do it.

Otherwise, you're chasing VAs to PvP or away from the game. "MUST HAVE SHINY" only goes so far.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2011, 02:46 PM
They should of continued the Undine STF line like they saidthey'd do over a year ago. Maybe this new Borg gear is needed for the final Borg STF with the Borg Queen?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I like the STFs the way they are now. I can concentrate on the space portion until I gear up, and then I can move on to the ground portions when I'm ready.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I would like to see the STFs get a bit of a visual revamp as well. The star backgrounds, lighting and scenery is a bit dated compared to the newer stuff the STO team has done with space and interior art.