Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
12-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogobstopper
There is no such thing as "soft" or "de facto" canon in Trek. Ask one of the novel authors* if their novel is in any manner "canon" whatsoever, and they will tell you that is absolutely not. If it was a produced, aired television series or movie, it is canon. If it is a licensed work, it is not canon. It's that simple.

(* Seriously, go ahead. Several authors post on the Trek Literature forum at TrekBBS. This "soft canon" nonsense comes up regularly there, and they all shoot it down.)

Canon or not, whether you read them or not, the novels are all we have left of Star Trek. There is no new TV series in sight. STO is circling the drain, and when it dies it will be the end of Star Trek video games. All that's left is the J.J. Abrams reboot movies. If the next movie is profitable there will probably only be one more in the current continuity. Then Paramount will just reboot it all over again, and Star Trek will become like James Bond and Batman. 40 years from now there will be 5 different actors who played Kirk since Shatner. People will debate on the internet which actor was the best Khan, like they do now for the best Joker. And the version of Star Trek that lasted from 1966 to 2009 will be completely forgotten about except for the novels.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayjer_Adama
Having Sisko in a flashback episode like the ones with McCoy and Scotty would be pretty cool to. Maybe even a new Dax on DS9 handing out missions
Why does it have to be a "new" Dax? Why couldn't it be a middle age Ezri Dax? She would only be 35 years older than the last time we saw her, and we all know that people live longer in the 24th/25th centuries than they do in the 21st. As long as she didn't meet an unfortunate end commanding the Aventine (yeah, I know, not Canon, who cares) she could still be alive and in Starfleet by the year 2409. I'm kind of getting tired of people assuming that every TNG era character must be dead by the time STO takes place.

As for Sisko, I will say again, it doesn't make any kind of sense for him to return after almost 35 years. Either have him return a few months after he left, like what happened in the books, only he spent the last 20 or so years living a quite life on Bajor. Or not have him return at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Canon or not, whether you read them or not, the novels are all we have left of Star Trek. There is no new TV series in sight. STO is circling the drain, and when it dies it will be the end of Star Trek video games. All that's left is the J.J. Abrams reboot movies. If the next movie is profitable there will probably only be one more in the current continuity. Then Paramount will just reboot it all over again, and Star Trek will become like James Bond and Batman. 40 years from now there will be 5 different actors who played Kirk since Shatner. People will debate on the internet which actor was the best Khan, like they do now for the best Joker. And the version of Star Trek that lasted from 1966 to 2009 will be completely forgotten about except for the novels.

The whole reboot thing is starting to get old in my opinion. Personally i'd wish they would do a DS9 show set 40 or 50yrs after The Dominion War. Same station, new crew. So many possible story lines that could be explored.



Why does it have to be a "new" Dax? Why couldn't it be a middle age Ezri Dax? She would only be 35 years older than the last time we saw her, and we all know that people live longer in the 24th/25th centuries than they do in the 21st. As long as she didn't meet an unfortunate end commanding the Aventine (yeah, I know, not Canon, who cares) she could still be alive and in Starfleet by the year 2409. I'm kind of getting tired of people assuming that every TNG era character must be dead by the time STO takes place.

As for Sisko, I will say again, it doesn't make any kind of sense for him to return after almost 35 years. Either have him return a few months after he left, like what happened in the books, only he spent the last 20 or so years living a quite life on Bajor. Or not have him return at all.
I was just using Dax as an example, i'd be totally cool with Ezri on STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogobstopper
There is no such thing as "soft" or "de facto" canon in Trek. Ask one of the novel authors* if their novel is in any manner "canon" whatsoever, and they will tell you that is absolutely not. If it was a produced, aired television series or movie, it is canon. If it is a licensed work, it is not canon. It's that simple.

(* Seriously, go ahead. Several authors post on the Trek Literature forum at TrekBBS. This "soft canon" nonsense comes up regularly there, and they all shoot it down.)
Thanks, saved me a lot of writing...
I hate that "soft canon" nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Canon or not, whether you read them or not, the novels are all we have left of Star Trek. There is no new TV series in sight. STO is circling the drain, and when it dies it will be the end of Star Trek video games.
Thats, pitifully, true too.
But I can enjoy the novels WITHOUT calling them canon.
In fact, I can even enjoy them more... because there are some IMO very bad ones among them (In my opinion, knowing its not the public one.... the Destiny novels are awfull as hell) and I would actually loose my intrest in STar Trek if I had to consider that crap canon...
Although... Generations is conon too

Quote:
All that's left is the J.J. Abrams reboot movies.
Oh I thought you talked about Star Trek... what has that abrahams movie to do with... oh yes the title, fogrot about that.


Quote:
If the next movie is profitable there will probably only be one more in the current continuity. Then Paramount will just reboot it all over again, and Star Trek will become like James Bond and Batman. 40 years from now there will be 5 different actors who played Kirk since Shatner. People will debate on the internet which actor was the best Khan, like they do now for the best Joker. And the version of Star Trek that lasted from 1966 to 2009 will be completely forgotten about except for the novels.
I do not think there will be more reboots.
Star Trek was better while develping further instead of resarting it. The reboot hardly worked and wont work a second time.

Also: the whole "Spacetravel" kind of science fiction genre isnt really working any more in general... its not just star trek..
Remember in the 90s where you couldnt see ANYTHING but sci fi? b5, ususally 2 Star Trek series, Stargate, Farscape, Andromeda, Lexx...
Today? Nothing left. There is not ONE show running that I am aware of.

Quote:
As for Sisko, I will say again, it doesn't make any kind of sense for him to return after almost 35 years. Either have him return a few months after he left, like what happened in the books, only he spent the last 20 or so years living a quite life on Bajor. Or not have him return at all.
As far as I know Sisko was supposed to be gone for good anyway... it was just Avery Brooks who didnt want the people thinking "Oh a black man leaving his pregant wife" who refused to play it unless that gets changed....
But that kind of attitude is something I never liked about Brooks...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Dukat impersonating Sisko. I like.

Really, anything to do with Dukat returning, I like.

He should be the villain of the first expansion.
Oh, don't stop there... Dukat comes back first, impersonating Sisko. Finding his old enemy Garak in charge of Cardassia, he corrupts and uses Garak. Sisko returns at the end to set tings right but can Garak be redeemed before the end?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I wouldn't bet on it.

Two problems:

1. Likeness and costs of employing Avery Brooks and Co. to achieve this would be prohibitively high (based on previous speculation about Data and the Enterprise)

2. CBS oversight it such that I doubt they would approve such a radical change to the "DS9 Status Quo"
In practice I agree. In reality, what has Brooks been in recently? Nothing for like 10 years. His other meal ticket died a few year ago. I would think it is more a rights thing than Brooks wanting to voice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Eh... in the 2409 he would be 77 years old. If Star fleet came around and bothered me when I was 77, I'd be shaking my cane at them while trying to dance next to the ladies on Risa.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG62
In practice I agree. In reality, what has Brooks been in recently? Nothing for like 10 years. His other meal ticket died a few year ago. I would think it is more a rights thing than Brooks wanting to voice.
In practice, Brooks has never said "no" to his likeness being used for Sisko, AFAIK, and has had VERY little interest in playing Sisko again as well.

He has expressed a preference for doing theatre and working as a voice within the African American community.

I don't think he's looking for a meal ticket. He's been wooed into playing Sisko in ONE game but I don't think his heart is entirely in it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
12-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglcny View Post
Eh... in the 2409 he would be 77 years old. If Star fleet came around and bothered me when I was 77, I'd be shaking my cane at them while trying to dance next to the ladies on Risa.....
In STO's timeline, he's spent the last 35 years in the wormhole, outside of time.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 AM.