Lt. Commander
# 11
12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtEliz
basicly ur saying i should quit and come back in 1 year and i get the ship i need when i level up ?

yee right cryptic.
Or, you know, you could do some grinding for Dilithium, and sell it to someone in exchange for some C-Points, and then use that to buy a ship (and unlock it for all your characters). Or as a Gold member, just save up your CPoint stipend for a few months and you should be good to go.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
I hate this. Really, I do. People think you absolutely have to have one of those fancy VA ships to compete at VA, when this is totally untrue.

The so-called VA ships are balanced against the RA ships, and are all T5. There is no T5.5. You do not need them. You are not screwed without the token.
Agreed. I actually went from an Intrepid Refit to a Sovvy after a bit at VA on tribble, because I felt like it. If anything, I got more fun out of the sovvy.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Or, you know, you could do some grinding for Dilithium, and sell it to someone in exchange for some C-Points, and then use that to buy a ship (and unlock it for all your characters). Or as a Gold member, just save up your CPoint stipend for a few months and you should be good to go.
ur idea is good but sadly you dont get dilithium when you level up. no story mission give dilithium so a low lvl cannot get it.

dont wanna be a Va without a Va ship

i wanna be able to get my va ship when i should have it.

not stuck in a RA ship at Va and grind for VA
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
ur idea is good but sadly you dont get dilithium when you level up. no story mission give dilithium so a low lvl cannot get it.
1) Low-level characters don't have need of a VA ship, by the time you need it, you'll be able to grind the Dilithium to get it.

2) Please stop derailing my thread, this is not a thread about the need / lack of need for VA ship tokens. VA Ship tokens are an endgame issue, this is about the enjoyability of leveling a new alt/toon and the change (if any) in the enjoyability of doing so brought about by the recent season(s).
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Ye cause the star cruiser is so much faster and nimbler than a Intrepid retrofit with ablative hull armor and faster turn rate and speed ?

ohh waiiit its turtle vs rabbit mate its not balanced one bit. YOU WILL need a va ship at least i do
That's because one's a defensively laid out cruiser and the other a science ship. Compared to the other T5 cruisers the Star Cruiser is more than competitive and is still one of the best heal boats around, the Excelsior and Galaxy R are CStore ships but there's no PvE in the game where the Star Cruiser will be any more of a hindrance than either of those.

As far as levelling a new character goes, I levelled a KDF alt over the weekend and found it fairly enjoyable. There was very little grind compared to what it used to be like and I even liked the way the missions were laid out in order. Besides a couple of bugs (The House Always Wins is still bugged) I found it much more enjoyable than it was previously, just a pity it was through increased skill point rewards rather than more missions to do.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
So long as what you're doing already includes doing the Dailies. But go on..

I'm asking about an actual breakdown of the differences pre-Season 4/5 and pro-Season4/5.
I leveled a toon on Tribble in half the /played time and an equal number of days using DOFFs--and I had blue gear for my tier by the end of it. No missions past LtCmdr 2

Basically, ~24-36 hours of /played if leveling religiously through DOFFs. It'll be slightly slower now but you'll get more dilithium and rewards in return.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Jexsam, I appreciate your intent, I do, and I even agree with you (on the "need' for VA ships vs RA ships), but that's not the kind of discussion I'm looking for in this thread.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to inject as little opinion into this thread as possible, to avoid the "opinion vs opinion" problems present in so many threads, for which I have no small amount of guilt myself.
Ah, right, my apologies.

I'll get back to you on the primary question once I've had time to continue my most recent toon, but right off-hand, I can't see how it could be much harder than it already was.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd say it's gotten better. I made a new toon today and I only have to grind it up to level Lt 6 before I can jump into PvE queues, and after the tutorial plus save the Azura, I'm already at level Lt 3.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
I'd say it's gotten better. I made a new toon today and I only have to grind it up to level Lt 6 before I can jump into PvE queues, and after the tutorial plus save the Azura, I'm already at level Lt 3.
Is that truly better? Or is it simply faster?

What has gear acquisition been like?
How much Dilithium does that alt have?
Did any of it come from trading your stipend (if you've gotten it) and how much (estimate) from Doff Assignments and grinding?
What ships are you using, and how did you acquire them?
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Is that truly better? Or is it simply faster?

What has gear acquisition been like?
How much Dilithium does that alt have?
Did any of it come from trading your stipend (if you've gotten it) and how much (estimate) from Doff Assignments and grinding?
What ships are you using, and how did you acquire them?
Well, faster=better to someone who really doesn't like the drudgery of levelling a toon in STO pre-Season 5.

This alt has about 35,000 dilithium, because I happened to have 96 C-Points lying around which I was able to sell in a heartbeat for 200 dilithium apiece (less than half the going rate on the dilithium exchange).

So it didn't come from trading my stipend, just the leftovers from the last 2 years of buying the odd C-Store item.

I would say though, that I only resorted to that because after the tutorial I found out, when I went to recruit some BOs from ESD, that they're now sold to the player for dilithium instead of Starfleet Merits (which seem to have been removed from the game without me noticing).

I'm currently using the TOS Connie which I paid C-Points for a while back, but is also being given away for free in December. So I went to the Legacy Unlock section of the C-Store and claimed it from there.

One thing though, I notice that two ships I've paid C-Points for are now asking me for 800 C-Points apiece on this new alt - I don't know if that's because I'm not high enough rank to fly them yet (Nebula and Excelsior - but I've submitted a GM ticket and I guess I'll find out in due course what's going on there.