Lt. Commander
# 21
12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarss
Lets not beat around the bush. The "read a book suggestion was trolling". These are the kind of responses from people whose only game time this week wasn't affected.

Todays outage is likely to put the seasonal Q stuff in which makes sense. If thats the case though why was there an outage yesterday? something so urgent it couldnt have waited 24 hours?
Lot worst when the game was releasead if I remember right. Sure there was times when it was down for maintenance then back up and down again because of problems.

How come the times changed? My timezone the first two was 3pm to 5pm now it is to 6pm. Did Cryptic move out of DST? World timezones argh. Can't we just work off an in-game one which shows on the website?
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
so hang on there are people out there who dont want them to update the game??
right..... okay..... ermmmmmmm plan your game time around it, i did, i started playing anouther game
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra1701 View Post
But surely taking the servers down 3 times since Monday is a bit extreme? Then again tbh this is the first MMO I've ever played.
These things happen when you're testing the beta of a major system roll-out, rebuild, or patch.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
I think they're adding game-critical updates to the c-store. Also, game-breaking fixes that needed resolution in uniform textures and combadge alignment.

Lt. Commander
# 25
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalic89
so hang on there are people out there who dont want them to update the game??
right..... okay.....
No. There are people out there who want them to update the game using some common sense and communication skills. Shutting down and restarting everything safely must factor into each outage. Thus it makes more sense for 1 slightly longer outage instead of 2 on consecutive days. Why couldnt yesterdays outage have been combined with todays? If it couldnt have been combined then communicate with the customers and most will understand. If yesterdays outage couldnt wait then a quick "Hey theres a problem that can't wait until tommorow. Sorry" wouldnt hurt.

Gamers are often obsessive types. Tell them the outage is 3 hours and after 2 hours 55 minutes there will be lots of them mashing the connect button. I'm still waiting for the MMO team thats smart enough to post something 20 minutes before the outage should finish that says either "Yep its all gone well and we will be up on time" or "Hey guys. Its a little behind. Should be up 20 minutes after we planned". In fairness Cryptic has been pretty good about outage durations imo. Could always do better though

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalic89
right..... okay..... ermmmmmmm plan your game time around it, i did, i started playing anouther game
So some of us have things like jobs and responsibilities where gaming time can't come first. This weeks outages have robbed my partner in crime of 80%+ of his STO gaming time. With another big MMO a week away from launch what do you think he's going to do when he has to pick which game to play with his limited time?

Edit: and up ahead of schedule by the looks of things. Bonus points for that
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I mean... I have no problem with patch day once a week, but this is just wayyyyy too often, and kinda indicates bad soft- and hardware management on cryptics part, since they appearenlty cant handle getting it right (enough) on one day.
To add to the frustration, I noticed that the downtime for tomorrow has been pushed even further into the middle of just about everyone's day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I know customers don't mean much to Cryptic, and that this is the forced F2P beta and all, but please... stick to one day, and perhaps a emergency round if REALLY nessacary.
Once upon a time, Cryptic used to do this in the middle of the night (in most peoples' locales). But I guess since the PW acquisition, however, they've wanted to make sure that the Asian gold farmers don't have their gameplay interrupted.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
An MMO is a very very complicated thing to run.

I find Cryptic at fault and lacking on many issues, but this wouldn't be one of them.
Yeah, I praise them for doing it. Even if they're just de-fragging hard drives I have no problem with a few hours of daily downtime. People who do either consistently play during that downtime, or if it's just the fact of losing a few hours a day in-game, they really should seek help for MMO addiction.

Lt. Commander
# 28
12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man
I think they're adding game-critical updates to the c-store. Also, game-breaking fixes that needed resolution in uniform textures and combadge alignment.

We're all so jaded on these forums. lol Good old cryptic, teaching us that santa claus and fairydust doesn't exist one update at a time. xD
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Yeah, I praise them for doing it. Even if they're just de-fragging hard drives I have no problem with a few hours of daily downtime. People who do either consistently play during that downtime, or if it's just the fact of losing a few hours a day in-game, they really should seek help for MMO addiction.

19:30 - 21:30 (in my timezone) maintenance today too. You may call it addiction but someone who works during the day gets hardly any playtime... AGAIN. Belittling them doesn't help the situation either.