Lt. Commander
# 11
12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
selling back

possibly a worthwhile idea if you buy crap, but i would not expect 100% return of EDC, maybe 50%

if you are not sure and want to test items first -> copy char to Red Shirt 2 or 3 times, test it all out and then decide what you want to stick with.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I really think there should be tailor-esque equipment holodeck in SFA/KA that could help with choosing what you want to spend time earning as opposed to allowing you to earn, buy and just trade back you stuff if you suddenly decide to want to upgrade for the latest s**** on offer for the same effective currency.

Compared to other games I have played with test servers, Cryptic have made tribble access very accessible indeed, considering much of the client is copied across instead of totally re downloaded, and it all works through the same launcher. I do feel that access to tribble is as hard as access to holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
selling back

possibly a worthwhile idea if you buy crap, but i would not expect 100% return of EDC, maybe 50%

if you are not sure and want to test items first -> copy char to Red Shirt 2 or 3 times, test it all out and then decide what you want to stick with.
50% would be useless really, i mean to "test" somthing for a 50% loss would never be used. same as if you returned an item to a retailer, and they only gave you 50% back :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
I really think there should be tailor-esque equipment holodeck in SFA/KA that could help with choosing what you want to spend time earning as opposed to allowing you to earn, buy and just trade back you stuff if you suddenly decide to want to upgrade for the latest s**** on offer for the same effective currency.

Compared to other games I have played with test servers, Cryptic have made tribble access very accessible indeed, considering much of the client is copied across instead of totally re downloaded, and it all works through the same launcher. I do feel that access to tribble is as hard as access to holodeck.
yep, theres no question that getting on tribble is easy as pie. the problem is time the population of holodeck would never been seen on tribble. around 10% at the most.

thats why it needs to be part of the actual game. i personally have no real problem with loading up tribble and messing around but once i start work again chances are i wont have the time, nor be botherd with it when i would rather spend time on the main server.

the idea of a holodeck/fireing range (space + ground) would be awesome, a chance for you to test it all out in a set area would work just as well.

load up, pick enemy, pick weapon/equipment and go.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
Most content using emblem gear in wow would take more than 45 mins to do anyway (the lockout was 2 hours I believe and a raid could last 4 hours +). STFs in sto take... 20 mins - so people would constantly recycle their gear unless you did enforce a one time exchange only. The issue with one time exchanges is you end up with people who make mistakes and clog up the already defunct ticketing system further.

If you want to test something.... there is a testing server. Not much more to say on that really.
5 man instances would take about 20-30 mins in WoW and you could buy emblem gear. There is no reason to not have that feature in STO.... allow people to try gear and I doubt people would constantly recycle gear at all, they didnt do that in WoW so why would they do it here?
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSDelphin
5 man instances would take about 20-30 mins in WoW and you could buy emblem gear. There is no reason to not have that feature in STO.... allow people to try gear and I doubt people would constantly recycle gear at all, they didnt do that in WoW so why would they do it here?
well there is no reason for people to do it, but if crpytic see it as a "problem" i just suggested an option.

i know myself would try both once on an STF or somthing, and then go back and pick what i liked more, but thats me :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Plus on a side note, I know we have testing servers.... but if your getting gear to do STF's or PvP then how would you test them if no one is doing STF's or PvP on a test server? The best and fastest way of testing an item is to do it on the live server.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-11-2011, 11:52 AM
the problem with that is that people could buy a set just to get the accolade and the costume, then return it and buy the other set to get the other accolade and costume, without having to work for it. Since I don't think they can take away costume pieces or accolades, the only way to prevent this would be to add a timer that only gives you the accolade if you keep it for 20 minutes. Unfortunately that is unfair to the players who don't need 20 minutes to decide which costume/set they want and are eager to get the costume set or the accolade.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
the problem with that is that people could buy a set just to get the accolade and the costume, then return it and buy the other set to get the other accolade and costume, without having to work for it. Since I don't think they can take away costume pieces or accolades, the only way to prevent this would be to add a timer that only gives you the accolade if you keep it for 20 minutes. Unfortunately that is unfair to the players who don't need 20 minutes to decide which costume/set they want and are eager to get the costume set or the accolade.
to counter that, they could create a "fake" set that has no associated accolades/unlocks.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
50% would be useless really, i mean to "test" somthing for a 50% loss would never be used. same as if you returned an item to a retailer, and they only gave you 50% back :p
well as i said that is if you buy wrong or want to get rid of it.

...for testing use the Red Shirt Test Server.

Yes a preview option in the game before you buy stuff would be nice, but that would be work and we cant count on Cryptic pulling a rabbit out of their hat (not for every tiny request anyway) ...so Test Server it is.