Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 61
12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHell View Post
Geez, what is this EP doing? He is either completely incompetent or is ....Nope i'm going with incompetent..
The EP isn't even a real person... the EP is PWE. The guy on stoked was just a Cryptic Duty Officer... His proc is 5% chance to make you believe the BS cryptic and pwe are telling you. Possibly you can pet him once an hour for +5 dilithium too. But no he is competent he does not really fail any missions but he doesn't give any bonus's he's just a common or white one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 62
12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
The Bug is super rare, but it can be gotten. I lucked out and got it on the second box I opened. I decided to buy a small thing of points and take a crack at it and lucked out. I know some people have spent hundreds of dollars and struck out and I do agree with some of the posters that doing so is on the customer, not Cryptic.

They're going to make decisions based on what's going to make them money, especially now that the game's gone FTP - they are a business and as much as they may love Trek, or the game, they're also not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Like it or not it's capitalism. If people actually objected by *not spending money* on something like the gift box, they would decide it was a bad idea and never do it again.

If, as I suspect is the case, this has made them boatloads of money because even (especially?) the people decrying the gift box are also the ones dropping ludicrous amounts of money because they are gambling away money they can't afford to spend, you can bet that you'll see similar uber-rare random items in the future.

Personally I have only one complaint about the way the whole gift box deal has been handled, and that's the fact that the odds are CLEARLY so badly skewed in favor of 'winning' the Jem'Hadar ship by spending money, versus doing things like the race in hopes of getting it as a prize.

I think I bought 10 gift boxes in all from the C-Store, lucking out on the Bug on my second box. Every single box I purchased from the store was a red box.

I probably ran the race a dozen times with various toons; I think every single box I was awarded was a green box. I have no idea what the odds are of getting the ship from any given red box, but I do know that when you take into account how rare even GETTING a red box is if you don't purchase it from the store, the odds of 'winning' a Jem'Hadar ship versus gambling money until you've effectively *bought* a Jem'Hadar ship are nuts.

You want to make it super rare and only ever have 1,000 of them or less floating around? Terrific, I'm all for them being super rare. But at least make an effort to pretend that people who don't want to spend the money have a legit shot at winning the thing. Or else be honest and just flat out make purchasing gift boxes the ONLY way to acquire the ship, so that at least the people running the race over and over again can quit wasting their time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 63
12-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi folks,

When it comes to the Featured Episode series, I'm not sure what Dan might have said before I joined the team, but other than work on the Bajor social map, which appears in the series but is not just for the series, there was not much of anything existing for the Dominion series when I took over in September. Parts of Episode 1 were under construction, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near ready for release. And none of the developers were actively working on the series at the time either.

I made the decision that rather than start work on the series in early October and try to get it out in December, that with the free-to-play date in January, that it was better to target the series for the larger audience, and instead use the two months that we had to get as many fixes as we could into the game. We managed to fix many hundreds of bugs, which has really helped. We may not have gotten to your pet peeve bug yet, but we're still working on them.

Last week, we kicked off the actual development for the series and got the team members working on a schedule that should get the episodes done by the end of January. It takes about 2 months with full focus by the team to get a series put together.

I've been working hard to make the development team's progress pretty transparent. I don't come in posting constantly, but everything that is being worked on gets talked about in the Dev Blogs or shows up on the test servers within a relatively short time after it goes into real development. I try not to post when something is merely on the schedule, since that is very much subject to change.

In any case, I'm sorry that anyone had the impression that the series was further along that it is. I certainly didn't try to give that impression at any time since I took over the EP job.


When it comes to the Red Holiday Gift / Winter Package, we are fully aware that some people are not happy with how this first attempt at a random delivery with an ultra-rare prize came out. We are putting a lot of effort into analyzing what is and is not working well, and how you all feel about it. It's clear that we did not get everything right with this attempt, and we're going to do our best to learn from it.

That said, we are committed to doing future random delivery items that include ultra-rare prizes. It's not an "if" but a "how".

The goal with the current one was to make the Blue Present prize (which includes Holiday Collectibles and a Blue or Purple piece of gear) a very desirable prize for people who want to spend their 400 point stipend or otherwise spend a few dollars getting some fun stuff... and maybe get something cooler. Then we made some middle-tier prizes that are fun things to have, mostly for those people who buy a few for the holiday event to get something fun, like a Horta pet. And finally, we have the rare prizes, which were meant to be something cool and amazing for people to stumble upon. But it was inevitable that some small number of people would try single-mindedly for the rare prize.

So far, the numbers show that this is pretty much how it is playing out. Around 40% of players who logged into STO at all in the past 5 days bought at least one Winter Package. Of the people who bought at least one, around 8% of those bought more than a casual number, and less than 1% really made a go for the starship.

The starships definitely are spread out across all levels of buyers, and the overwhelming feedback we're getting is that people really like the Winter Package and how it was put together. It's also clear that there are sub-groups who don't like it for various reasons. We're going to learn both from what people liked and didn't like before we try this again.

In any case, you should not expect anything to be changed with the odds on the starship prize in this current offering. To do so would be unfair to the people who invested in getting the starship.


Overall, I'm sorry that I'm not posting as much as you would like, or even as much as I would like. The hours are long already (I am nearly 15 hours into my work day today), so finding time to post is hard. Please do work through our new community manager when you feel something needs attention. He's making sure your concerns, issues, and reports make it to the team. I'm definitely lurking on the forums, and 'll try to post when I can.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 64
12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you for that, Mr. D'Angelo. Much Appreciated.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 65
12-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
So far, the numbers show that this is pretty much how it is playing out. Around 40% of players who logged into STO at all in the past 5 days bought at least one Winter Package. Of the people who bought at least one, around 8% of those bought more than a casual number, and less than 1% really made a go for the starship.
Thank you for the post. That said could you give us more context on the statements above by giving a # range that make sup these categories? What constitutes a "casual number", "more than a casual number" and "really made a go"?

Quote:
That said, we are committed to doing future random delivery items that include ultra-rare prizes. It's not an "if" but a "how".
That is definitely going to make some people mad to hear, but it was pretty obvious. I dare say this grab bag is the best selling C-store item ever, and there is simply no way Cryptic/PW would ignore that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 66
12-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
Hi folks,


When it comes to the Red Holiday Gift / Winter Package, we are fully aware that some people are not happy with how this first attempt at a random delivery with an ultra-rare prize came out. We are putting a lot of effort into analyzing what is and is not working well, and how you all feel about it. It's clear that we did not get everything right with this attempt, and we're going to do our best to learn from it.

That said, we are committed to doing future random delivery items that include ultra-rare prizes. It's not an "if" but a "how".

The goal with the current one was to make the Blue Present prize (which includes Holiday Collectibles and a Blue or Purple piece of gear) a very desirable prize for people who want to spend their 400 point stipend or otherwise spend a few dollars getting some fun stuff... and maybe get something cooler. Then we made some middle-tier prizes that are fun things to have, mostly for those people who buy a few for the holiday event to get something fun, like a Horta pet. And finally, we have the rare prizes, which were meant to be something cool and amazing for people to stumble upon. But it was inevitable that some small number of people would try single-mindedly for the rare prize.

So far, the numbers show that this is pretty much how it is playing out. Around 40% of players who logged into STO at all in the past 5 days bought at least one Winter Package. Of the people who bought at least one, around 8% of those bought more than a casual number, and less than 1% really made a go for the starship.

The starships definitely are spread out across all levels of buyers, and the overwhelming feedback we're getting is that people really like the Winter Package and how it was put together. It's also clear that there are sub-groups who don't like it for various reasons. We're going to learn both from what people liked and didn't like before we try this again.

In any case, you should not expect anything to be changed with the odds on the starship prize in this current offering. To do so would be unfair to the people who invested in getting the starship.


Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
First off I would like to say I agree that the odds on the starship prize should not be changed. However as I posted in another thread it should at least be nerfed. I am sorry if this sounds unfair to those who spent boat loads to obtain it but if you will allow me to be blunt its not fair to those of us who play and pay (we are all still gold members) to have people given an unbalanced and superior ship at random.

As for the statistics you gave please do not confuse 40% buying a package with 40% being happy. Nor 8% spending as you say a more than casual amount and being happy. Personally I would love to know the source of overwhelming feedback of people who like the package if you care to share because that's not what I hear in the chat of every zone in the game when I log on to play. So basically I am curious as to what this stat is based off of.

As for the blue package being a desirable prize. Many of us are Vice Admiral's and have been for a long time. A mk X or XI blue is not a desirable prize. Neither is a green as often comes in a green package. Its well to be frank junk I stopped having a use for over a year ago I think it was and other players are in the same boat. Perhaps down the road some consideration of those factors is in order. In addition unless you get a blue package from the Cstore red box you rarely see a blue package the race gives out an insane amount of green boxes. Something else to consider down the road.

You say that your committed to giving ultra rare prizes in this manner again. Ok then like I said limit it to skins and other cosmetic items. If you must toss in a ship or something it should have identical stats to one already available.

Allow me to provide something of an example here collectable card games. When you open a pack you get various random cards these are the items of power in the game some are common some are very very rare. But that's ok because when you boil it down those ultra rare cards are nothing more than skins they don't break balance and if they do they get ejected from competitive play on their heads so to speak.

What has been done with this ship however would be the same as giving a handful of players an ultra rare card immune to everything other players can throw at it. Yes I am aware that in the hands of some of that small number of pilots the bug ship is kind of sad. I can't help it I laughed at someone using it in pvp today/yesterday (time zones got to hate them) but Ive also seen what happens when a skilled pilot gets their hands on one and many ships died in the making of this observation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 67
12-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I knew the grab bags were here to stay, but I do hope that next time they aren't as overpowered as the Jem'hadar ship currently is. We'll see though.

As far as the feature episodes, it's been obvious for awhile that all the "marketing" in the past about how "soon" the feature episode were coming were...well... is "lies" too strong a word?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 68
12-13-2011, 11:28 PM
EP makes a post at 11pm. Thats either crazy or dedication. Either way I like it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 69
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
(I am nearly 15 hours into my work day today)
My God, man.

Do me a huge favor. Take that time-and-a-half and treat yourself. I don't care what people think of you, Cryptic, or PWE. Anyone who works those kinds of hours deserves a little indulgence.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 70
12-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thank you for the post. That said could you give us more context on the statements above by giving a # range that make sup these categories? What constitutes a "casual number", "more than a casual number" and "really made a go"?
It was indeed refreshing for him to say something. I personally think (and this is my opinion) that no more than 1000-1500 would be a good casual number.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
That is definitely going to make some people mad to hear, but it was pretty obvious. I dare say this grab bag is the best selling C-store item ever, and there is simply no way Cryptic/PW would ignore that.
Meh, as long as people realize that they shouldn't bother spending more than they can afford to get an item they have almost no chance of receiving, it'll be ok. If we continue seeing drunken sailor spending habits, I would say it be wise of Cryptic to not continue with this as it shows disturbingly unhealthy behavior on the part of teh consumer. Feeding that habit would not be wise, even if it is both legal and profitable (which this grab bag is on both counts).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 PM.