Lt. Commander
# 1 The New STF Personal Gear
12-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Really like the idea. Started saving data chips, though I'm wondering how to get the stuff beyond the veteran level. The vet stuff is 40 data chips per piece currently, but how do you get the material for the others? Is there a conversion/exchange somewhere I'm missing for the higher tier?

Secondly, and more than somewhat off topic, but been gone quite a few months and wondering why there hasn't been an engineering report since August? <.<
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2011, 04:07 AM
No exchange/conversion as such, I'm afraid. You can only get your hands on the XII gear by doing Elite STFs; the tokens that grant you the items are random drops from the boss fights, where you normally pick up your Encrypted Data Chips.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Oh hey. Welcome back.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery_Wilhelm View Post
Secondly, and more than somewhat off topic, but been gone quite a few months and wondering why there hasn't been an engineering report since August?
Engineering reports have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

You can't convert STF currency to another STF currency and I doubt you'll ever be able to.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Galloway
No exchange/conversion as such, I'm afraid. You can only get your hands on the XII gear by doing Elite STFs; the tokens that grant you the items are random drops from the boss fights, where you normally pick up your Encrypted Data Chips.
Hmm, interesting. I can foresee that being very difficult later on. Like say when you've collected 2 out of three 3 set pieces and keep then getting the same item to get those same two lol. Do they at least mesh with the ones of lower tier? Say for instance, would two of the pieces from the recruit level set still grant bonuses if the third piece was newly replaced with one from the veteran set above, and so forth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
Oh hey. Welcome back.
Thanks!

Noticed your sig. Were you as mad as I was that the new Exeter (the Connie re-refit) was still a T2 ship? I almost just turned right back around and left again lol. Would likely have if not for all the other new "toys" to play with. At least I really liked the look of it I guess. *Shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Engineering reports have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Most unfortunate. Did they say why?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Hmm, interesting. I can foresee that being very difficult later on. Like say when you've collected 2 out of three 3 set pieces and keep then getting the same item to get those same two lol.
Certain instances only drop certain gear. http://www.stowiki.org/Borg_invasion

Quote:
Do they at least mesh with the ones of lower tier? Say for instance, would two of the pieces from the recruit level set still grant bonuses if the third piece was newly replaced with one from the veteran set above, and so forth?
No. No set in the game works like that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Certain instances only drop certain gear. http://www.stowiki.org/Borg_invasion

No. No set in the game works like that.
Ah, splendid. They thought that through then. Color me impressed.

And true, but as to the best of my knowledge these are the first sets ingame to have different tiers as well. So I wondered. Most gracious clarification.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
And true, but as to the best of my knowledge these are the first sets ingame to have different tiers as well. So I wondered. Most gracious clarification.[/color]
Well Breen set has always worked like that
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah but the Breen Set is so easy to get that it doesn't matter if it works together or not, it was a REPLAY reward anyway, so replaying those missions is not to much to ask for it.

By the time you get ONE item from the Elite STF's you already have hundred of runs down, you will have your Mk XI gear and you will not be able to use it without loosing the Set Bonus.

and as Mr Spock Avatar said, you WILL of course get one item 10 times before you get the final third that you actually want.

If at least the Set Items were one type of drop so you could choose yourself this would not be a problem, but since every item has it's own drop...

-> pure insanity

and you can't even trade the items to your other chars or fleetmates or exchange...
the only thing you can get for obsolete drops is 2000 dilithium... which is pathetic for that droprate it should be 20000 ;P

also 40 EDC for one Mk XI item is OK, but i will not spend a single EDC until i have 120, because the moment i buy one item with it, i will get a instant drop of the exact same item, if i get a item drop after 100 runs i can still just buy the other 2 and have the set complete with a bit less effort.

this whole STF loot setup is pure TORTURE
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Ah, splendid. They thought that through then. Color me impressed.
It can still get difficult. There's a lockout to stop you from doing the same STF back to back, so once you have two your attempt rate takes a nosedive, and you don't always get the item (and when you do you might not win the roll), there's no elite EDC equivalent that will at least put you on the slow track to eventually get it.