Lt. Commander
# 11
12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
It's very clear how the players would benefit from this, but... more importantly, how will Cryptic benefit from this exactly?
It gets people to sub.

Currently, there's value in a lifetime although not for everyone and value in a month to month.

I think hitting, say, one thousand days should trigger a lifetime level sub, minus the stipend.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.parsons View Post
Shouldn't harm the economy then anymore then lifers are now!
Really? You think that inflating the pool of Cryptic Points out there without people buying more points isn't going to affect the economy?

The only thing that's keeping players from becoming Lifetimers is the one-lump-sum they're required to pay. If everyone would eventually become one, why would anyone refuse to upgrade their account to a payment option that allows that to happen? Especially when Cryptic is already giving back $5 anyway. It'd be worth it and many people would clue in to that.

And like I said, in a year... *poof!* a loss of $$$ while Cryptic still has to pay the stipend anyway. Not to mention that the Gold subscription allows players to save quite a few Cryptic Points if the player isn't focusing on one character and instead has several alts.

Sure... it's a wonderful plan for the players, not so great for Cryptic though. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99 View Post
It gets people to sub.
I think at this point Cryptic cares more about the C-Store and subscribers are either going Lifetime or are kept with monthly payments which in the long run go above and beyond what a Lifetime would've if the player sticks with STO for more than 20 months.

All in all, why should Cryptic try to increase subscribers anyway when their latest grab-bag marketing trick provided more income than the Lifetime sales would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99 View Post
I think hitting, say, one thousand days should trigger a lifetime level sub, minus the stipend.
That perhaps is a different story, without the stipend I mean. However, I still don't see what Cryptic stands to gain from this, and so I doubt they'd agree to provide players with such a plan.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Really? You think that inflating the pool of Cryptic Points out there without people buying more points isn't going to affect the economy?
Actually, Cryptic introducing grab bags is what is going to control inflation. What if there is a 500% in the number of people getting free CP? If more than half of them use that to buy grab bags for a chance of getting some special treat, then inflation won't be an issue. Also, by giving these people an LTS, they are more likely to keep playing and earning dilithium, off-setting the free CP.

Quote:
That perhaps is a different story, without the stipend I mean. However, I still don't see what Cryptic stands to gain from this, and so I doubt they'd agree to provide players with such a plan.
If their data shows the average subber plays for only 6-9 months, then getting them to committ to a rent-to-own LTS actually gets more out of the average player. And I think Cryptic should only offer this a couple times a year like they do the $200 LTS (though obviously not at the same time).
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-14-2011, 09:50 AM
[font="Verdana"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob View Post
Actually, Cryptic introducing grab bags is what is going to control inflation.
But why would Cryptic need to in the first place? I mean, it's not Cryptic that needs this change to the subscription plans, is it now?

All they need to do is continuously offer more grab-bags and since many people will simply grind one character anyway, Lifetime status would seem wasted on them except for not having to pay their subscription fees.

If somehow those players would be convinced that they need to buy more Cryptic Points, this could work, but if Cryptic could convince players to buy more Cryptic Points anyway, why would Cryptic offer to liberate the players from their subscription fees?

Quote:
If their data shows the average subber plays for only 6-9 months, then getting them to committ to a rent-to-own LTS actually gets more out of the average player. And I think Cryptic should only offer this a couple times a year like they do the $200 LTS (though obviously not at the same time).
Well, that's an entirely different deal then... Now we're talking...
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
[font="Verdana"]But why would Cryptic need to in the first place? I mean, it's not Cryptic that needs this change to the subscription plans, is it now?

All they need to do is continuously offer more grab-bags and since many people will simply grind one character anyway, Lifetime status would seem wasted on them except for not having to pay their subscription fees.

If somehow those players would be convinced that they need to buy more Cryptic Points, this could work, but if Cryptic could convince players to buy more Cryptic Points anyway, why would Cryptic offer to liberate the players from their subscription fees?

Well, that's an entirely different deal then... Now we're talking...
They don't need many of them to bite. But just as the LTS is a fresh infusion of cash, this would offer that as well. I imagine the bulk of players would balk at this either because they can add (360>300 or 30>15) or because it would be cheaper to go Silver and pay for CPs. Most players cannot see a year down the road. But some players would buy this in a heart beat.

I'll add that as a person with an LTS, I'm more likely to buy CPs than if I was paying a monthly sub.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Most players cannot see a year down the road. But some players would buy this in a heart beat.

I'll add that as a person with an LTS, I'm more likely to buy CPs than if I was paying a monthly sub.
These statements are very true. Perhaps we'll see something like this down the line, but I doubt it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I like Commodore Bob's idea. Cryptic benefits because then people will pay over a year's time instead of just settling for a Silver membership. I'm no bean counter but I know something > nothing.