Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
I think the title speaks for itself. Why weren't Caitian females given hair and still don't have hair when the only example of one before STO did?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
they have mentioned hair tech for some time that never seemed to materialise. the original hair they had just did not look good enough so they needed to make new tech for it and then we heard nothing more. that was about a year ago.

its possible CBS said to leave it as it is. the whole 'is the cartoon canon' is fuzzy and they may want the females to look like the male seen briefly in star trek IV rather than the cartoon female.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I've been pondering this also. In fact, I think that's my main reason for not having bought that species from the C-store. That's the only species I don't have unlocked (besides Liberated Borg) because they look wrong without hair.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
There should be an option for a mane or no mane, regardless of gender. Also, since it is possible to scan a person into a computer and create a wire frame of that person, why can't a lion with a well developed mane be scanned, and use that as the template?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilladog View Post
I think the title speaks for itself. Why weren't Caitian females given hair and still don't have hair when the only example of one before STO did?
Because M'Ress was in the animated series, to which there are licensing issues.
Caitians that appeared in live-action Star Trek appeared as they currently do in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Because "New Hair Tech", which was needed to make hairstyles for Caitans has not progressed beyond the 'fur' on the KDF Veteran shoulderpads.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-15-2011, 09:48 PM
That's easy to answer. M'Ress wore a wig because she wanted to look like a 60's Go-Go dancer.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Because M'Ress was in the animated series, to which there are licensing issues.
Caitians that appeared in live-action Star Trek appeared as they currently do in the game.
There are no licensing issues with TAS that I'm aware of, aside from the Kzinti. The only controversy is Roddenberry (or more specifically one of his underlings) declared it not canon after the fact.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Fun Fact about the "New Hair Tech": It isn't completely ephemeral. Ever take a look at the targ fur on the KDF Vet Shoulders? It was claimed, some time ago, that it is the result of the New Hair Tech. Sadly, as evidenced from virtually every furry creature added to the game since, that the Tech hasn't been further utilized, which might not bode well for Caitian hair.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
There are no licensing issues with TAS that I'm aware of, aside from the Kzinti. The only controversy is Roddenberry (or more specifically one of his underlings) declared it not canon after the fact.
Canon or not canon has no impact on the license for something.
In addition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
We were able to use the Caitians as they appeared outside of the animated series
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...1&postcount=37

Cryptic does not have the license for TAS period, whether it is canon or not is totally irrelevant in this matter.