Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 81
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
First off, I don't want to downplay the importance of bug reports. They are still the primary means by which feedback on specific mechanics is received, so they can be fixed and/or retooled.

The trouble is that many bug reports contain information that simply does not assist QA in tracking down and repeating a specific bug or exploit. As an example, the vast majority of prior reports on the Shield Stacking exploit contained nothing more than accusing other players of "equipping multiple shields" or "rapidly swapping shields during combat" -- both of which are not possible at this time, and could not be reproduced internally. The true culprit was a much more difficult target to snipe, and having steps to reproduce the error instead of accusations and assumptions would have helped the problem get solved faster.

Now, since forum policy forbids you all from discussing issues like this in public, the best thing you can do is file the Bug report. If QA is able to reliably reproduce the exploit, they will forward us the steps used to do so, and we can quickly squash whatever issue is at hand. If the issue is massive enough that you feel immediate attention is absolutely warranted, or you are worried that the bug report was incomplete, you can always start a thread to try and get our attention directly, but that can be an iffy prospect.

As for the numbers thing... well, that's just a language quirk of mine showing thru. I don't always mean "numbers and calculations" when I say it as such. I mean MATH. Which is sometimes just TACTICS wrapped up in theory.

For example: The energy drain issue you mention. If you can send in a Bug Report containing an exact scenario to reproduce, it helps us track down what could need to be done to tune it. In this case, how many players are involved, and what noteworthy equipment and abilities are they using? Is it limited to only certain ships, due to boff availability? Is it only certain console powers? The more specific the info, the better. (But put this into a BUG REPORT, not as a response to this thread.)
I see the problem.

Most players - even in the PvP area - are not QA or developer guys. So most don't know how to formulate a bug report.

Being unable to discuss exploits unfortunately also means being unable to advice how to formulate a decent bug report.

So either there would need a way for QA to open up a two-way communication with a bug ticket reporter, or we need a safe haven to exchange information so that someone with some knowledge on how to write a decent bug report can guide him to a intelligible and useful report.
Lt. Commander
# 82
12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I see the problem.

Most players - even in the PvP area - are not QA or developer guys. So most don't know how to formulate a bug report.

Being unable to discuss exploits unfortunately also means being unable to advice how to formulate a decent bug report.

So either there would need a way for QA to open up a two-way communication with a bug ticket reporter, or we need a safe haven to exchange information so that someone with some knowledge on how to write a decent bug report can guide him to a intelligible and useful report.
So a "Bug Report for Dummies Forum"
Lt. Commander
# 83
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I see the problem.

You can always send a PM to farktoid5000 or me.

When he says formulate a bug report what he means is to 1) provide a clear description OF THE SYMPTOMS of the bug, and 2) provide exact steps taken to make the bug happen. If you do not know how to reproduce the bug, say so and don't guess.

An in-game example of this --
--You see someone whose shields are showing double repair rates, and who seems to be regenerating shield health very quickly.
Your bug ticket would say "I was in PvP with herp@derp and I saw his shields showing double repair rates (i.e. 8 upticks instead of 4) and he was regenerating health at an impossible rate."

It would not say "herp@derp has two sets of shields equipped and is totally cheating"

The difference between the two is that the first instance accurately explains what you saw, the second is your supposition of what is happening. When QA is told that someone has two shields equipped, they try to see if there's any possible way to equip two shields. This actually was not the way the bug worked, and trying to reproduce having two shields equipped took a whole lot of time for fruitless results.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 84
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
So a "Bug Report for Dummies Forum"
I'll just leave this here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=233032

Lt. Commander
# 85
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
And now you are becoming an IT trainer in addition to a developer.

Yr skillz, growing thay r.
Lt. Commander
# 86
12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
My understanding to this point has been that filing that bug report captured data in the game at that time. So giving the name and problem would then help narrow down where to look to see if there was some kind of irregularity. I'm not going to lie. I'm not in QA and when someone told me this I bought it.
Lt. Commander
# 87
12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Your bug ticket would say "I was in PvP with herp@derp and I saw his shields showing double repair rates (i.e. 8 upticks instead of 4) and he was regenerating health at an impossible rate."
That might be a little hard there Zero.

Unless I about to learn a new trick, the only way we can fine out there '@derp' is if they say something in chat. Lately with the use of Voice Box, Vent, TS etc when they pvp. You might just not find out their handle at all.

Also with the exit map time been shorten, you don't even get the chance to type 'gg' and hope they say it too.
Lt. Commander
# 88
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Quote:
You can always send a PM to farktoid5000 or me.

When he says formulate a bug report what he means is to 1) provide a clear description OF THE SYMPTOMS of the bug, and 2) provide exact steps taken to make the bug happen. If you do not know how to reproduce the bug, say so and don't guess.

An in-game example of this --
--You see someone whose shields are showing double repair rates, and who seems to be regenerating shield health very quickly.

It would not say "herp@derp has two sets of shields equipped and is totally cheating"

The difference between the two is that the first instance accurately explains what you saw, the second is your supposition of what is happening. When QA is told that someone has two shields equipped, they try to see if there's any possible way to equip two shields. This actually was not the way the bug worked, and trying to reproduce having two shields equipped took a whole lot of time for fruitless results.

That is a good tip, but it is often actually difficult to figure out who is doing what during the match. And bug reports only take their screenshots when you finish writing them. YOu can't really do that in a PvP match, especially with the super-quick ending of PvP matches these days. (No time to read the PvP report even!)

Though if one actually had combat log enabled, maybe one could see more?
Lt. Commander
# 89
12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Has anyone logged a how-to bug report for these things? Hale, I thought I saw some ticket numbers from you in the past alluding to having logged a how-to bug. If no one is going to do that much, I can't see how the problem can get fixed. If someone has logged a bug, publish the ticket numbers and lets get a status from Cryptic - we do seem to have their attention right now.

If we don't get any status then someone needs to make public via some other forum the how-to so that it can become a game feature for all to enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 90
12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Valley
That might be a little hard there Zero.

Unless I about to learn a new trick, the only way we can fine out there '@derp' is if they say something in chat. Lately with the use of Voice Box, Vent, TS etc when they pvp. You might just not find out their handle at all.
New Trick Time with Destinii!

When you have someone targeted, you can right click on their portrait. It'll say "Herp@derp" at the top of the menu that pops up where you can find out more info, send a message to them, trade, etc.