Lt. Commander
Some first impressions I thought might be useful to the devs about my experience with the Doff system after playing it for a few days.

I love it! It is so fun to micro manage the Doffs and it makes the game feel more like Star Trek. My department head Bridge Officers are working now.

The colonial missions with the red warning text saying the assigned Doffs will be removed is a little unclear to new players. I thought it would take whoever I assigned because I didn't know what a colonist was (in terms of the Doff system). I'm still not sure how I have got the colonists I've sent on these assignments.

When purchasing a Doff, the "Trade" category name a little confusing to someone new to the Doff system. At first, I thought I could trade one Doff for another here. "Commerce" might be a more-clear word.

On the Assignment tab when filling Doffs for an assignment, the Traits of the Doffs that have not been assigned to the mission should match the colors of the success-boosting (or detracting) Traits of the Doff slot being filled. This would make it easier to pick the best Doff out from the sometimes imperfect/confusing truncations of the Trait names.

On the Assignment tab when filling Doffs for an assignment, I'm still not sure what the percentage in the upper right of a Doff means. I've read on the boards that it is for better rewards, but a mouse-over callout saying exactly what it is would be helpful.

I am still not clear why sometimes I can have 21-23 Assignments active when the cap is 20.

On the Duty Officer tab of the Duty Officer window, I wish the portraits would always remain and some other way to show the Active Space/Ground assignment and mission timer were introduced. I like the portrait because it helps me remember who the Doff is.

I don't understand the point of the Request Duty Officer tab (other than for buying more Doffs with C-points). Perhaps the ability to hail that Cation (sp?) at the academy would be a useful addition here. Speaking of that, is there a way to hail him? I know he calls you when you level up a Commendation, but I'd like to be able to call him.

On the Overview tab, in the Commendation Advancement area, mouseing-over a commendation icon should provide some thematic info as well as ways to level up the skill. Also, it is not very clear that the icons are dropdown menus.

Bug: After removing a Doff from a mission slot, the boosted Trait colors remain.

Bug: The Department Heads' portraits take a while to load in every time.

Thanks for reading! I hope it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanheir View Post
On the Assignment tab when filling Doffs for an assignment, the Traits of the Doffs that have not been assigned to the mission should match the colors of the success-boosting (or detracting) Traits of the Doff slot being filled. This would make it easier to pick the best Doff out from the sometimes imperfect/confusing truncations of the Trait names.

I am still not clear why sometimes I can have 21-23 Assignments active when the cap is 20.

I don't understand the point of the Request Duty Officer tab (other than for buying more Doffs with C-points). Perhaps the ability to hail that Cation (sp?) at the academy would be a useful addition here. Speaking of that, is there a way to hail him? I know he calls you when you level up a Commendation, but I'd like to be able to call him.
i can answer these. first one: when you assign an officer on the assignment slot that is filled you should see some of the traits turn green if your officer has it, if its red you have a trait that increases failure/disaster. Also, the rarity of the doff can increase success/critical rates without having necessary traits, so an uncommon or above officer with the good traits is the best to send on a task when you can.

2. sometimes your Doff's get injured on missions. those extra assignments are likely "Sickbay" assignments, those dont count towards your 20 limit.

3. the request duty officer panel will also show any new DOFF's you received in the missions or packs you just opened. letting you tell exactly what you just got.

edit: as for the Department head bug. the Department head system is still a work in progress, so it will likely be fixed when they put out the Department head/first officer system.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Speaking of the department heads, do they actually do anything? Say if I used a tac Boff in the operations department, does that make a difference?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedRabbit
Speaking of the department heads, do they actually do anything? Say if I used a tac Boff in the operations department, does that make a difference?
currently, department heads are just for show/recommendations. but heretics on a system that puts them to use.... i forget how exactly, but involves DO's basically "training" that BO in their special abilities thus givign a passive bonus to that department if i recall.

and I'm pretty sure you can only slot an engineering based BO in operations.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Few things.

Pay attention and read stuff. When it says colonists will be removed, that's the same as saying you'll get this when the mission ends.. If you don't know what they are or how to get them, pay more attention.

Department heads don't make a difference, they give you a base easy way to do missions. If you want to min/max, ignore them and go through your roster.

Trade VS Commerce makes no sense to me.

Why would you need a picture to help you? You can (and will) get duplicate doffs and it's the traits you should look at....

Request is like you thought, a future add on, why worry about it now?

Last point, you are only allowed 20 missions, thankfully if a Doff is injured and sent to sickbay (something you get points for when done), it doesn't count. Look at the interface and see what's up.

Not a hard system to get.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I've noticed that an assignment that doesn't require an actual assigned DOff, like Junior Officer Cadre, or Fed Recruitment for example, will allow for additional active assignments but doesn't count against the 20 active DOff who are on assignments.