Lt. Commander
# 1 Balancing for Season 5
12-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a few concerns about the way things are currently balanced.

Firstly, I think either I'm going up levels too quickly, or getting Dilithium too slowly. At the moment, it seems like if you play through all the storyline missions, you end up getting promotions too quickly.

I think part of this may be a bug. I had an officer at Captain, and got to VA by playing through the Klingon missions that I'd missed, and got more than a level on each mission (as in, the mission reward was a full level worth). I also noticed that the reward for the Romulan and Cardassian missions that I'd been missing weren't nearly as out of line.

Faulty Cryptic math aside, though, it still feels like I'm going up levels constantly with all my characters, and can't get dilithium fast enough. It doesn't work out too badly for me, because I get my free ship token at every level (which I quite appreciate, by the way), but I worry that the free players are just going to get frustrated. I guess the hope is that they'll buy some C-Points to trade for dilithium, but I think it would be a better idea to just slow down the levelling a little bit.

Second, and probably less important, is diplomacy exp. There are plenty of DOff missions available now, which require less than 30 seconds of my time, and grant 50+ diplomacy exp, and then there are diplomatic missions, which offer 10-15 exp, for about 30 minutes of play. This just doesn't make sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnakar
I have a few concerns about the way things are currently balanced.

Firstly, I think either I'm going up levels too quickly, or getting Dilithium too slowly. At the moment, it seems like if you play through all the storyline missions, you end up getting promotions too quickly.

I think part of this may be a bug. I had an officer at Captain, and got to VA by playing through the Klingon missions that I'd missed, and got more than a level on each mission (as in, the mission reward was a full level worth). I also noticed that the reward for the Romulan and Cardassian missions that I'd been missing weren't nearly as out of line.

Faulty Cryptic math aside, though, it still feels like I'm going up levels constantly with all my characters, and can't get dilithium fast enough. It doesn't work out too badly for me, because I get my free ship token at every level (which I quite appreciate, by the way), but I worry that the free players are just going to get frustrated. I guess the hope is that they'll buy some C-Points to trade for dilithium, but I think it would be a better idea to just slow down the levelling a little bit.
STO doesn't have enough "quality" content to have a slow advancement through the ranks. It used to be that you had a truckload of patrol and defense missions in each sector, but they've decided to make those into side missions that aren't really required to level up. Now you level up doing only the "episodic" missions, but there aren't a whole lot of those. I think Feds have about 50, and KDF have about 30. 15 of those episodic missions are past featured episodes, which originally were open to players at any rank. Now they're jammed into the linear progression of the episodic missions.

Leveling up to max is fast. A player with the time to play could probably get it done in about 20-30 hours played, maybe less using exp bonuses. New players would obviously take longer, but it'll still probably end up at less than 60 hours, which is what it used to take with all the old hoops we had to jump through.

Quote:
Second, and probably less important, is diplomacy exp. There are plenty of DOff missions available now, which require less than 30 seconds of my time, and grant 50+ diplomacy exp, and then there are diplomatic missions, which offer 10-15 exp, for about 30 minutes of play. This just doesn't make sense to me.
The diplomacy missions will get updated eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
STO doesn't have enough "quality" content to have a slow advancement through the ranks. It used to be that you had a truckload of patrol and defense missions in each sector, but they've decided to make those into side missions that aren't really required to level up. Now you level up doing only the "episodic" missions, but there aren't a whole lot of those. I think Feds have about 50, and KDF have about 30. 15 of those episodic missions are past featured episodes, which originally were open to players at any rank. Now they're jammed into the linear progression of the episodic missions.

Leveling up to max is fast. A player with the time to play could probably get it done in about 20-30 hours played, maybe less using exp bonuses. New players would obviously take longer, but it'll still probably end up at less than 60 hours, which is what it used to take with all the old hoops we had to jump through.
I understand that there's a bit of a shortage of content, but as it is now, if you want to play though all the "episode" missions, you'll either hit max level long before you run out of missions, or you'll end up never end up getting any dilithium. That's my concern. If players had a little bit of time to kill in between levels (so to speak), they might be pulled naturally toward something that would give them some dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Quote:
I understand that there's a bit of a shortage of content, but as it is now, if you want to play though all the "episode" missions, you'll either hit max level long before you run out of missions, or you'll end up never end up getting any dilithium. That's my concern. If players had a little bit of time to kill in between levels (so to speak), they might be pulled naturally toward something that would give them some dilithium.
If it's dilithium you need, there are tons of daily missions and events that you can do.

Starfleet Academy has a daily mission about the history of Trek for 480 dilithium.
There's a daily to do three UGC missions for 1440 dilithium.
There's a daily to do 3 exploration missions for 1440 dilithium.

You unlock 3 more dailies in Eta Eridani that will each give you 480 dilithium, and one more that unlocks when you've collected 10 computer core fragments that pays out 1440 dilithium.

Sadly, they didn't add any dailies to the Romulan featured episodes, but there are the Deferi dailies that open at level 48ish, unless you have them unlocked from before season 5 hit. Those pay out 1440 for Aid the Deferi and 480 each for the rescue and ground mission.

But the fastest way to make dilithium? Running Special Task Force missions. You'll make 480 dilithium about every 20 minutes for space missions. That means 1440 per hour, more if you're quick and run a ground mission while the space ones cooldown. And you can trade rare borg salvage for dilithium (1028?) per salvage.

And then there are the various hourly events. I know you can make a decent amount from doing the academy events, as I made something like 1000 dilithium there in an hour, so it's pretty good for lower rank players.

And if you're really hard up, you can always go the C-store route.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
If you get rid of a Duty Officer you get Recruitment XP and about 50 Dilitium each.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
If you get rid of a Duty Officer you get Recruitment XP and about 50 Dilitium each.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that! If you have a lot of energy credits doing nothing.

Buy DOffs in the exchange, then get rid of them for dilithium and cxp. So there is a way to turn Energy Credits into Dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
If it's dilithium you need, there are tons of daily missions and events that you can do.
It's not that there's a lack of ways to get dilithium...there are enough dailies to get that 8k cap every day, assuming you want to spend the time to do it. I think what the OP is getting at is that the natural rate of dilithium acquisition is too slow during leveling, compared to the rate at which you level. You end up hitting the next rank long before you have enough dilithium to purchase that rank's ship. It's not a big deal for gold players since they get a free ship every rank except VA, but for free players they have to do dailies religiously, which simply levels them further.

And yes I realize that free players will get a token that's worth a discount on a new ship. The worry is that even with the discount you're looking at days of dailies for the higher tier ships, and one can easily gain a full rank in much less time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Let's face it now or before you had to grind something and could level pretty quickly. The big change now that makes everyone think that there is nothing to do but story missions, is the fact that story missions auto level with you now. This means it doesn't matter if you play the Romulan missions at Commander, Captain or Admiral you now get that rank's score for the misson.
I remember before I'd play through the Klingon missions, do a couple of explore missions, maybee some PVP, hit the right rank to open up the next batch of missions. Do those, oh and now a friend needs help with some early missions, so you'd go back and help them. Now you're Lt. Cdr 4 but the missions you put on hold we LT 7 missions so you only got 1/2 the XP because you'd out levelled those missions. You did those missions anyway to get them out of the way. Now those old missions are giving you the right XP for your rank. Now throw in your daily missions and DOFF's and before you know it you're doing Romulan missions and you're only a Captain, instead of Cardashian missions as a captain. Then you hit Admiral and you're going WTF? I have all these missions but I'm almost maxed?!?!
I got thinking about this and in many ways it's a blessing in disguise, especially for newer players who are on their first couple of toons. All those oustanding missions are rewarding to do because they fight at your rank, even if you're a VA, and therefore are a challenge. Even though you're a VA you can now go back an play a mission you might have skipped before because you'd outranked it and it was now too easy or didn't give enough xp.