Lt. Commander
Title says it all.

http://www.startrekonline.com/dyncon...ed_galaxyx.png

The third nacelle has an orange ring I've not seen before on any G-X incarnation nor on the other nacelles.

Ideas anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Probally just a model/rendering glitch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
actuyll there IS supposed to be something orange on the nacelles, it's not orange ingame, and on TV you never see it look orange, because it's dark in space and the glowy bits around it always blend a bit, so... not sure if OK

but

http://techspecs.startrek.acalltodut...alaxy_side.jpg

...oh and the Galaxy Class still is sub par compared to many other Ships, i REALLY want Crpytic to redo this one.
keep the Saucer that Captain Logan re-made, but redo all the rest please.

The Nacelles lack any detail, the Neck has the wrong shape, not to mention that the main hull and the struts don't connect properly

etc. etc.

but why put effort into something that doesn't produce MOAR $$$?

also... the bad excuse that Ships have a Polygon budget and that the Galaxy Class has maxed it out... kinda went out the Window with the Venture Class, i mean only look a the Deflector Dish on that Ship...
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys, I started to think my monitor was broken or I just need more sleep.

I know the "ruffled" section behind the collector is supposed to be orange/ocre, but it's not just a ring.

And yes know that you mean.
I also feel the Galaxy needs some work.
But strangely I think polys are not actually the problem.
There are dozens of Galaxy models out there that are actually low-poly and not that pretty, in terms of roundness.
But for some reason I can't fathom they still capture the Galaxy class better than the STO incarnation does.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1...enShot_226.png

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1...enShot_212.png

these are from the ST mod for Sins of a Solar Empire, but for some strange reason these limited-quality Galaxys feel more real to me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
The orange ring is most likely just light reflection from the impulse ingines.

View aft image here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
The orange ring is most likely just light reflection from the impulse ingines.

View aft image here.
Except the ring on the third nacelle extends across the top of the nacelle, where the nacelle would block the light from the impluse engines (as the bottom of the third nacelle is higher then most of the saucer), leaving nothing to reflect.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
Except the ring on the third nacelle extends across the top of the nacelle, where the nacelle would block the light from the impluse engines (as the bottom of the third nacelle is higher then most of the saucer), leaving nothing to reflect.
Nonetheless, SciFiFan is correct.

The light and shadow mapping in a game engine is going to be less sophisticated than something that is pre-rendered for film. Optimization of shadows is an incredibly intensive process, and so it's highly likely that the depth-map shadows are using a lower resolution filter. (We know already that the shadow mapping in STO is horrible... Next time you're flying under an asteroid, take note of the jagged lines cast over your hull. The evidence is there.)

In other words: all you're seeing is the light from the impulse drive reflecting off the Bussard collector's trailing edge.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
I have seen my ships in game at angles where a part of my ship (IE saucer) should have been casting shadow on another part of the ship but, it did not.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Probally just a model/rendering glitch.
^^ I'm going to go with this. Most of these are screenshots edited to for web use and that ring doesn't exist in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
The light and shadow mapping in a game engine is going to be less sophisticated than something that is pre-rendered for film. Optimization of shadows is an incredibly intensive process, and so it's highly likely that the depth-map shadows are using a lower resolution filter. (We know already that the shadow mapping in STO is horrible... Next time you're flying under an asteroid, take note of the jagged lines cast over your hull. The evidence is there.)

In other words: all you're seeing is the light from the impulse drive reflecting off the Bussard collector's trailing edge.
So the other 2 nacelles were rendered properly and/or lack the reflective strip?

Or must be a pretty unique reflection bug to only show at that specific angle...
http://www.stoacademy.com/datacore/i...er/galaxyx.png

and only on that pic, not in game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMj6cQJ2cTY

I would personally also describe it as a rendering issue rather then "just light reflection." Which implies it should be there...

I would think a still pic on the main page could/should be cleaned up at least as well as in game.