Lt. Commander
# 11
12-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Tauri View Post
Confirmed, Chris from STOked received a bug ship, but wont say from who... I'll put good odds that it was JMan himself who dev'd that into his inventory.
Ahhh...

The joys of 'Who Ya Know'...

Like folks wouldn't be able to 'assume something' and figure that one out...

To be fair, unless it can be confirmed, one should not make that assumption. <chuckle>
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-19-2011, 10:17 PM
TBH, I never even heard of your podcast till now.

Maybe that's part of the reason why you're not part of the big Cryptic promo campaign trail?

Anyway, your rant was pretty... ranty. Chances are you drove away more potential listeners with that than Cryptic ever did by ignoring you.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Im not familiar with your podcast, but I do understand the desire for recognition when you put your all into something.

Your post does come off a bit "why didn't we get.." even though you are emphatic about that not being your point. I honestly hate it when companies seem to hand pick fan sites to be their officially unofficial pr group. And I really hate it when a previously independent fan site becomes the officially unofficial pr group and stops reporting unbiasedly. People notice these things, and people go to whom they trust when they see bias start to creep in (at least, the free thinkers do, I know there are also the mindless lemmings). I will check out your podcast and decide for myself if it's for me.

Having said all that; One of my favorite companies - ArenaNet - seems to have chosen GuildWarsGuru (and GW2 Guru) as their official unofficial spot. They break stories to them first and the rest play catch-up. ArenaNet does try to include as many fan forums as possible, so I think they do a better job than Cryptic, but I think this kind of thing happens everywhere.

Your podcast is a labor of love. Making it the best podcast you can, and growing your listenership should be the only real rewards you should need. If Cryptic ever includes you, let that be gravy. If Cryptic keeps ignoring you, so what, did you really start your podcast to earn their approval?
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Tauri View Post
Confirmed, Chris from STOked received a bug ship, but wont say from who... I'll put good odds that it was JMan himself who dev'd that into his inventory.
I won't defend Cryptic in their supposedly selective marketing use of pod casts. Nor do I defend STOked on it's recent decision to be a "positive fan show only". (I'd rather see issues reported on from all angles - negative, positive and in between.)

But it's unfair to accuse Jeremy of "using his dev status to hook a buddy up" which I'm sure is against Cryptic Employee Policy. Jupiter Fleet is large and for all we know it was a gift from a fleet member or some friend other than Jeremy. If Cryptic wants to investigate that's up to them, but it's honestly no one's business where he got the ship or if he chooses to use it himself or promote STOked with it.

Best of luck to RSA, I heard of it but never listened in. Might try it one day.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
But what really broke the camel's back was what we've seen recently. If you listened to last week's PodcastUGC, you know they received a Jem Hadar ship from Al Riveria aka Gecko, to do with as they please. And we learned that Priority One, has received one as well. We don't know if STOked has but I think it's a safe bet to say that, Chris and gang will receive one.
if this is true, as far as i'm concerned thats a major red flag on cryptics part and a double slap in the face to the community. giving that out for free to site that essentially 'yes man' their actions, while people pay hundreds of dollars here and don't get squat.

Quote:
Arent you the guys that had homophobic jokes in your shows? Maybe they dont want to associate themselves with any podcast they think would offend their players. Cant blame them.
I don't think that was them, but even if it was thats not the point he is trying to make. what hes saying is cryptic is playing favorites, particularly on an issue thats shall we say....angered people more than enough already. as I mentioned above, between doing the yes man thing and handing this stuff out like candy to people that are shall we say less than entirely objective, its not a good thing. it speaks volumes

Quote:
Pretty sure I recognize you from several highly critical comments directed at Cryptic for what you feel are bad decisions
in other words sing their praises and get rewarded, tell the truth and get nothing. you know what that looks like right?

Quote:
And it's not even the good kind of critical; you tend to be outright insulting.
considering the number of times cryptic has been insulting to its players as a whole, you shouldn't be pointing fingers for that, nor should they.

Quote:
To be honest this whole rant just ensured I will not be a listener of your podcast. I listen to all the podcasts I can get my hands on and simply have never heard of yours. This kind of rant does leave a sour taste so i can honestly say this is one listener you lost preemptively.
its not a rant, hes raising valid concerns.

Quote:
which is something no dev, admin or company has any business doing. all it does is promote elitism and implies playing favorites

Quote:
If Cryptic ever includes you, let that be gravy. If Cryptic keeps ignoring you, so what
it would show very negatively on cryptics part

Quote:
But it's unfair to accuse Jeremy of "using his dev status to hook a buddy up" which I'm sure is against Cryptic Employee Policy
wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. if it happened its not the first time a dev in a company did something like this

Quote:
but it's honestly no one's business where he got the ship
its very much everyone elses business if it came from a dev. that shows either favoritism on the part of cryptic or corruption on the part of the dev. both of which are very valid issues to the game and community as a whole
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
if this is true, as far as i'm concerned thats a major red flag on cryptics part and a double slap in the face to the community. giving that out for free to site that essentially 'yes man' their actions, while people pay hundreds of dollars here and don't get squat.

I don't think that was them, but even if it was thats not the point he is trying to make. what hes saying is cryptic is playing favorites, particularly on an issue thats shall we say....angered people more than enough already. as I mentioned above, between doing the yes man thing and handing this stuff out like candy to people that are shall we say less than entirely objective, its not a good thing. it speaks volumes

in other words sing their praises and get rewarded, tell the truth and get nothing. you know what that looks like right?

considering the number of times cryptic has been insulting to its players as a whole, you shouldn't be pointing fingers for that, nor should they.

its not a rant, hes raising valid concerns.

which is something no dev, admin or company has any business doing. all it does is promote elitism and implies playing favorites

it would show very negatively on cryptics part

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. if it happened its not the first time a dev in a company did something like this

its very much everyone elses business if it came from a dev. that shows either favoritism on the part of cryptic or corruption on the part of the dev. both of which are very valid issues to the game and community as a whole
Let's try to NOT blow this way out of proportion, till a few 'assumptions' can be confirmed...

And either way, a simple solution would be for someone at Cryptic to allow the OP to 'Give-Away' a BugShip on their podcast...

No Harm, No Foul... Simply an over-looked opportunity for free advertising that can be rectified.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
TBH, I never even heard of your podcast till now.

Maybe that's part of the reason why you're not part of the big Cryptic promo campaign trail?

Anyway, your rant was pretty... ranty. Chances are you drove away more potential listeners with that than Cryptic ever did by ignoring you.
I realize it may sound a bit QQ-y, but its a unanimous opinion the five of us that do the show have.

As for potential listeners, please forgive me for saying this but we've always done RSA for fun. We love STO, we love it's community, we've never cared about listener count, it's the quality of your listeners not the quantity that define whom you are. As popular as STOked is and as good as show as they are, we wouldn't trade in our loyal listeners who've stuck with us week in and week out for the sheer quantity STOked gets. If people choose not to listen, god bless have fun enjoy STO.

Its been a time consuming labor we do. And we don't complain about that, we love doing it. But when so many other shows get recognition and we get none after two years, hundreds of emails, phone calls, it's.. heart breaking. It truly is heart breaking. You know why we were so happy Dstahl returned to Cryptic? Because he has been the only person within Cryptic who would take the time to talk to us. We may have only had two interviews with him compared to the dozens STOked has had with their staff but we were in hog heaven, so to speak, getting to talk to him.

Look at StarTrekOnline.com currently, there is also a news post about Tribbles in Ecstasy's podcast christmas special, they're giving away 1000 CP and other in-game prizes. Not to take away from them any importance but we've given more CP away than I can count in the last 12 months alone. We have no regrets over spending that money and handing it right back to the community but when certain podcasts and fansites give away 1000 CP and get front page promotions and we give away tens of thousands and don't get a peep, how is that fair?

For our 100th episode which should be around the end of February / March-ish, amongst tons of other CP related prizes we were planning on the five of us chipping in and giving away a Lifetime Subscription which the normal price is $300 USD and we never expected anything in return. We wanted to do it to both celebrate our 100 mark and promote STO even after it goes F2P. Combine that with at least 5000+ CP, a brand new Razer Cacharisis headset, in-game items etc and you're easily looking at what, almost $500+ we'd be putting into the community for one single episode?.

Do you know what it's like to work on something so hard, for so long, and never even have someone recognize the work? Not even considering the quality of the work but just the sheer manhours put in. We've done our show when we were sick, hurt, gave up time with friends and family, skipped holidays, and lord knows how many technical issues. It's like going through high school again, you see all the other podcasts get recognition and in the clique with Cryptic and we're the kid in the back of the lunch room that no one ever notices or acknowledges is even alive.

I know most people won't care. Nor do we expect them to. Most folks have never even heard of us. Cryptic cannot even bring it upon themselves to answer an email. Even if they simply replied "no, you can't have an interview" or "no we wont talk on your show" then we could live with that. We could at least say we tried, and got a response. But Derrick or whoever runs their PR these days, cannot even do that. Stormshade says "oh keep trying" how many times do you keep resending the same email, each and every week, for two years, and never get a response? Yes, we get it, we can take a hint, they don't wish to speak to us. We understand that. But they could have the decency to say so rather than just never answer.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I understand your frustration, wholeheartedly.

I've worked at projects that never got the recognition they deserved - neither from official sources nor from the community behind it. I know how hard that is. I know how sad it makes you feel to put yourself into something without it being honored and appreciated. And I know the feeling, the willingness to continue to do what you do despite all these issues - simply because you believe in it.

I also agree that quantity does not equal quality. But - and I think you might wanna think about that - I do believe that most of these projects that are now half-officially supported by Cryptic became big, widely-recognized projects on their own standing. They got followers, they got a reputation, they became known. And that's when Cryptic started working with them.

You have every right to be frustrated that the PR team at Cryptic never answered your call. Sure thing. But your post came across as more of a "why them and not us?" rant - criticizing other projects, Cryptic as a company and talking an awful lot about the Jem'Hadar ship. And that might actually do your project more harm than good - in all likelihood quite a few players who never heard of you might get a very wrong first impression of you guys.

As I said, I understand you. I even understand the need to let off some steam from time to time - especially under these circumstances. I just think you might've chosen the wrong approach to it, sadly.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
RSA, Priority One and any other podcast will get 1 more viewer if you do video not audio. Just sayin
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Okay...

First off it was one of our podcasts that called me something that people took offense too. It was quickly rescinded and an apology issued to everyone even though I didn't give a rats behind. so no it wasn't RSA. (Dunno why people care about this but okay).

Secondly, I personally have given away thousands of c-store points (probably close to around 8-10 thousand) on my own show over 9-10 months, and over the past year+ SSR has given away more points than I could even calculate atm without digging through my receipts. Do all of them make it on the front page? Nope most of it didn't. Do we care? Not really no.

I agree it's frustrating sometimes, but coming on the forums isn't the way to voice that complaint. Honestly if you have problems with PR there are easy ways to go about it (as in go up the food chain) via e-mails.

I agree with backyard your post sounds more like a "why them not us" type rant than anything tbh

Please note: this statement is my personal opinion and NOT the opinion of Subspace Radio.
Closed Thread