Lt. Commander
# 1 Shocking news
12-20-2011, 01:00 AM
look on this site an i will be revealed.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/86876
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Lol, check out the date on the article.

Old news, abandoned idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Lol, check out the date on the article.

Old news, abandoned idea.

yeah that was what i meand. atari want to bring it in the game but cryptic doesn't want it becouse than they can't make money out of it. so this will never happen and so what cryptic promis us that we can make our own star ships will never happen.

so cryptic lare a bunch of liars. and they make false promisis. why do think that when dhan stal was gone. the engineering reports also went gone. and olso ask cryptic was olso gone becouse cryptic don't want that we players heve something too put in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2011, 01:43 AM
You need to get your facts straight.

The article references a contest by Cryptic/Atari where you could create your own ship on a special website (!) and win prizes. This feature made it live about a year ago (probably a bit more) and the contest was actually held back then.

This has nothing (!) to do with in-game features or false promises.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkamp
yeah that was what i meand. atari want to bring it in the game but cryptic doesn't want it becouse than they can't make money out of it.
This is just silly. Atari wanted to milk STO for all it was worth. They weren't heroes who wanted the game to be great but got stopped by the "evil money-grubbing Cryptic". The opposite is true.

I imagine that if Atari had not sold Cryptic for a quick buck, these things would have happened:

We not have free to play.

All the pay to win ships and items would've been added anyway.

We would have the dilithium system, except that dilithium could only be bought with C-Store points, not sold for C-store points.

^^ That is what Atari would have done if they didn't sell Cryptic. If Atari had created a "starship builder" program for STO, you can bet they'd have jumped at the idea of charging players to use it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't mind the idea of making our own kitbashes or at least allow us to have more parts to play with, it's not all that hard to find someone with the same "unique" ship design. More in this department would be better. Sell the parts on the C-Store and make a good profit doing so. Considering how much Cryptic has got to create awesome character editors and costume editors. My only question is why leave the Ship Editor so plain? There is as most 4 parts to play with per tier. This only counts if you got the +1 ships or costumes.

I'm sure there are some "legal issues" about it. But I would think if they aren't going to use canon designs then they can cook up some of their own without issue. They don't have to be canon parts, just some extra pieces to play with. Or allow us to unlock a cruiser pack. Which allows us to use all the peices of all the cruisers in the game. The ships are the main stay of this MMO. I just don't know why it's been handled liek it's a secondary idea. I would like to mix and match and create my own ship. With more than just a handful of options.