Lt. Commander
Now, I'm pretty sure this won't be well received but i noticed this on Tribble and I noticed this again when on Holodeck.
I wonder if it's such a great idea to have skill point rewards for DOff assignments.
You've undoubtedly heard how folks can get from one level all the way to VA/LG using DOffs alone. In fact, I'm about to hit LG on my Klingon with DOffs, this from Captain and I've hardly run any missions inbetween.
Is this a good thing?
Are we in effect, keeping our playerbase from exploring/doing missions/experiencing the content by offering them the opportunity to just park at ESD/Qo'noS and run DOffs every four hours or so?
Now, I'm not against rewards mind you. And everybody knows how hard it is to level a Klink the old fashioned way. It's just that i feel that leveling with DOffs seem a little... Too easy.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't think a little xp is bad. But currently, well, I've gotten over 2500 xp for a DOff mission, on a crit. That's just way too much.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Yea...I sort of agree, actually.

Especially for how long it takes to level the Doff system, you'll probably hit VA/LG before you hit T2 in most categories.

I dunno....on the other hand, it isn't like you can't do the story missions after you level up.

It just comes back to the same issue of what do you do after you hit max level. Right now we *do* have a lot more to do than we did a year ago...now we have STF stuff to grind and the Doff system to play with, which is two more things than we used to have so....I dunno.

On the other, other hand, I've played all the missions five times so I'm glad I don't have to go through them again unless I want to. Which is nice.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
My wife is progressing her toon exclusively from doff missions right now. She hears me crapping about the changes to the skill tree and how I'm waiting until others have figured it out before I jump in, and she figures that if she's getting XP for doffin', then that's just fine with her.

BTW, I did crit one KDF doff mission for over 3K points, so yeah, I think some mission rewards could be dialed back a bit. The Klink toon in question was an LTG, but he hasn't progressed very far in any track, so if he can do it, anyone can.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-19-2011, 10:14 PM
I think the more avenues to cap the better. A good game has an interesting storyline to keep you doing missions, but a great game gives you the choice to do other things you enjoy to get the same result. Most of us have played all the missions a hundred times, and content is notoriously slow coming. I say keep the doff avenue open. It's just as fun, or more so, then questing all day.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsan82 View Post
I think the more avenues to cap the better. A good game has an interesting storyline to keep you doing missions, but a great game gives you the choice to do other things you enjoy to get the same result. Most of us have played all the missions a hundred times, and content is notoriously slow coming. I say keep the doff avenue open. It's just as fun, or more so, then questing all day.
Exactly. Some people find the DOFF system pointless, while others absolutely love it. For those who love it, why shouldn't they be able to level up exclusively via the DOFF system if they wish?

I've also known other people who've played characters that were diplomats or whatnot (and one person who leveled his character to VA *exclusively* via pre DOFF diplomacy missions). For players who don't see their captains as getting into combat, the DOFF system is excellent for them as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Both sides of the issue have already been addressed here:

It was the intention of the system for duty officer to be an alternate means to leveling up throughout the game. With that said, almost *all* forms of leveling (episodic content, duty officer system, PvP, etc.) are granting skill points so fast people are hitting max rank in a couple weeks *without much effort*.

Until there's a lot more endgame content, I would suggest the devs have it so people take their sweet time leveling up. Explore and craft, run a bunch of episodes, level up some commendation categories, do some events, fleet actions, and play some friendly PvP missions -- *then* become a flag officer. As another thread already mentioned, Cryptic is even losing out financially from the fast-leveling as people don't have much incentive to buy low level ships (or the extra inventory/bank slots for that matter since all they have to do is hit the next rank).
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I think leveling is just way too fast. I enjoy the journey more then the finish. Im fine with alternate means of leveling but they need to slow down the pace by at least 20%. We shouldnt be maxing our characters in a week of light gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
I think leveling is just way too fast. I enjoy the journey more then the finish. Im fine with alternate means of leveling but they need to slow down the pace by at least 20%. We shouldnt be maxing our characters in a week of light gameplay.
As a rule I agree with this comment entirely. I think most people in MMOs make the critical mistake of burningthrough the levels as rapidly as possible to get to the end. In myexperience most of the gameplay is way better in scripted missions taking you to that end game than it ever will be when you get there. STO is no different to any otehr game in that regards.

However... there is the question of KDF. They still have only a handful of missions to play through and anything that makes the levelling more accessible for new Klingons is to be encouraged. It was not all that long ago when a Klingon could wait a long time to find a friend to PvP with! Recent changes accelerating levelling have added much needed additional chaacters in this faction.