Lt. Commander
# 11
12-20-2011, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
If he says its a gift then I dont feel that this is anyone's business personally. Chris is not only a member of a huge fleet, but provides a service to the whole community and is one of the most well known people in and around STO. it only takes one person to feel generous.
If it really was a gift with a random chance at a JAF just like anyone else, then there isn't a problem.

Now if he got the JAF because he had connections on the inside, then it really is a slap to the face of the community of thousands of players who spent lots of money and ended up with nothing. (I feel terrible for those poor souls who literally spent hundreds of dollars and still ended up with nothing).
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-20-2011, 03:28 AM
so what?
Chris is an awesome guy and makes an awesome podcast for STO, if somebody deserves a free bug ship it's him.

Heck i'd even give him a Dev account on one of the Test Servers only so he can capture better video footage for STOked ;P

...i guess haters gonna hate
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Really? Now we're turning this into a conspiracy? Suggesting that Jman or anyone else at Cryptic flat out gave Chris a ship (based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever) is borderline libel and extremely disappointing. There's no reason to doubt Chris's word that he got a landslide of gifts from his fleet and his fans.

I'm saddened by this line of thinking and the petty jealousy over this ship. Don't ruin a nice thing for him.

Edited after the thread exploded and Cryptic said they did give these out to podcasters: I have no issues with this at all. For the record, I have yet to win the ship and I certainly want one (a lot!) but I'm 100% in support of them giving these to whomever they wish, let alone someone like Chris. In my opinion, he deserves one and has earned it - I doubt I would have gotten as into the game as I have had it not been for STOked. I realize many will disagree with me and that's fine and expected. Just be aware not everyone sees this as some huge slap in the face, quite the contrary.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Now if he got the JAF because he had connections on the inside, then it really is a slap to the face of the community of thousands of players who spent lots of money and ended up with nothing. (I feel terrible for those poor souls who literally spent hundreds of dollars and still ended up with nothing).
Even that does not bother me. (just to be clear this is hypothetical) even if they actively gave chris a free ship the guy has spent the best part of 2 years doing a video podcast that will no doubt take a huge amount of his time and effort on a regular basis, be a tremendous boost for cryptic to have someone promote it in such a great way and he even travelled what? 1900 miles to go see them. i would not begrudge him that ship if thats what they have done.

this is Christmas after all. its no skin of my nose and hardly a slap in the face if someone has does something nice for someone else for their hard work. and yes ive spent a fair chunk of change trying to get that ship myself.

either way its total speculation.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
Even that does not bother me. (just to be clear this is hypothetical) even if they actively gave chris a free ship the guy has spent the best part of 2 years doing a video podcast that will no doubt take a huge amount of his time and effort on a regular basis, be a tremendous boost for cryptic to have someone promote it in such a great way and he even travelled what? 1900 miles to go see them. i would not begrudge him that ship if thats what they have done.

this is Christmas after all. its no skin of my nose and hardly a slap in the face if someone has does something nice for someone else for their hard work. and yes ive spent a fair chunk of change trying to get that ship myself.

either way its total speculation.
Too true.

Didn't he also announce that he's going to make the Podcast his primary work also? I remember something of him mentioning that he quit his previous job and is now devoting all his time to the Podcast.

And maybe he got the ship because he's now all alone in that big scary studio... no more support from J-man, only a few geeks on Skype... methinks he deserved it!
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM
favoritism for sure.

sounds like my fleet admiral to me.

people giving him mk xii very rare stuff to brown nose him and the guy sucks at the game. got to hold his hand through every mission in the game, lmao!

BTW, Got to say this "Cryptic knows how to **** of its player community!"

Can't wait for my light saber, lmao
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Of all the things about the bug-ship this is perhaps the one thing that *does not* bother me.

If I were placed in a game development position I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to gift things to close friends that others would not receive or receive easily.
I especially would not hesitate if said friend was someone who had given *so* much to the game's community already.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Sounds like what happened with EVE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_onl...per_misconduct
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Chris seems like a nice guy.

If he did get a free Jemmy, then I am happy for him.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
I have no problem at all with Chris being given a ship, so long as that ship came from a grab bag which operated under the same chances as every other grab bag, not some kind of Dev magic. The whole reason they made them tradeable was so that you could give them to other people(or sell them), so if someone bought a grab bag and opened it up and got a ship and decided to give it to Chris that is completely fine. Dev magic on the other hand is different.