Lt. Commander
# 31
12-20-2011, 04:01 AM
I suppose what this whole mess boils down to is that Cryptic doesn't seem to 'recognise' RedShirt Army as an entity even though it's been going on as long as it has. It's not so much the bug itself just that it seemed every other show had been given some form of recognition either via the bug or by being posted on the STO website.

The question is why was RSA snubbed like it was? I can't answer that, only Cryptic can but whatever the answer. it's a big kick to the gut to people who spend their own time and money on doing a show about a game that they enjoy to not even be given a modicum of respect and recognition.

The hosts of RSA have every right to be annoyed and upset however Cryptic also have every right to hand out items to whomever it wants to and publicise what it wants to.

Is this post going to change Cryptic's mind and have them give some recognition? maybe, maybe not but I can certainly see how they felt they had no option but to do this.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-20-2011, 04:19 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
So this will earn an infraction most likely. I used to care about that because I love the forums and I want to keep myself in good standing with it. But if Borticus is the Tron that fights for the users, RSA has always been the ones who fight for the community.
I've always enjoyed RSA, and have even given donations to your show.
Though I have often wondered why RSA podcasts never had a Dev or other community rep from Cryptic on or had special interviews and the like.
Sad really, RSA has always been critical of STO, but I have always thought such critical assesments where needed to offset the often overly kind portrayol of STO by other shows and I have always liked RSA as a part of my overall look into the comming and goings of STO as a whole.

But if Star trek has taught me one thing, its that nobody cares for the red shirt whom does the dying while the Big heroes take the glory and fame.
I hope this does not signal the end of your show or its honest contributions to the STO community.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Isn't this a little ridiculous? I mean this idea that just because you have a podcast, you deserve a ship? Okay, sure they gave ship to three other podcasts, but what about all of the other podcasts that they haven't given ships to? What other podcasts you ask? You know, the other STO podcasts that we haven't heard about. I have not heard of your podcast up until now. However, I have heard of the other three podcasts.

And this isn't showing favoritism. Giving someone something and not you, does not instantly make it favoritism. Favoritism is only earned after months and months of the same situation.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Chris and gang will receive one
Well I've not had anything from Cryptic and as far as I'm aware no one in Jupiter Force or the STOked team has received anything from Cryptic either least of all the bugship and if this isn't the case then where's my bugship? Some in the fleet have gained their bugships through purchasing packages from the c store, some off the exchange (one lucky sod got one for 5million EC) and some got theirs through gifts sent by other people either fleetmates or fans of the show because some people amazingly had the kindness to a gift of appreciation. People like Chris will get singled out and mailed a present because they are the head guy and if you could only send a single gift thanking STOked then you'd send it to the head person not the person who mopped the floor so to speak, that's the perk of being host.

I've not spent a cp on the winter package and am likely not to. I'd love to get the bugship but won't throw away money on a 'chance' to get something. If Cryptic is really giving away bugships to the STOked team I'll put in a ticket saying I got missed off their bugship list and their festive card list (well they did forget my stipend so who knows maybe).

Seriously I've pretty much accepted I won't get one and moved on the moment I read that it was only a chance to win it which was in the first few minutes of it going on the c store and the idea Cryptic would do this on a large scale some of you are implying is inconceivable though I can hedge bets those that are suspicious won't believe me so nothing anyone says is likely to change that.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-20-2011, 04:25 AM
[quote=Roach;3915101]
Quote:

I've always enjoyed RSA, and have even given donations to your show.
Though I have often wondered why RSA podcasts never had a Dev or other community rep from Cryptic on or had special interviews and the like.
Sad really, RSA has always been critical of STO, but I have always thought such critical assesments where needed to offset the often overly kind portrayol of STO by other shows and I have always liked RSA as a part of my overall look into the comming and goings of STO as a whole.

But if Star trek has taught me one thing, its that nobody cares for the red shirt whom does the dying while the Big heroes take the glory and fame.
I hope this does not signal the end of your show or its honest contributions to the STO community.

thanks for the kind words. Its folks like yourself is one reason i do this show. I just hope Cryptic can see that
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
If it was just my own opinion, I would agree. But it's a concenus amongst our cast. And as I responded to SSR, at what point to you say "ok no more of this"? It may cost us listeners, I know. But we have our principles and, most of which we were raised to follow. If that means less people listening to us, so be it that's what is meant to be but at least we'll have voiced our dissatisfaction. A hefty price to pay I agree but it's one we are willing to do.
Saying you're willing to sacrifice listeners at all as a podcast, in any context, isn't going to help.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-20-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm honestly surprised they go on StarbaseUGC but, at the end of the day, nobody else seems to want to use an interview as an ambush the way you do, mav, and you've been prone to airing your dirty laundry in public for at least six months as far as I've seen and before that had a podcast devoted to the more disgruntled factions of STO's players.

I doubt I would have anything to do with a PVP centered podcast where the host was angry either, especially not as an unpaid interview I did on my off time, which is what I think most or all of the interviews are.

Mistake number one is treating your podcast as a form of journalism. It's not. It's niche commentary and you have to have some honey for the flies. That's why Bill O'Reilly could get better guests than Glenn Beck, generally, and Jon Stewart could get better guests than either of them and The Today Show or Leno get better guests still.

You don't have to like Cryptic policy but you have to seem like a human being someone might want to hang with on their day off.

The more you talk about being snubbed or how Cryptic needs to answer on certain points, the less you seem like someone I'd do an unpaid interview with.

I think it's not about having a positive take on Cryptic. Podcast UGC is a rant most weeks but they do take care of the employees they have on and I think that's not something RSA offers. And it's unprofessional to air this in public or expect a reply... And heaven help us the explosion this thread would become if Bort or Brandon reply without closing it.
Lt. Commander
# 38 Meh
12-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Im not very politically correct, nor do I really care whom I offend (thats your problem not mine) so social courtesy and lil phony pleasentries are not my thing.

Regardless of other views here I would like to hear your pod cast....never heard it before...but am always intrerested in all points of views. I cannot condone the OP for being bashed for laying out what would appear to be a genuine concern as it pertains to fairness.

Try to take the emotion out of the assessment though OP as your message will come accross sounding less like a angry teenager and more like an adult with some concerns.

Everyone has a voice and deserves a chance, no matter how one feels they come off.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-20-2011, 06:42 AM
There should be criticism so long as it doesn't degrade into person attacks or pointless rants. I do know sometimes you have to go to the 'screaming level' to empathizes how important something is like the recent Voldomore exploit.

This action of favoring what appears to be pod casts that do not put much (if any) criticism out just seems wrong; especially when you could consider the bug ship a bribe. If the point of giving them out was to promote the ship, you would still want the harsh critics to get a hold of it to avoid the appearance of hiding things.

But in the end, Cryptic (as a whole) has no ethics and hates any negative feedback. So this honestly does not surprise me. I have not heard of the RSA Podcast until now, but I'll be sure to drop on by and check it out.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Im not very politically correct, nor do I really care whom I offend (thats your problem not mine) so social courtesy and lil phony pleasentries are not my thing.

Regardless of other views here I would like to hear your pod cast....never heard it before...but am always intrerested in all points of views. I cannot condone the OP for being bashed for laying out what would appear to be a genuine concern as it pertains to fairness.

Try to take the emotion out of the assessment though OP as your message will come accross sounding less like a angry teenager and more like an adult with some concerns.

Everyone has a voice and deserves a chance, no matter how one feels they come off.

The world runs on social courtesy and civility, my friend. Doubly more so in the entertainment industry, where appearances and perception mean everything. The very notion of "if you're offended that's your problem not mine" basically slams the two-way discourse door in the face of that person, especially when it comes to things like recognition. People generally tolerate working with other people whom they might not like but still try to make an effort. The people who basically have a chip on their shoulder from the get-go? Fuggedaboutit. Also not to mention, when word gets around to other people that a particular person "is hard to work with" (read: is a d****bag/troll/etc.), then you'll quickly find yourself effectively blacklisted in the community. All it takes is one bad experience by someone of relative importance to find the majority of your business contacts shutdown.

I have read Mavgeek's posts in other contexts and for the most part they sound ranty, a lot of posts which come off giving the perception that Mavgeek "knows what's best" or whatever. Of course RSA is not going to be considered a good PR partner if they were on the air this entire time and never managed once to get devs or community managers on their show. Just because they've been around the longest does not mean they deserve anything. Hollywood is not a meritocracy (then again neither are most things that involve money these days).
Closed Thread