Lt. Commander
# 1 Nebula Hull Options
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Ok lets be serious here, Nebula class ships.

Why are my Impulse engines not visible. I would assume its some illogical reason like its more stealthy.

Look whatever the reason is, I want to make that option myself. Could be easy to do too, just make the model options in the shipyard selection have Nebula, and Nebula (with engines). Know what I'll even go pay out some Cstore points to get this option.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the designers of the Original model said that the implse engines were hidden within the superstructure, and that it make the ship "more stealty" or something like that.

I agree there should be more nebula parts to choose from. The double pylon from the U.S.S. Phoneix, for example.

As for your request for visible impluse engines, I would suggest two on the rear endges of the saucer, OR a single one at the base of the vertical pod pylon on the aft.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Well its not like its real hard to make them vislble on the saucer. It is quite literally the exactly the same saucer as a Galaxy class. And yes that pylon seems to be lacking an impulse engine there as well.

I do have something to say about that "more stealthy" idea. Star fleet.. does not use cloaking technology ( Treaty of Algeron ). Atleast when the ship was originally designed to begin with.

Not to mention, who's going to stop an Admiral from changing their own ship specifications slightly?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya
I do have something to say about that "more stealthy" idea. Star fleet.. does not use cloaking technology ( Treaty of Algeron ). Atleast when the ship was originally designed to begin with.
Running silent has nothing to do with cloaking technology. Modern day ships and aircraft do it more often than people think. The idea is to reduce the engine noise such that it is relativly quiet. A great example is compairing the propelers of a turbo prop, a jet engine, and the General Enlectric engines of an A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka the Warthog). The jet engines are loud and obnoxious such than people can hear them comming from a long way off. The GE engines of the A-10 are so quiet that if the aircraft is flying low, you never hear it until it flys right over you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
It's also pretty amusing to note that in the almost-absolute zero of outer space, cloaking device or not, if your ship so much as moves forward half a mile, it would be visible on heat sensors for millions of miles (so says Dr. Pamela Gay, so must it be true)
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Actually this same argument was brought up before;

http://forums.startrekonline.com/arc.../t-200703.html

"A careful inspection of the Nebula-class model reveals that it has no visible impulse engines. In a recent entry on Doug Drexler's weblog, Rick Sternbach indicated that he envisioned the ship's impulse drives as being hidden behind baffles to scatter their signature for stealth reasons. He added that "modern" Starfleet vessel impulse engines operated on little conventional rocket thrust anyways, being more of a sub-warp subspace drive."

Exact verbage of the explaination as to why the ship class never had impulse engines that were visable. However I do feel for the OP, I for one support more customization options for the Nebula ranging from the oval sensor pod of the USS Pheonix to the 4 engines of the Uss Bellerophon (I hate that design but it's cannon :p) It seems silly that it's either that or the Monarch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Well details of why aside. The actual thread is a request to simply enable the impulse engine visuals on the Nebula class.

To be honest stealthy engines are not a mater of looks but more a matter of how they are designed and how they are run. Not to mention the level of stealth you want out of such an engine.

And, I don't even use mask Energy signature because when I need to get away from my enemies I just use evasive actions... and full power to engines anyways.

Really though, as it stands it looks like my ship is using RCS thrusters to move around, which kind of annoys me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
its just comforting to have i big red square that represents your engine, that's reason enough to have more galaxy class like impulse engines. seeing no visible representation always bothered me. i know the original physical model had no engines, but did the cgi model? i'll have to look for pictures
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
As far as I'm aware of, the only actual models of a Nebula class vessel with impulse engines.. err.. Believe there was some star trek legacy models that had it.. Of course its been so long since bethsda soft never used a proper game engine for that to begin with.. so its using outdated windows 98 / 2000 structuring... yea .. anyways.. not the topic..

No.. Officially the Nebula class never had visible impulse engines. And I'd really like to know what for, being starfleet was not meant to have stealth technology for all of the time lines that this particular vessel was displayed, mentioned, or even implied that there was one there at such and such time.

so.. Admiral.. seriously, we got this Ship.. stealth features on it.. comes with a 'cloak' that we're not supposed to use, and to make it more effective our engines are stealthy.
- And the Admiral would reply, who are you and what did you do with my real starfleet crew..
eh I'm horrible at that.. no really though, what part of forbidden to develop stealth technology did you all miss when you designed the Nebula class.