Lt. Commander
# 61
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Craft like that have a term of design in Star Fleet Battles, they are called pseudo-fighters, they are too big to be considered fighters, but too small to be a small combat vessel, such as a Frigate. Pseudo-fighters would be able to have some degree of comfort for thier crew, while a fighter wouldn't.
I don't know about Starfleet Battles (though as far as I know, that "continuity" is split from the regular canon long ago), but in Star Trek, we only have Peregrines so far serving in a fighter-like role. And in STO, the To'Duj Fighters and the Peregrines are all of the same size and comparable strength. So STO and Startrek only seem to have "pseudo"-fighters anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 62
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I don't know about Starfleet Battles (though as far as I know, that "continuity" is split from the regular canon long ago), but in Star Trek, we only have Peregrines so far serving in a fighter-like role. And in STO, the To'Duj Fighters and the Peregrines are all of the same size and comparable strength. So STO and Startrek only seem to have "pseudo"-fighters anyway.
In S.T.O., Yes, Perigrines and To'Duj fighters are what we have right now, and they do seem like psuedo fighters. But we also have Scorpions, that are much smaller and very much like a "classical" fighter (albeit we players cannot drive them, but we can use them alongside us.)
Lt. Commander
# 63
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I myself could go either way Do I think there should be doesnt matter I like all the ships I have seen in game so far. I figure though that the reason we never saw the carriers is there ugly as all get out Kinda like a shoe box with nacelles.In fact I propose that should the carrier ever make its way to the field that it be so designed .
Lt. Commander
# 64
12-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
If you have been reading what I have stated, I have never said that the Fed's should get an in-game carrier, I have just been saying that Fed' carriers make sense upon the concept that they would go along and behind a task force and launch the fighters in support of the task force behind the combat zone. Fed' carriers by design, wouldn't be slugging it out on the front lines, if they are , the battles really desperate.
I allso said that carriers following the force to deploy fighters before combat would make more sense and be much better for pilots than having them stuck in a smaller craft all the way from starbase to the combat theatre.

No. If you'd want a detachable base for your fighters, you will instead make this:

A huge box.

Said box will be equipped with a huge, empty space inside, called "the empty space in a hollow box".

In said space you situate all the stuff needed to have a flight deck. (maintenance facilities, life support, creature comforts, etc.

You release the fighters from said deck through something called "a hole" in one of the walls of this box. Fighter will use this "hole" to cross out into pen space. You should probably add an airlock for that hole or at least have a decent forcefield ready but that is not really a requirement since i doubt that anyone who would actually operate a fighter force in star trek would need oxygen - since their brains must have long since stopped benefiting from said persons' metabolizing of valuable stuff like food or air.

AAAAANYway:

You can just dock said boxes to your hull and carry them along and ditch them at the edge of your prospected combat field.
Same result, but cheaper.

And equally retarded.

Again i ask: why use carrier instead of a launching platform for masses of long range torpedoes? Its the first thing i'd commission in star trek: a ship that will lob obscene amounts of torpedoes at warp speeds while merrily circling the combat zone.

Have fun dealing with torpedo swarms coming in at warp 6...
Lt. Commander
# 65
12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
No. If you'd want a detachable base for your fighters, you will instead make this:

A huge box.

Said box will be equipped with a huge, empty space inside, called "the empty space in a hollow box".

In said space you situate all the stuff needed to have a flight deck. (maintenance facilities, life support, creature comforts, etc.

You release the fighters from said deck through something called "a hole" in one of the walls of this box. Fighter will use this "hole" to cross out into pen space. You should probably add an airlock for that hole or at least have a decent forcefield ready but that is not really a requirement since i doubt that anyone who would actually operate a fighter force in star trek would need oxygen - since their brains must have long since stopped benefiting from said persons' metabolizing of valuable stuff like food or air.

AAAAANYway:

You can just dock said boxes to your hull and carry them along and ditch them at the edge of your prospected combat field.
Same result, but cheaper.

And equally retarded.
You mean this SEXY box?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 66
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValle
Seems kind oif redundant that federation does have any carrier classes. Klingons have like a half dozen at least with the new addition of ships with the Kar'fi getting a second hangar bay. I just wish they did have some. I dont really care to play federation because they don't have any carriers, which i have always liked playing pet classes in every MMO i've played.
I agree that the feds can use a carrier, but I'm only saying that because after playing a klink carrier captian for a month, I want one for my fed engineer. Feds get some ships that will never be seen on klingon faction...i.e mvav, retrofit galaxy, science ships w/ hull plating ect ect ect....its a balanced mix. klinks get cloaking warships,carriers and BOPS. feds get the best in state of the art tech, and now with the addition of mark X gear from the cardassian front, get more options in ship weapons and ground equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 67
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
You mean this SEXY box?

-Quiiliitiila
tis no box.....