Lt. Commander
# 1 You know who you are?
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
My current player is VA(1), Tac. The ship is Adv Tac Esc. Consoles match to beam and torp weapons, ship structure, shields, tractor, and the bridge crew skills enhance the weapons and abilities of the ship. Character skill-set also is plotted to the abilities. Everything on the ship is VR, and I have and use the Borg eng, def, shields, and universal consol on the tactical shelf.

Last night after trying an "elite" STF, and loosing, badly (I've done them b4 and have won, but died more often, as may be expected), I was challenged by one of the team members, one of the two that never died. I knew there were "expert" players out there that were "next level," and in the 1-on-1 challenge I conceded, and acknowledged I was "out matched," and left the challenge 0-2 of 5. Battle in both of the encounters was less than 3 seconds. With his first pass my shields were gone b4 I saw him on mini-map. I hit him with Borg tractor and was dead b4 it engaged. His second pass, same-same, this time I managed to engage evasive, emrg pwr 2 shld, hang a hard left, and tapped the space bar to fire once b4 I died.

I am well aware that I am no great gamer. I grew up in the 60's when the latest technical advance was color TV. I had an intellivision, and played "Pong," and "Asteroids." My nephew, when I play X-box with him, whatever game, he makes certain he only hands me the controller after a critical save, but I do okay, straight up, all things being equal, I'll give you an expectable challenge, and could get lucky and win, and. over time, I will learn and play the game better.

So the question is what is the difference? I've read of a ship builder program add-on, does this allow such supremacy; I need to spend more money (which Iím willing to do), this being aside from operator level or ability? I'd appreciate any insight that may be offered.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Equipment helps but is not the mainstay of what makes one a good or even great PvP'er.

TIming, knowledge of how powers combine to effect, experience and skill in usage are the biggest differences, and is what seperates the those whom PvP hardcore from those that do not.

Its almost a constant in any game that has PvP.

My suggestion would be to ask questions in the PvP forum subsection and even ask privately of those players of reknown on a PM level for advice.
Most will be more than happy to help as better new PvP'ers raises the game for all pvP'ers and brings more attention to what PvP is lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
TIming, knowledge of how powers combine to effect, experience and skill in usage are the biggest differences, and is what seperates the those whom PvP hardcore from those that do not.
My main tip for people who die frequently:

I noticed a huge difference in my combat effectiveness when I learned to trigger some of my shield powers *before* engaging the enemy rather than after he struck.

It seems counter-intuitive until you realize that the spike damage in this game is so high that one of the most important things you can do is make sure you have at least one shield power active as often as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrruuiinn View Post
My current player is VA(1), Tac. The ship is Adv Tac Esc. Consoles match to beam and torp weapons, ship structure, shields, tractor, and the bridge crew skills enhance the weapons and abilities of the ship. Character skill-set also is plotted to the abilities. Everything on the ship is VR, and I have and use the Borg eng, def, shields, and universal consol on the tactical shelf.

Last night after trying an "elite" STF, and loosing, badly (I've done them b4 and have won, but died more often, as may be expected), I was challenged by one of the team members, one of the two that never died. I knew there were "expert" players out there that were "next level," and in the 1-on-1 challenge I conceded, and acknowledged I was "out matched," and left the challenge 0-2 of 5. Battle in both of the encounters was less than 3 seconds. With his first pass my shields were gone b4 I saw him on mini-map. I hit him with Borg tractor and was dead b4 it engaged. His second pass, same-same, this time I managed to engage evasive, emrg pwr 2 shld, hang a hard left, and tapped the space bar to fire once b4 I died.

I am well aware that I am no great gamer. I grew up in the 60's when the latest technical advance was color TV. I had an intellivision, and played "Pong," and "Asteroids." My nephew, when I play X-box with him, whatever game, he makes certain he only hands me the controller after a critical save, but I do okay, straight up, all things being equal, I'll give you an expectable challenge, and could get lucky and win, and. over time, I will learn and play the game better.

So the question is what is the difference? I've read of a ship builder program add-on, does this allow such supremacy; I need to spend more money (which Iím willing to do), this being aside from operator level or ability? I'd appreciate any insight that may be offered.

In all honesty...also be aware that many of the "UBER" players in this game are only uber because of exploiting known issues....or finding issues and not discussing them and thus exploiting unknown exploits.....there is a large group of PVPers known to do these sorts of things.....you can thank Cr@ptic for ignoring many bugs, glitches and exploits for large lengths of time and allowing this sort of thing to continue.