Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
it hard to beat some groups and often get wiped.
few mission forced me to abort after getting wiped several times.

i dont know what the problems was.
either my team's skills are terrible or got in nasty "kill funnel" with all those crates where i cant get "line of sight", or was my away team's armors and weapons are outdated? or hostile group are "elite"?

i just return playing STO few days ago, learning about researchings, dilithium events, scanning ( i am getting better with it as more success hit), and tried farming the missions in hope of getting the drops.

drop rates are terrible and my team's equipments seem lag far behind in upgrading.

researching took long time to make 1 good upgrade in a week, but it already outgrowned as i gain new rank in just 3 days, from Lt. Com to Commander, now currently Commander lvl 4.

i am stuck with doing Delta section, and tried other cluster sections and i failed to beat leader, elite forces, or too tough battleships trying to get lucky random rares, but i had to "abort".
i did learn some few tricks in ship combat and got better, but elite ships or heavy-gunned battleship at the end of missions are pretty tough and hair-pullings.

my current ship is "Stargazer" type.
most of my away team have mix of disruptors and phasers (rifles) and some standard MK V armors.

what is wrong so far, or is there a way to gear up fast as i gain a new rank? please give me some ideas to work on upgrading, trying to stop some frustrations with failed missions and space combat.
my ship just got 1 new "very-rare" i just crafted and it doesnt seem to help much.

only one the help much, it is the mines, as i learned to "space dance" and using the mines as the wall and switching sides with healthy shields.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Check your Options menu (press Esc key to find it). Check to see what your difficulty is at. If it is Elite or Advanced, change it to Normal.

To get better Equipment, you can use the Exchange at a Starbase.

For good item Drop Rates, set your Difficulty to Elite. You will get a three or four good items in every mission just from weak enemies.

The Winter Wonderland Race's common Green Boxes always have good Ground Equipment for characters who are not VA rank.

Bring a Science-type Bridge Officer who has Medical Skills to heal you. If you do not have one, you can learn Medical Skills at the Bridge Officer Skill Trainer at a Starbase or use a Purple-type Bridge Officer that you get a lot of from Duty Officer missions to Train your Science-type with Rare Medical Skills.

When you die, use Call For Help to have one of your Bridge Officers revive you.

Your ship is a Cruiser-class. This means that you have weak (-ish) Shields (Science has the highest Shields). But you do have many spots for Engineer Bridge Officers. Set the Bridge Officer stations with characters that have Healing / Repairing Skills. This will help.

Look at what Skill that you have on your main character. They may not be very good Skills. You might need to change them at the Skill Trainer in the middle of the Starbase.

Remember: the P button will let you set all of the Abilities that you have where you want them in your Ability Tray. Some Skills will not show up if you do not put them there yourself.

When getting a Rank-up, remember to remove your old ship's equipment before changing ships. Some times the older stuff is stronger than the new ones that you get.

After all of that, if you still need help, you can add me to your Friends list. I usually play these two characters: Raye@jeslyn or Fire@jeslyn . If you ask, I will help you if we are online at the same time. (^__^)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylonus
my current ship is "Stargazer" type.
most of my away team have mix of disruptors and phasers (rifles) and some standard MK V armors.
This may be part of your problem. If you're playing on Elite then the NPCs have more HP so they take a little longer to take down whilst they deal more damage. Try running 4 Expose weapons on your Bridge Officers; I like wide beam pistols but if you wan them to have rifles for aesthetics then the full auto rifle is an Expose weapon. It's also a lot of fun to use.
For yourself, try running with an exploit weapon, I like the Compression Pistol for these duties as it has a fast firing exploit attack whereas sniper weapons take a second or two to fire the exploit attack and you can miss the expose in that time.

Heals will also help; run a Medic BOff with Medical Tricorder and Vascular Regenerator. Even if you're a medic yourself this BOff will then heal your other BOffs instead, keeping them in the fight for longer. I also run a shield healer BOff with two copies of Shield Recharge (as well as Reroute Power to Shields and Quantum Mortar II). This BOff also gets to play with the aforementioned mortar which is impressive at dealing massive AoE kinetic damage that tears into NPCs. Just place them out of sight and the NPCs won't even aggro on the mortar.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-23-2011, 03:33 AM
If you have the Liberated Borg Bridge Officer, you should use her with a melee weapon. In addition to Melee attacks ignoring shields, she also has neural beam assimilation-style debuff Trait. It is short-range only. Making her a Melee-type will ensure that she uses it often. It can be a great help, especially against Bosses.

The Android Veteran Reward Bridge Officer has great Ground Traits also.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Having a dedicated 'medic' BOff can seriously imrove your survivability. Give one of your science officers only heal powers and a really lame weapon that does, ideally, stun or knockback and no AoE... that way she wont waste all her time healing herself. On my Vulcan Sci I call this one 'Mother'.

Also, do you issue your BOffs with hypos? This could get expensive and they dont always use them very well, but they will live longer. You can replicate the small hypos while aboard ship for peanuts and I tend to give them out to all of mine.

Interstlingly when you come to replace those hypos after a few missions you can see which of your BOffs is taking all the samage and maybe make some changes to your equipment. The one that used up loads of hypos is the one drawing all the aggro.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
If you have the Liberated Borg Bridge Officer, you should use her with a melee weapon. In addition to Melee attacks ignoring shields, she also has neural beam assimilation-style debuff Trait. It is short-range only. Making her a Melee-type will ensure that she uses it often. It can be a great help, especially against Bosses.

The Android Veteran Reward Bridge Officer has great Ground Traits also.
Melee no longer bypasses shields and hasn't since S4. IIRC it's 50% through shields, the only time you'll get a full strength hit is when the target has no shields.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
With my build i havent wipe in months, 2 healer and 2 eng, eng drops 2 turrent each with shield heals, healer has 2 heals and that nano heal and something else cant remmber,and make sure your not on elite or advanced,
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
Melee no longer bypasses shields and hasn't since S4. IIRC it's 50% through shields, the only time you'll get a full strength hit is when the target has no shields.

My mistake then. Still, 50% bypass is better than nothing. Having that second character with an Exploit attack isn't bad, either.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-23-2011, 07:02 AM
oh, i just forgot to give my best away team promotions, (face palmed).

yes, i do have healer on my team, just got unlocked "heal matrix" device.

it may take several "Multi-scan" events for materials to craft, i just learned to run it, and i like it, and made 3 more upgrades on my ship, i was able to solo klingon flagship in contact for first time.

thanks for all that tips.
get those academy events and multi-scan sectors, both are the keys to successful upgrades.

those drops in missions are way too low to get my team updated.
now i know when is best time to give crew members the promotions, bigger the ship and you got lot of bridge crew for more bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Good. I am glad that you are doing better.

Remember: Elite difficulty gives higher drop rates and better equipment in those drops.