Lt. Commander
# 1 New STF Gear and Data Chips...
12-09-2011, 06:30 AM
So I was trying to do a few STFs on Elite and got hopelessly crushed... well that's not fair, I don't want to take all the credit... But while I was doing it I noticed that on one of the missions one of our teammates was awarded a borg data chip thing (the one you need for the good gear). He then bailed on us and our team had to quit the mission.

Anyway, my question is: Are the chips random? Or do you have a chance to get them during the missions and automatically get them after one?

Also, how many chips are needed for the new gear? The STFs on elite are tough cookies and it's hard to get a good team together to go through them...

And what's up with the cool down on the STFs? Really 50 minutes even if you FAIL?

Ug, I thought getting this gear would be fun, but I guess I was mistaken...

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2011, 10:06 AM
there are several types of these things.

borg salvage, comes in 2 types, Rare and prototype. they help you get requisition forms for a lower cost (1-2 each as opposed to 5-10 Data chips)

there are also really rare items supposedly that basically let you get 1 peice of one of the sets for turning them in. they have things like "borg engine tech" or various other things. you wont see engine tech drop on ground STFs, like you wont see PSG (Personal Shield generator) tech drop in space.

in case your wondering why they named them PSG Instead of just Shields, well its to distinguish it from the ship shield drops.

the Mk XII STF gear can only be gotten through the super rare items (I believe found only on Elite STFS) Mk XII "standard" gear can be gotten via the prototype salvage also found in elite STF's. the Mk X and XI items should be obtainable via the encoded Data Chips both STF and Standard gear.

ias to the Drop from enemies it is completely random if you will just get an item, or the rare EDC's and salvage/tech. completing the STF's optional nets another chance at rare items.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Which missions are the ones that award either the Borg Set pieces (Aside from 'Assimilation), or the Data Chips that I can exchange for the Borg set? I ask because I want to earn them, and I have been out of the STO loop for a while. I still have yet to beat the two Five-Player team missions in Borg space (mainly because of screw-off teammates who would quit at the important parts). That said, if anyone is organizing the five-player missions, let me know so I can come with.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
So I was trying to do a few STFs on Elite and got hopelessly crushed... well that's not fair, I don't want to take all the credit... But while I was doing it I noticed that on one of the missions one of our teammates was awarded a borg data chip thing (the one you need for the good gear). He then bailed on us and our team had to quit the mission.

Anyway, my question is: Are the chips random? Or do you have a chance to get them during the missions and automatically get them after one?

Also, how many chips are needed for the new gear? The STFs on elite are tough cookies and it's hard to get a good team together to go through them...

And what's up with the cool down on the STFs? Really 50 minutes even if you FAIL?

Ug, I thought getting this gear would be fun, but I guess I was mistaken...

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
You will recieve 1 on normal and 2 on elite as soon as you've finished the STF from your personal lootbag. On special STF days your reward will be doubled.
In additon to that they sometimes drop randomly both on ground and in space.

If you feel that your last Elite run was too hard, please not my signature, you might find some useful(general) information there, atm nothing specific about the different stfs though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviKerensky View Post
Which missions are the ones that award either the Borg Set pieces (Aside from 'Assimilation), or the Data Chips that I can exchange for the Borg set? I ask because I want to earn them, and I have been out of the STO loop for a while. I still have yet to beat the two Five-Player team missions in Borg space (mainly because of screw-off teammates who would quit at the important parts). That said, if anyone is organizing the five-player missions, let me know so I can come with.
The missions that you could get the items from have been removed (infected etc), and are now part of the PvE queues in two parts. So just do any of the missions (the borg ones in PvE queues, the space ones are better than ground), and you will be rewarded one of the data chips in normal, and two the Elite. Its pretty easy to get the borg set pieces, just do 15 normal missions.