Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
12-25-2011, 06:42 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
12-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
There are maybe one or two fights where I can get wiped along with my party fast. The first fight in cold call for example, those cryo grenades hurt. But for the most part it's the npcs that are doing the quick dying. And I rarely max out ground like the OP.

It's got to be in your build or your mechanics or both. You can claim people are lying, but it just makes you look bad. Shield recharge is a must have skill among your boffs. And remember, your shields will recharge on their own if you duck out of the line of fire for just 3 seconds. Crouching limits damage except for melee. Aim mode increases your damage by 33%; it's very significant and results in a lot of one shot kills of the other guys. Use the "crew target my target" buttton; I think it defaults to Y. Nothing except bosses stand up to focus fire for long.

There was a lot of good advice in here. Hyposprays: Dylovene and Melorazine give big damage resistance. Every character should also have hypos and shield charges in their device slots. Nanite health monitor gives instant heals whenever you or two others take damage.

The combat is a lot faster now, no doubt. But nowhere in Trek did you have people getting shot repeatedly with phasers and staying up and firing. Before season 4 you could shoot someone with a phaser rifle dozens of times before they die. That's not Trek. In my opinion, it's a lot better now.

If you're dying too much, try going without tac boffs. 2 Sci and 2 Engineers for your away team makes for a bit slower killing but you're pretty stout for staying alive. Be sure to bring lots of turrets (unless you're fighting Borg) and exposes from at least one sci boff. Make sure you have a mix of expose and exploit weapons among your away team. You should always have at least one exploit weapon on yourself. Use flanking to your advantage; don't let yourself get shot in the back if you can help it and move back if you're getting flanked.

And of course, if you're playing on normal as you say, respawning just takes a minute and carries no penalty other than your hurt pride.

I think there is approximately zero chance they will revert back all their work to the old ground system since most people like the faster speed.

Now, there is one aspect of Trek fighting that gets short shrift in STO; brawling. Fist fights were common in TOS; almost nobody punches somebody in STO. I think one mission should involve a big bar fight fought with fists, like in the Trouble with Tribbles episode in TOS.

If other people tell you they rarely die and offer advice, stop telling them they're lying because you're sure you're doing everything right. Because you clearly are not since others like me rarely die in normal mode. Try grouping up as well, since a player captain is approximately twice as effective as a bridge officer. I'm sure lots of people can give specific advice if you want it as well. Feel free to post your build that you bring to the ground. We'll help you figure it out.
Again, you people are assuming incorrectly, and failing to see the validity of my point. I am not calling people liars; I am simply saying that I'm not a Combat Wombat like they are. My away team has 2 engineers, 1 scientist, and 1 tac. I am NOT "All Tacticals" like people are assuming. My team is well balanced, with all the skills they need to keep me and the rest of the team alive. They are simply not enough, and you people calling me an idiot or a liar are absolutely not helpful at all. Everything said in this thread, I have already done.

The only possible reason for me to be dying so fast is that combat is too fast. It's not canon Trek, and it's not fun. Combat should take a while it always does in the shows. it isn't over instantly, so why should it be in STO?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
12-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
These are the words of somebody who refuses to adapt - beating a brick wall long after his hammer has broken and somebody has come along to install a door. "I'm already doing it right, the hammer is fine. The wall just sucks. Don't tell me about the door, I have a hammer. The wall is the problem."



Having an excellent team is one half of it. You need tactics to match or you may as well not have bothered with the team. If you're getting whittled down, you're taking too much fire and allowing a fight to drag out too long. Under no condition should you find yourself in a battle of attrition against anything below a captain level enemy, in which case it becomes a control battle to avoid taking fire - you still need to be working to avoid getting whittled down unless against a Devidian Phantasm or Elite Tactical Drone. If you have, you've failed to make good use of your excellent team.

So you copied a long time player's setup. Did you read his tactics, too? Are you deploying, pre-firing boff skills, and engaging in the same pattern he is? Or just walking in and exchanging fire?
False assumptions, again. I have retuned my team twice. It is a surviving team; the combat is simply too fast. I have adapted; the game is just unforgiving. That's not fun. Frankly, I don't care if you like the keyboard-mashing combat the way it is; you are not all players. You can always turn your difficulty harder if you want more challenge, but I cannot set the game any lower than Normal, so if anyone is truly failing to adapt, it's Cryptic, and that is going to lose them customers that is if they have any customers left after F2P turns the game into a Cash Pit and Dilithium Grind.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
12-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
Actually, if I'm honest I find the ground combat too easy. I have my whole away team packing phaser pistols and I just run around mashing the 1 key to fire and everything in our path is downed without difficulty. I hardly have to use my Captains powers as the unrelenting phaser fire just kills everything before they can be of any real use.
Then you are running into glitched mobs that are weaker than the rest of us are getting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
12-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse1983 View Post
Firstly, "Pause".

You have a button on your User Interface (UI) that will give you a precious 45 seconds or so of thinking time. Used carefully, you can set your ambushes, fire off a few abilities and have your next step ready after execution of the first.

I know this is stating the obvious. However, let's try to be constructive.

If you are absoloutely happy with build, equipment and so on, then you may wish to look at your execution. You built that away team with a set of abilities and effects in mind; Are they failing to accomplish this plan for any other reason than the speed of combat? If so, it's time for a rethink of who, what and how.

If not... well, you can always level through the DoFF system, stick to space missions and allow the rest of us to carry on curb-stomping our opposition with the customary glee of the Federation's finest psycopaths.

I am happy with the ground combat as it is, it is quite slow enough. Merry Christmas.
First of all, you shouldn't be required to Pause; that ruins the immersion in the situation. Second of all, in half the Exploration missions, the Boffs are all wandering off, and often not even there during combat that is when they're not wandering ahead to aggro other mobs. But that's a separate issue. The fact of the matter is that when they're all there, they are simply not using their heals or boosts. Again, I have taken that into account.

I state my opinion as a "fact" simply because I am not randomly complaining; I have thoroughly experimented with this issue, and the only conclusion I can come to at this point is that combat is too fast.

As I have said before, if you like combat faster, then play at a higher difficulty. Have mercy on those of us who aren't Combat Wombats, because we can't go any lower than Normal.

And kindly don't assume that your opinions are fact, and that I am simply being a whiner. That's not constructive. The next person who assumes that I haven't actually taken the effort to adapt to this new system is going to get reported as a troll.

In short, if you have nothing constructive to say, or nothing that contributes to this issue, then kindly shut the hell up. I don't need your criticism.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
12-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
12-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaud
I state my opinion as a "fact" ... and kindly don't assume that your opinions are fact... The next person who assumes that I haven't actually taken the effort to adapt to this new system is going to get reported as a troll.

In short, if you have nothing constructive to say, or nothing that contributes to this issue, then kindly shut the hell up. I don't need your criticism.
And here's the next person. Feel free to report me and draw attention to your own language and duplicate posting. But you've really explained exactly what you're doing wrong the last few posts.

Quote:
Boffs are all wandering off, and often not even there during combat that is when they're not wandering ahead to aggro other mobs. ...The fact of the matter is that when they're all there, they are simply not using their heals or boosts. Again, I have taken that into account.
No twitch, no button mashing here. If boffs aren't keeping up, wait, don't sprint around corners or through doors (big issue with foundry missions here), and don't engage without them. If your boffs are not there in combat, it's because you engaged without them. This isn't part of the new combat system, this is something you've had to do since day one, or at least day one after they fixed pathfinding so you didn't have to manually waypoint all four of them through every doorway so they didn't get stuck.

If bridge officers are running ahead of you, you're probably pressing the Y button, because when not engaged in combat, they follow a fixed formation behind and to either side of you. They can lag a long distance behind you, but they can't get ahead of you. It's just the one good thing you can count on with boff pathfinding.

Quote:
2 engineers, 1 scientist, and 1 tac
Quote:
It is a surviving team
Engineering boffs are only particularly good for putting out DPS, for survival you want more science officers for their buffs and heals and tacticals for their damage reduction, though you can only really get good use of one tac this way - if you have two they both blow their respective cooldowns together and after that you've basically got less to work with.

Quote:
The only possible reason for me to be dying so fast is that combat is too fast.
As fast as you describe, combat speed is not the issue. I've already quoted your other two posts where you spell out engaging without your away team - that's why you're dying so fast. In most cases you shouldn't even be the one engaging, but sending your boffs in ahead of you and joining. By running in ahead, you're not distributing incoming fire, and by engaging without your boffs (which you have explicitly said is happening in two posts) you're not just distributing incoming fire, but giving yourself nothing to work with.

I'm not a "Combat Wombat," button masher, or any of the other terms you throw around. On normal, I don't even help my boffs unless it's a boss level enemy. They can handle a group that has a heavy tactical drone, but not an elite. Devidians, it takes a Phantasm to get me to minimize my web browser. Romulans, only thing that requires my intervention is a thalaron weapon. Breen, as long as they're not all having a group hug in the cryo grenade, I'm fine until a Thot shows up. Gorn and Orion, even the captains my away team seems to handle just fine without my help. Klingons, I afk for swordmasters unless there's a Targ trainer with it, and only really have to worry about Dahar masters.

TL;DR: My ground combat strategy actually revolves around checking my email while occasionally sniping a target of opportunity.

Quote:
It's not canon Trek, and it's not fun. Combat should take a while it always does in the shows. it isn't over instantly, so why should it be in STO?
Ground combat is extremely fast in canon Star Trek - most fights last seconds. Pursuit scenes may last several minutes but involve numerous deaths... Long engagements between major named characters only last as long as they do because nobody ever actually gets hit and at any given time half the combatants are having conversations behind cover instead of actually fighting.

There weren't many open ground battles in Star Trek, but AR-558 was over in less than 3 minutes and had over 40 deaths. I don't recognize the battle in the link for the episode Rocks and Shoals, but I count 12 casualties in roughly 30 seconds following the first shots fired at 0:35 in the video.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I just use 4 engis with turrets, generators & support drones, & everyone has a minigun. I have zero points ground specced. I can afk ground combat & win.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
12-25-2011, 10:22 PM
My main runs with an away team consisting of one science boff set to heal, one engineer trained for shield repair and a pair of tac officers that i have yet to define specific roles for. I have no problems in ground combat unless I run into a Dahar master. Logic would dictate that if we are all satisfied with how the game plays out in this regard and have no issues with the speed of combat then you should look elsewhere for your explanation of your own difficulties.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
12-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaud
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Alexraptor has kindly put up examples of "canon" ground combat. All of it very fast paced. Care to provide some counter examples? Because I sure cannot think of any. You have a right to your opinion that STO combat is too fast, but to claim that canon ST fights were slow and methodical is just factually wrong. You cannot debate this, except by providing examples where people took multiple phaser hits and kept fighting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 AM.