Lt. Commander
# 411
12-26-2011, 02:48 AM
I have a bottle of fizzy put aside for the USS. Nerd Rage

NCC ..1..
Lt. Commander
# 412
12-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Actually to celebrate, one should have a bottle of champagne. Ideas and products are a good thing

A slice of Fruit Cake should be added for good measure, on a quick note, no nerd rage around here though.

but I would accept a glass of wine and that slice of fruit cake :p
Lt. Commander
# 413
12-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Or on the KDF side:
R'wdy-Drk
Lt. Commander
# 414
12-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
The Bags work, there are plenty of stout Pro-Cryptic Grab Bag Defenders that are willing to invest in a limited way, and your Trekkies and fans of the series will purchase them beyond reason.
Yep. No use yelling "slippery slope" when we are already sliding down fast. Oh, well. I'll just have to hope they don't release something I really crave.
Lt. Commander
# 415
12-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Yep. No use yelling "slippery slope" when we are already sliding down fast. Oh, well. I'll just have to hope they don't release something I really crave.
Nah no slippery slope, and by stating that you hope they don't release something you crave is the underlining argument.

Give what we want by means of the Grab Bags - Make that Profit - Then now we can get all the new content we are all craving.

More money = more revenue which = to more content

A ship is a ship, who cares, its the content that matters. Yes, folks love certain vessels and with the new influx of F2Players, they are bound to make a killing by offering exclusive ships by Grab Bag means. It will no longer be a subject of debate because this will be the only means to acquire one.

Yes, some will whine and cry and probably rage quit STO, but with this whole new influx of F2Players, $$$$ are everywhere. The Key to all this is NOT to release anymore normal CStore ship purchases, leave the ones that are already established or offer them for purchase to lifers and subs, but all F2Players will have to purchase grab bags and try their luck at one of the exclusive VA vessels.

Lt. Commander
# 416
12-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo94
SAD SAD days. I have been here from before the game launched. But I can tell you that game that I fell in love with then is gone. It has been replaced with a money for everything game. Selling stuff in the Cstore was never a problem to me untill last 3 months or so. And the people behind the game are not the same anymore. It use to be how is this working, And how did you like that we got from them. Now they say one thing and do another.
this is what you get when a game is swiching form making its mony form subs . to making its money form the c store. they cant just make the game and make it free on line. just like guild wars that would be just stopid. they would loos all of the monye they are raking in off of the cash shop
Lt. Commander
# 417
12-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Quote:

Give what we want by means of the Grab Bags - Make that Profit - Then now we can get all the new content we are all craving.

The problem is, in no way does more revenue for cryptic guarantee more content for us (assuming by content you mean missions, featured episodes, etc.)

There really would be nothing from stopping cryptic from having a grab bag event every couple of months while still only releasing new content once or twice a year.

What this grab bag event has proven to cryptic, is that the "long term" player is still going to throw barrels of money at cryptic, even after a rather long content drought.

Many of the free players are going to be the "revolving door" type. They come in, throw money at cryptic, hit level cap, get bored and leave. And the free players that do stick around are probably going to fall into the "long term" category I described above; they'll endure the long content drought, and when that grab bag event shows up, throw money at cryptic hand over fist (while probably complaining about how there is a lack of new content)

So any argument of "if cryptic doesn't use the loads of money they make from grab bags to provide new content, they're going to lose all their customers" clearly isn't true.

There is absolutely no guarantee that all the money they make from grab bags isn't going right into their pockets and towards making new grab bag events while they throw out generic events like the race and snowballs.
Lt. Commander
# 418
12-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
Last week or so I met with Stephen D'Angelo and said "wouldn't it be nice to give away some of the Jem'Hadar ships away as a gift? We should give some away to the community podcasters for all their hard work and all they do for the community." It felt good to give these items away, not just because its policy to give most things away to the press, but in the spirit of giving. These guys do so much for the game and the community - for you! They spend hundreds of hours recording, editing and publishing reviews, critiques and other content. They help us mold the game and they bring you the news that you might not have otherwise heard. Many of them do as much for the game as any of the developers here, and they donít do it for the money - they do it for the love of the game and for you, the community. It felt good to give back to these guys for all that they do.

So this morning, when I woke and checked my email, I can't tell you how sad and disappointed I felt. All those good feeling and intentions were being met with rage and jealousy. As Starfish 1 said, I donít just donít under why some cannot be happy for the others, especially for those who have already given so much themselves. I have already seem some of you respond to Mr. D'Angelo post making excuses as to why such rage was justified. You know what, it isn't - there is no justification for such mean spiritedness. Not only was this standard practice for the industry, it was whole heartedly meant as a gift and a thank you. Itís a very sad and disappointing that this sentiment was met with such jealousy and flames. Especially now, during a holiday of giving and good will.

Regards,
SadGeko

isn't it obvious? you have a very small community in this game, and for the last 9 months they have been waiting to see a return on the hundreds of dollars they have invested in your product, and I mean that on an individual level, between lifetime subscriptions and c store purchases the player base has gone above and beyond in finacially supporting YOU.

You have rewarded that loyalty and financial investment with a free to play conversion that punished and alienated those very same players, and still did not deliver on long held promises to fix glaring content gaps in the game for Klingon players, pvpers and the foundry.

The Cstore has been continuing on however, sure there isn't new missions or featured episodes, but hey for 30 bucks you can buy a ship, and for half that a new outfit.

Then you introduce an ultra rare gambling ship and exploit any remaining good faith you had with the players. You consider the fact that players with unhealthy mindsets draining their credit cards is evidence of a successful new addition to your game without realizing how utterly you damaged the little respect you had left.

And once again we sit here waiting on Klingon content, featured episodes, pvp updates and fleet starbases, we wait for foundry updates and incentives, and all we have are more one shot money grab cstore items that might make you a buck but leave us shaking our heads.

HERES A REALITY CHECK FELLA

there is no justification for such mean spiritedness in your treatment of the players of this game, you have consistently flaked on content delivery and monetized items any other respectable MMO includes as part of it's normal subscription fee.

You need look no further than your own behavior as a company to how the negative results of your gift to the press was recieved.

you should be handing out those ships to everyone in game that has spent 15 bucks a month plus all the cstore purchases they have made to support your product over the last two years because without them you wouldn't have a job, you want to reward special people? reward the customers that have put up with this nonsense!
Lt. Commander
# 419
12-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Nah no slippery slope, and by stating that you hope they don't release something you crave is the underlining argument.

A ship is a ship, who cares, its the content that matters. Yes, folks love certain vessels and with the new influx of F2Players, they are bound to make a killing by offering exclusive ships by Grab Bag means. It will no longer be a subject of debate because this will be the only means to acquire one.

Yes, some will whine and cry and probably rage quit STO, but with this whole new influx of F2Players, $$$$ are everywhere. The Key to all this is NOT to release anymore normal CStore ship purchases, leave the ones that are already established or offer them for purchase to lifers and subs, but all F2Players will have to purchase grab bags and try their luck at one of the exclusive VA vessels.

This influx of F2p players would for the most part say screw this and go somewhere they can actually get important in game items in game. Its called killing yourself slowly for short term returns.
Lt. Commander
# 420
12-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Chronos
There really would be nothing from stopping cryptic from having a grab bag event every couple of months while still only releasing new content once or twice a year.
Yes, there is. The free market. If Cryptic does a grab bag event every couple months and only releases new content once or twice a year, one of two things will happen. Either they'll find a loyal fan base of people who like that content release schedule, or that content release schedule will so alienate everyone that they'll lose money and either change the schedule to compensate or close the game.

The best thing about the game going F2P is that there won't be any logical reason to tolerate all the whining and complaining about things like this on the forum. It won't be a case of paying a sub and liking some parts of the game and not others. You'll be playing for free, and you'll get to vote on everything Cryptic does with your money, which, of course, is what they listen to rather than complaining.

TLDR; if they release gift boxes in two months after the game's free to play, there'll be a simple solution: Don't buy any of them. If they're unprofitable, Cryptic will stop.