Lt. Commander
# 11
03-02-2009, 11:55 AM
nice little story about how the Raptor got reintroduced into the Klingon Defense Force. I look forward to playing this game even more now!...sigh, I must wait
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Firstly as a Gorn (klingon faction player), thank you for posting a Klingon ship.

Secondly, I hope this is something we can do in game:
Quote:
Captains of Raptor class ships are fond of overcharging their weapon banks for greater effect,
Quote:
Originally Posted by willriker09 View Post
nice little story about how the Raptor got reintroduced into the Klingon Defense Force.

I agree, it was a well written description and history. Kudos to the author.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
Not a "new" ship design, was used in Enterprise: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Raptor_class

And why must it be named after a class of Terran birds, especially one that already has a group of ships named after it?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey
if you read the start of it, it says: "Facing the increasing demands of Chancellor Martok and the Klingon High Council to create more ships in less time, the design teams at the shipyards of Ty'Gokor looked to the past for inspiration for new ships for the Empire.

The Raptor class of the 22nd century was a small frigate intended for use as a scout ship. Its limited weapons and small crew compliment made it a ship for hit-and-run raids rather than extended conflicts. It was, according to lead designer Kurak of the House of Palkar, "capable of winning a battle, but not a war."
"

which explains why it is in-game so ok it might not be "new" in terms of looks but all its systems, weapons and other tech is pretty new

myself i love it and im convinced that the other ship we have seen is a refitted/upgraded Vor'cha
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Holy sh**. I don't care much about the ship (too few weapons ), but the background story means that Martok will still be around in 2397 and there will already be problems with the Federation because they have captured ablative armor. On the positive side: It pretty spoils that the Romulan Empire will still exist at that point, so it seems that Star Trek XI will reverse the destruction of Romulus! (I don't know what I would do without my favourite enemies.)
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
Firstly as a Gorn (klingon faction player), thank you for posting a Klingon ship.

I agree, it was a well written description and history. Kudos to the author.
Uhh, they already said we can divert power from other systems to one specific system in essence over charging an effect.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

Well, it does list "Emergency Power Reserves" under OFFENSIVE systems.....
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Awen!

I'm liking the feel of this ship... quick and armed to the teeth... I'm hoping its more about weapons and speed than shielding... always liked the feeling in SFCIII of fast, well armed Klingon ships without much in the way of defense. Leave the heavy shielding for the capital ships like the Negh'var
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
if you read the start of it, it says: "Facing the increasing demands of Chancellor Martok and the Klingon High Council to create more ships in less time, the design teams at the shipyards of Ty'Gokor looked to the past for inspiration for new ships for the Empire.

The Raptor class of the 22nd century was a small frigate intended for use as a scout ship. Its limited weapons and small crew compliment made it a ship for hit-and-run raids rather than extended conflicts. It was, according to lead designer Kurak of the House of Palkar, "capable of winning a battle, but not a war."
"
Yeah, that's a great way to get around having to come up with something original, even if it's unbelievable. Let's use designs for cars that we created 100 years ago to design today's new cars...

Even if it's a redesign, it should still have a different name. The "bird's of prey" have two different versions that look the same, but one is bigger. They have two different class names: K'Vort and B'rel (which are at least Klingon sounding words, unlike the obviously English Raptor)
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post
Wow it is Klingon love Thank you Awen!

I love this bit, tip of the hat to who ever wrote it.
I agree... that part about Kurak is icing
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
Not a "new" ship design, was used in Enterprise: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Raptor_class

And why must it be named after a class of Terran birds, especially one that already has a group of ships named after it?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

Why couldn't you have named it after one of the nearly 20 Klingon bird species we have? http://mughom.wizage.net/?words=bird

Or maybe a different Klingon animal? http://mughom.wizage.net/?words=animal
my guess is that raptor is the english translation.

but does ne 1 else think that the whole concept of a Hit and Run in other words Guerrilla Warfare based ship is the antithesis of what it means to be a Klingon Warrior?

I always understood that Klingons pride Honor above all else. and a face to face fight was the very basis for the Klingon sense of honor. So it just seems to me that the klingons would never actually employ such a ship.

someone correct me if im wrong

cuz thats how i see it.

side note, they could call it Cha' Bip - its a klingon species of bird known for its speed.