Lt. Commander
# 21
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
Yeah, that's a great way to get around having to come up with something original, even if it's unbelievable. Let's use designs for cars that we created 100 years ago to design today's new cars...

Even if it's a redesign, it should still have a different name. The "bird's of prey" have two different versions that look the same, but one is bigger. They have two different class names: K'Vort and B'rel (which are at least Klingon sounding words, unlike the obviously English Raptor)
well Klingons have used the same ships for along long time now...the K'tinga was in-service during TOS and was still in full active service during the Dominion War, same with the Bird of Prey and to an extent the Vor'cha (was first seen in TNG and then again during the Battle_of_Procyon_V which is far far into the future
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that's a great way to get around having to come up with something original, even if it's unbelievable. Let's use designs for cars that we created 100 years ago to design today's new cars...

Even if it's a redesign, it should still have a different name. The "bird's of prey" have two different versions that look the same, but one is bigger. They have two different class names: K'Vort and B'rel (which are at least Klingon sounding words, unlike the obviously English Raptor)
Considering it came from Enterprise, I'd be guessing that its a human nickname that stuck... kind of like the 'bird of prey' ... K'Vort and Br'el different ship classes that bear a resemblance... This Raptor seems to be the same size and configuration with new technology... don't see any difference in the class title of the original Excelsior versus the Excelsior class ships used in the Dominion War... different technology, same layout, same class name. The Federation sets precedent for using old ship classes with new tech making it seem within canon.
Lt. Commander
# 23 uh huh
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
sweet deal man, looks like a deadly little ship.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Yikes, as a Starfleet Captain, I am frightened to have to face one of these already! Looks great! I love the story lines that come with these designs. It makes them so much more real and meaningful somehow when you have the history.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:

...really?

I guess its true, you cant please everybody.

Awen I though it was a GREAT update, especially the part about looking to previous ship designs ... totally logical explanation and it gives me hope that I might see the NX Class in the game.

Keep it coming and Ill buy you two drinks when the game launches
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganL4 View Post
but does ne 1 else think that the whole concept of a Hit and Run in other words Guerrilla Warfare based ship is the antithesis of what it means to be a Klingon Warrior?
stated a few times that is what captains of Bird of Prey ships do.

Quote:
The B'rel-class is a scout vessel, used for espionage, skirmishes and raids, while the K'Vort-class is a light cruiser.
hit adn run tactics would probably full under the B'rel's tactics
Lt. Commander
# 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganL4 View Post
my guess is that raptor is the english translation.

but does ne 1 else think that the whole concept of a Hit and Run in other words Guerrilla Warfare based ship is the antithesis of what it means to be a Klingon Warrior?

I always understood that Klingons pride Honor above all else. and a face to face fight was the very basis for the Klingon sense of honor. So it just seems to me that the klingons would never actually employ such a ship.

someone correct me if im wrong

cuz thats how i see it.
I get a feeling from Klingons like they are space Vikings. Vikings were about honour and the path of the Warrior but they employed raid tactics. Its not so much facing death as it is: if your enemy is too weak to catch you and bring it about, why should you pander to his weakness? Nothing cowardly about a good old fashioned pillaging... :-P
Lt. Commander
# 28
Thanks, guys; I noticed this ship on your Facebook fan page, a few days back, and I was wondering what sort of ship it was
Quote:
And why must it be named after a class of Terran birds, especially one that already has a group of ships named after it?!?
Well, considering raptor is more or less just another name for a predatorial bird, rather than any particular species, I'd say it makes sense that the Federation would use this name to characterize a new, common type of Klingon ships; it's a recognizable word that sounds fierce. Later on, as new variants are developed, they may start referring to them as "'Uz'Kheb-class raptors" and "Yat'khap-class raptors".
Lt. Commander
# 29
Thanks for the klingon ship update, its looks great! and there are no better ways to die then in battle!!

Kapla!
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonJ007 View Post
totally logical explanation and it gives me hope that I might see the NX Class in the game.
it already is in-game probably..its just an upside-down akira class anyway :p