Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
I love the new UI that came with the Skill split.

I do like the idea of having players being required to put some skills in both space and ground, but I also think that more Flex points / room is needed.

I love how you are only requiring only 25% of a players points be placed in ground.

However I think that you should also only require a minimum of 25% of a players points be placed in space as well.

As for the remaining 50%...call them "Flex" points and allow players to put them were they like.

So both Ground and Space would require at a minimum they get 25% of the skill points, but once that requirement is met a player could use the remaining 50% on whatever they fancy.

Just a suggestion
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
I agree this would make the build system more flexible and quiet the " I can't do xxxx" whines from all sides.

Then some Content to play in would be great and the KDF parity upgrade for Tribble testing would be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-23-2011, 07:24 AM
actually it only fixes the whines from people who like to max all ground skills......even with the reduced prices of upper tier skills space is still taking a hit. I don't agree with FORCED spending as i like plenty of otherpeople simply do NOT enjoy the ground combat. And to be honest you can get by without investing into ground skills but you actually have to take advantage of the exploit system. Not to mention you get so little return for you skill points particularly with ground skills it feels like a waste not even counting my EXTREME distaste for ground combat.

All i see with this new revamp is my desired playstyle taking a hit below the belt, if i actually felt i got rather meaningful returns for my skills in both space and PARTICULARLY ground it might not be such a bad pill to swallow but you get so little for your investment it's just aggravating as all get out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-23-2011, 08:51 AM
You can't even spend 75% of your skills in ground, that's absurd. And much of the issue isn't that people want more skills in ground it is that there is not enough in space. They should set the maximum at 85/35% or thereabouts, this would give a much wider area of freedom of where to focus, and how you spend your points.

Frankly I feel like most of my ground skill points are in areas I don't care about. I mean if I only use the medic kit, why would I ever want to buff my holds or buffs from other kits?

It would be like forcing all science ship captains to spec into subspace decompilers, graviton generators, particle generators and countermeasure systems. I don't use them all so why should I spec into all of them?
Lt. Commander
These percentage values are based on a character at level 50

Basic Skill Points: ( 50% minimum, 70% maximum)
10 Basic Skills: ( These skills would be offered to everyone but they could not be maxed out without the use of flex points ).
Basic Ground Allocation ( 25% minimum , 35% maximum )
5 Basic Ground Skills. ( Add to the Effectiveness of Armor, PSG, Devices, Ground Weapon Accuracy, and Personal Conditioning. )
Basic Space Allocation ( 25% minimum, 35% maximum)
5 Basic Space Skills. ( Add to the Strength of Hull, Shields, Devices, Space Weapon Severity, and Leadership. )
Career Skill Points: ( 50% suggested )
10 Advanced Career Skills: ( Technically making it 30 total since each career would have its own 10 skills )
Advanced Ground Allocation ( 25% suggested, 50% maximum )
5 Advanced Ground Skills. ( Adds to the Effectiveness of your Kits, and Career Abilities ).
Advanced Space Allocation ( 25% suggested, 50% maximum )
5 Advanced Space Skills. ( Adds to the Strength and Effectiveness of your Career Abilities ).
Vice Admiral ( Level 50 ) could not max out every skill, however a Fleet Admrial ( Level 70 ) could easily max out every skill since they would have an additional 70% of skill points to work with.

Also you could allow subscribers to shift the "flex" around without the need of a "Shift Flex Token" from the C-store. They would still need to see a vendor at a space port to make the shift. And to Shift the basic points around they would need to purchase a Respec Token. But it would be discounted from 300CP to 200CP since they could shift their "flex" anyway.

Free players would have to pay 300CP for the Respec Token, or 100CP for a "Shift Flex Token".

You could also introduce a "Career Change Token" for 2000CP and have it allow a person to change between a Sci, Eng, and Tac. After they were done they would be required to respec into their new careers advanced skills.

And to be fair introduce a "Species Change Token" for 5000CP and have it allow a person to change to a new species in their faction.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I would prefer to see the option there to max out in ground if you want. The way it is now on tribble, you can only spend 92k in ground with a total available skills of 188k. It would make me happy (I think) to see the minimum of 25% or 30% required in both skills, and the remainder used as you want, according to your character focus.

The new graphics are well done and the explanations very helpful for each skill too. It is just disappointing I am
forced to put more points into space than I really want to.

I do love this game better than SWTOR.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Defect Token
12-25-2011, 02:39 PM
This one would be tricky and some would hate it but others would absolutely love it.

It would have to cost alot of C-points but at the same time it would also need to have a Dilithium price as well.

So like 5000CP or 1,500,000 RD.

Basically you would strip yourself of your rank and title from your current faction.

You would keep your accolades, and your skill points.

You would lose your Energy Credits but keep your remaining Dilithium and GPL.

You would lose your ships in your inventory, you would get GPL for there value. ( If a ship was bought in the C-store you would still have access to it but it would not be playable by your defecting character unless they defected back lol ).

You would be kicked from your current fleet, if you were in a fleet. ( Your fleet would get a message that would not just stated that you left but that you defected ).

You would lose any "faction unique items" in your inventory or personal bank, you would get GPL for there value.

You would get to keep your store bought uniforms, and veteran uniforms only, the rest would be lost, you would get some GPL for there value.

And only 4 of your Bridge officers, and 14 of your Duty Officers would follow you. ( You would get to pick which would follow you. ) ( If you bought your Duty Officers in the C-store you would get Dilithuim for those you lost, and if you had a Boff you purchased in the C-store then you would get a requisition form for a new "special Boff" for your new faction ).

Once you picked your new faction if you are a race that is not apart of that faction your character would be automatically re-specie'd as "Alien". You would not notice a difference.

You would be given a "Provisional Rank" depending on your rank, However if you held a rank above "Captain" in your former faction you will not get that rank right off you will be placed at "Provisional Captain" until you complete several faction specific missions which will then make you eligible to no longer be "Provisional" and allow you to hold a rank above "Captain".

Also until you lose your "Provisional Standing" with your new faction when NPC's react to you or interact with you they will be "Disrespectful" to say the least.

As a deterrent from having people change factions every week, if you defect to a faction you have previously been a member of you will lose half your skill points and rank.

So you could leave Starfleet, then go to the KDF, and then be apart of the Imperial Romulan Fleet, but if you decided to return to Starfleet you would lose everything as mentioned above plus you would lose half your skill points and rank. This would only be instituted as a preventive measure, and you would be warned several times before it was applied and your defection back would be accepted.

Lt. Commander
# 8
12-26-2011, 03:13 PM
good suggestion from OP ..hear hear someone in a game with vulcans who thinks logical hire the OP as a dev!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cien Fuegos
good suggestion from OP ..hear hear someone in a game with vulcans who thinks logical hire the OP as a dev!
LOL

Thank you for the recommendation but I would have to quit my current job and move to California.
And while I think it would be cool to live in California, I love the job I have right now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla
I love the new UI that came with the Skill split.

I do like the idea of having players being required to put some skills in both space and ground, but I also think that more Flex points / room is needed.

I love how you are only requiring only 25% of a players points be placed in ground.

However I think that you should also only require a minimum of 25% of a players points be placed in space as well.

As for the remaining 50%...call them "Flex" points and allow players to put them were they like.

So both Ground and Space would require at a minimum they get 25% of the skill points, but once that requirement is met a player could use the remaining 50% on whatever they fancy.

Just a suggestion

I have a better idea.. How about they just let us put our points wherever we want instead of making us having to put 'x' amount of points in Tier 1 before going to Tier 2, etc...
Or better yet-- I'd rather have RESPEC per ship or per Class of ship (tact, eng, or sci). That way i can SPEC up a sci ship with more Sci than Tac or Engineering when taking out a SCI ship. Vice Versa with TAC and Engineer ships.
Or for ground-- Have ground SPEC per Group of BOFF..
For example-- Away team #1 could be all spec'd with Engineers. that way i could spec my ground towards engineers *turrets, drones, etc). Allow that to be saved as a 'bookmark' if you will.
Away team #2 could be Spec'd with All TAC boffs'
Away team #3 could be a mixed group of BOFF's
Each group saved under a specific Away team loadout name..
So when it comes time for a ground mission i can choose which Away team group i want to take with me instead of picking through my list of officers one at a time..