Lt. Commander
# 31
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Martin View Post
Considering it came from Enterprise, I'd be guessing that its a human nickname that stuck... kind of like the 'bird of prey' ... K'Vort and Br'el different ship classes that bear a resemblance... This Raptor seems to be the same size and configuration with new technology... don't see any difference in the class title of the original Excelsior versus the Excelsior class ships used in the Dominion War... different technology, same layout, same class name. The Federation sets precedent for using old ship classes with new tech making it seem within canon.
The K'tinga model was used for a bunch of different Klingon ships (and even Romulan ones). The D5s and D7s look like the K'tinga, but they all have different names.

To me calling a modem ship the name of a ship that's 200 years old is like making a new SUV with a hydrogen engine in it and calling it a Model T Ford. This ship isn't the Raptor (yes, it's Raptor based). It should have a new name (even if it's Raptor cha')
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
it already is in-game probably..its just an upside-down akira class anyway :p
Ahh dammit... now I won't be able to pilot an Akira without thinking of Scott Bakula...
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I have to admit to being pleasantly impressed with the amount of work the team does in not only preparing stories and ships and screenshots, but also providing plenty of background to make them seem more "real" to us. This ship design and accompanying story are a perfect example.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyorD View Post
Thanks, guys; I noticed this ship on your Facebook fan page, a few days back, and I was wondering what sort of ship it was Well, considering raptor is more or less just another name for a predatorial bird, rather than any particular species, I'd say it makes sense that the Federation would use this name to characterize a new, common type of Klingon ships; it's a recognizable word that sounds fierce. Later on, as new variants are developed, they may start referring to them as "'Uz'Kheb-class raptors" and "Yat'khap-class raptors".
But they aren't giving us the Klingon name. To me it's so odd to stand on a bridge of a Klingon ship and have to refer to it by the Vulcan assigned name (since it's based on the Enterprise one and the Vulcan's named it).

Why can't they give us Klingon names for the Klingon ships, instead of making it Feddie centric!
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
The K'tinga model was used for a bunch of different Klingon ships (and even Romulan ones). The D5s and D7s look like the K'tinga, but they all have different names.

To me calling a modem ship the name of a ship that's 200 years old is like making a new SUV with a hydrogen engine in it and calling it a Model T Ford. This ship isn't the Raptor (yes, it's Raptor based). It should have a new name (even if it's Raptor cha')
I follow what you are saying, but if you look at some of the interviews with Cryptic they talk about class of ship ie. Destroyer, Light Cruiser being key and the choices you make in building it determining canon class...

the example they gave was Federation light cruiser... well depending on how you configure it, it could be a Miranda class or a Centaur class, or some variation thereof... I'm feeling like that's how this thing could go right now. Maybe there are specific Klingon names for different structural variants of this base 'raptor' class...
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganL4 View Post
my guess is that raptor is the english translation.

but does ne 1 else think that the whole concept of a Hit and Run in other words Guerrilla Warfare based ship is the antithesis of what it means to be a Klingon Warrior?

I always understood that Klingons pride Honor above all else. and a face to face fight was the very basis for the Klingon sense of honor. So it just seems to me that the Klingons would never actually employ such a ship.

someone correct me if im wrong

cuz thats how i see it.

OK your wrong...If you ever watched an episode of DS9 especially season 7 they show hit and run tactics by both B'rel and K'vort class Bird of Prey ships. To win is Honorable. The B'rel class ships were also primarily "Pack Hunters" or deployed in squads of 3 or more. (also shown in numerous ST episodes and in the I.K.S Gorkon book series.)
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Love the new ship design and the backstory, even though the Klingons are not my personal faction of choice.

Simultaneously, I'm embarrassed that the thread only got nine posts in before someone decided to complain.

This Raptor is not the same Raptor. The text states that very clearly. It's an homage design, not a remake or a refit. And the practice of giving translated, easy-use designations to foreign military vessels goes back at least as far as the Cold War against the former Soviet Union.

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
it already is in-game probably..its just an upside-down akira class anyway :p
Yes they look similar but its not the same thing ... Id rather have an NX Class than an Akira Class.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Martin View Post
I follow what you are saying, but if you look at some of the interviews with Cryptic they talk about class of ship ie. Destroyer, Light Cruiser being key and the choices you make in building it determining canon class...

the example they gave was Federation light cruiser... well depending on how you configure it, it could be a Miranda class or a Centaur class, or some variation thereof... I'm feeling like that's how this thing could go right now. Maybe there are specific Klingon names for different structural variants of this base 'raptor' class...
Then they should have called it Klingon light cruiser, instead of the English 'Raptor;.

Feddie ships should have Feddie names (Miranda, Centaur, Galaxy, etc) and Klingon ships should have Klingon names (vor'cha', voDleH, Qang, qIvo'rIt). It's not hard to do, but it seems that the Feddie centric theme is going to continue in this game as well.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
But they aren't giving us the Klingon name. To me it's so odd to stand on a bridge of a Klingon ship and have to refer to it by the Vulcan assigned name (since it's based on the Enterprise one and the Vulcan's named it).

Why can't they give us Klingon names for the Klingon ships, instead of making it Feddie centric!
Quite true, quite true. Hopefully, we'll get such names for all our ships, at some point.

I might suggest calling the original a K'rak-class vessel (qI'raq, in tlhIngan Hol). It doesn't mean anything in Klingon, just like B'rel, K'vort and K'tinga don't, but it sounds Klingon to those who don't speak the language, and the name has similarities to bI'rel, qI'vo'rIt and qItI'nga'.
The name sounds like Kurak, which would be a nice allusion to those who have read this article, but it wouldn't be explicitly stated that this is the origin of the name; technically, it could just be a coincidence. We don't know how Klingons go about naming their ship classes, after all.