Lt. Commander
# 1 STO LCARS Tablet Design
12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
So for Christmas, I received an Android eLocity A7, and I was stoked. (Pardon the pun.) I felt like a real Starfleet Captain, prancing around the house carrying the tablet like it was my very own PADD. It was a very good Christmas.

And then a thought hit me. What would really look good is to have an LCARS design as wallpaper aaaaand...I kinda felt it looked cheesy with the dull colored version from TNG. (Don't get me wrong, I love the design, it just didn't suit my tablet.) But STO, which I realized, had a very modern take on their LCARS, so I decided to emulate from that.

So I fired up Photoshop and, referencing one of the in-game interface screencaps, spent an entire night working out the interface by scratch and how to better get that nice neon glow and so on. There was also a problem with the A7's default interface, so I made the LCARS work around that. The end result was a very simple, but to-the-point style for the A7's wallpaper and it made me very happy.

This is the main template of the STO LCARS:

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/15/42/13/71/lcars21.jpg
(Its a bit personalized since it was made for my toon's ship, the USS Lithium)

This is what it looked like on the A7:

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/15/42/13/71/img_0115.jpg
(You can see that the interface in the right side is accommodating the A7's buttons. This is why there's a huge gap on that side of the template.)

And no, this is not used for profit or anything, just some fun fanart to decorate my A7's screen. I might try other interfaces for fun though, like Klingon or Romulan style. Just thought it would be fun to show you guys.

Happy Holidays!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2011, 04:30 PM
WOW! That's awesome! Have you thought about doing something similar for the Android and Apple markets? I bet you could make a good buck off of it. Not too sure what the license issues are with LCARS but lots of Trek fans love stuff like this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not a licensing-nut, so I'm not sure if its possible without proper permission. I have seen some LCARS formats on the Android and Apple markets, but I've yet to see something a little more modernized, mostly TNG stuff. But this is derived from STO's layout, so I'm sure if I were to use it for profit, I'd have to get their permission first. Or CBS, or...whatever the big man is on this issue. XD

Also, this is just a wallpaper, not a full interface. I'm in the middle of learning more about the A7 and similar tablets before I try to make an actual workable interface. (That would be the coolest thing to have!) But that's a programming issue and I'm not too familiar with programming. If it was a workable interface, I'd probably look for a way to profit off it, (or just give it away for free...tis the season after all).

I'm glad you like it though. Like I said, I'll probably add a Klingon/Romulan version in the near future just to spice things up. It is pretty fun to do when you're bored.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Nice! If you're ever really bored, I'd love to see a Jem'Hadar one. [=
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
That is cool.

Happy Holidays.