Lt. Commander
# 21
12-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
Hey guys, thank you for your feedback on this set!

I wanted to drop in to let you all know that I'm just starting an in-depth review of these space sets (ground sets after that) to ensure that they are working properly, balanced with one another, and their bonuses are easily understood.

So keep your feedback coming! I'm aiming to have revised versions of the MACO, Omega and KHG sets out prior to F2P. And just to put your minds at ease, we recognize the time investment involved in obtaining this gear, and the expected level of reward that players are after when investing that much time and energy. We want to reward you accordingly.

Yeah, nobody really understands much of these set bonuses and what they do. In fact other skills and the skill page needs to be more clear as well.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Suggestions for your consideration:

The New sets should offer the following:

All sets:
- warp 13 standard warp speed.

MACO:

- have the graviton beam apply a DOT instead of direct damage. set the damage type to the same type you use for the harghpeng. Call the effect "gravitational sheers" or something.
- have the warp bubble effect activate in combat randomly.
- The shields bonus power should scale with skills at the very least. However id prefer if you'd make it a stackable buff likeneed to those of the aegis set: the more you are fired upon the more stacks of power you get.

OMEGA:

- Fix the tetryon glider, give it a nice effect and raise the damage to something non trivial.
- the Energy wake ability of the OMEGA shield should be a stackable buff and scale in magnitude inversely to your ships mobility. If you have a fast and agile ship, you gain less, if you have a ponderous ship you gain more.

the Old Borg Set:

- add a transwarp animation - a sort of greenish tunnel. much like slipstream but less... bright.
- have the tractor beams power drain increased and linger for longer.
Both should be a little payoff for having to use the "meh" shield. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:

I wanted to drop in to let you all know that I'm just starting an in-depth review of these space sets (ground sets after that) to ensure that they are working properly, balanced with one another, and their bonuses are easily understood.

So keep your feedback coming! I'm aiming to have revised versions of the MACO, Omega and KHG sets out prior to F2P. And just to put your minds at ease, we recognize the time investment involved in obtaining this gear, and the expected level of reward that players are after when investing that much time and energy. We want to reward you accordingly.
Thanks for the FYI. I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts in giving this gear the appropriate "WOW" factor that was originally intended.

Claydermuch has some good suggestions of which I concur with. My take on some potential balance pass ideas:

All Engines: Sector travel speed needs to be increased I'm not sure if they ALL need to be Warp 13 engines, but I think the game has some leeway for the sets to have higher sector speeds between warp 11 and 13.

Breen Engine: This is probably the worst engine currently at endgame in terms of Max/Min speed. It could use a big boost. If you compare the Breen engines with the Aegis the flight speed is as much as a -20 difference.

OMEGA Engine: Needs to be about +5 faster than currently implemented.I seem to get these weird looking orange puffs when I change direction up and down. It would be interesting if this was changed to a small thrust jet (like from maneuvering thrusters).

Tetryon Glider: Without a working implementation it's hard for me to say how this should be changed. Is it intended to be a poor man's Directed Energy Modulation? Or is it intended to be a +X damage to Y weapon's base damage?

Heavy Graviton Beam: Reduce the charge time by 50% Use the existing damage formula for the Phaser Spinal Lance with a high chance to apply a heavy DoT as Claydermuch suggested. "Gravitational Fracture" or "Gravitational Sheering" does have a nice ring to it. I'd propose the effect be clear-able with Engineering team and Aux to SIF.

Breen Shield: I know this has been talked about the past, but I was wondering if Capt. Logan could give this shield some "subtle" Breen tech like the other sets? Perhaps a geodesic shield effect when getting fired on? It's actually a great shield IMHO.

Finally, Consoles: All sets I think would benefit from some type of universal console. The Borg Set is the Staple of ALL endgame builds simply because you can do a best of both worlds build with it. If the other sets had a console build variety would be greatly increased.

Thanks again for the update, and Merry Christmas Everyone (or whichever holiday you choose to honor)!
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I would like to point out that the Aegis set bonus still needs fixing too! Do not forget this.

The KHG shield alone provides a flat 10% defense bonus. This effect was originally on the Aegis set bonus.
It was split to 5% flat and 5% cap from movement speed because people thought it was too uber. If you plan on keeping the 10% on the KHG shields, please return the original Aegis set bonus too please.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:

In terms of the "Heavy Graviton beam", please don't change the visuals and the name for this. Just increase the damage on par with Beam Overload III or something. I don't mind the cooldown as such, it just needs to give a suitable punch! The reason i'm sure this was chosen was because of the HGB use in ST: TNG "The Best of Both Worlds" and if you're flying a galaxy class, like i am, it's very cool in a canon kind of way!

so yeah, just up the damage!
Lt. Commander
# 26 Maco
12-28-2011, 03:45 AM
I am going to continue grinding towards a full MACO set only because by the time I get it hopefully Cryptic will lhave done something about it by then.

1 quick point i am using MACO X atm and with curret engineering consels Sheild Emiotter Xi and borg console the shields are stronger than the Borg Shield (although don't regen as fast)
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967
I am going to continue grinding towards a full MACO set only because by the time I get it hopefully Cryptic will lhave done something about it by then.

1 quick point i am using MACO X atm and with curret engineering consels Sheild Emiotter Xi and borg console the shields are stronger than the Borg Shield (although don't regen as fast)
Very true, one of the better thought perks about the MACO deflector is that it adds around 200 (ish) shields per facing to whatever shield you equip. I would like to see this increased a bit more like 500 at Mk XI. It does make the deflector a great draw. I actually use the shield quite a bit because of the high capacity and bleed through mitigation.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-28-2011, 06:37 AM
I approve of them not making the new sets superior to the old sets. It helps prevent the entire game from feeling like a treadmill with a carrot on a stick dangled in front of you. I don't object to the idea of rebalancing the new sets some, but I would prefer that they remain merely "different" instead of "better."
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
And just to put your minds at ease, we recognize the time investment involved in obtaining this gear, and the expected level of reward that players are after when investing that much time and energy. We want to reward you accordingly.
Not being snarky, but I decided a few weeks ago to make sure my toons all have the retro borg gear as I anticipated then that their costs would eventually be adjusted to MK XII MACO/Omega levels. It seems a reasonable adjustment to make. I burst out laughing when I realized the Tribble costs had been moved to Holo. You all definitely need to do something before f2p or the howls of the new players will echo for years to come, like the Ultima Online "Not-A-Mirror Mirror" decision.

Again, not trying to be snarky. I've been playing MMOs for a very long time, since dial up days, and there are certain things I think are reasonable for game designers to do.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausWulfenbach View Post
I approve of them not making the new sets superior to the old sets. It helps prevent the entire game from feeling like a treadmill with a carrot on a stick dangled in front of you. I don't object to the idea of rebalancing the new sets some, but I would prefer that they remain merely "different" instead of "better."
Okay, a valid concern, but on the other hand consider this. In order to acquire the MACO/Honor Guard/Omega items, at worst you have to hop on that treadmill for 120 runs. As previously mentioned by Pococurante, the old borg set costs 15 runs. The Aegis set costs materials to craft.

Both "Legacy Sets" cost much less to obtain and provide more substantial bonuses. Would you be okay with all the sets costing 120 STF runs?

What about the MK XII versions that are dropped at about 0.6% (estimated)? I'm sure you'd agree that such ultra rare items should be spec'd accordingly.

Like it or not, the time invested to get the items should be reflected in the final product. Players should feel rewarded for their time spent.

We've had almost 2 years of Aegis/Borg as the top tier items, IMHO the new gear should be:
  1. Fixed so that the mechanics are working as intended.
  2. Make the MK XII items "Gold" or Legendary (with stats and abilities to match)
  3. Re-balance the MK XI items be on par (at a minimum) with the Legacy items
  4. All given consoles or a "unique set weapon" (4 part sets vs. 3 part) to further promote variety in builds.

All that said, I'm not expecting BorticusCryptic to wave a wand and do all that. Some things are harder to implement, take time to produce etc. Yet long term, with F2P there needs to be more gear for players to "grind" over time. By adding 1 item to each of the existing sets you'd add (at worst) another 40 STF runs for MK XI.

I'm really hoping that BorticusCryptic shares some of his thoughts on what's going to be done. I like the direct blunt this is the way it is honesty.