Lt. Commander
# 1 Severe lag issues
12-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Over the past couple of months I have been experiencing a phenomenon where the framerate and response of keyboard and mouse commands drops to about one per second, making control all but impossible. This issue seems to appear several times per hour regardless of what zone I am in and appears in both ground and space areas. I have tried dialing the graphical options all the way to the minimum, but this has not reduced the occurrence of the problem at all (I have a GeForce 9100 card, 8 GB of system RAM, and a quad-core 2.8 GHz Phenom processor). Lately the occurrences have become longer and more frequent to the point that nearly fifty percent of play time is spent stuck in this state, making team play utterly impossible. Does anybody have a clue as to what is going on? The issue did not appear until sometime around September.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
9100 is a low end card

Have you checked on your Temp on the video card.
http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/
and when was the last time you up dated your card

And what windows you running

Sound like your computer could use a Air cleaning.

Try changing your resolution too a smaller size in game
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium edition 64-bit version. My video card is a GeForce 9100 running the latest drivers.

As for resolution and other video settings, I have tried cutting all video settings on the game to the absolute minimum and this does not relieve the problem--I get EXACTLY the same amount and frequency of lagging as I do at the maximum settings. This problem also did NOT manifest until after I had been playing the game on this hardware setup for at least eight months.

Furthermore, during a lag period, the CPU usage on my system drops to below fifteen percent, despite my having selected the options to offload as much of the GPU's duties as possible to the CPU.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcom46 View Post
9100 is a low end card

Sound like your computer could use a Air cleaning.
Yes, I know that the 9100 is low-end by present standards (though it was mid-range by the standards of the time that I bought it almost three years ago). My concern was that I had been experiencing a drop in performance below the level that I had seen for several months previously on the same hardware setup.

Anyway, I opened it up and both my CPU heatsink and my GPU heatsink were clogged with so much dust that I am surprised that nothing had caught fire. After cleaning it out, performance has returned to the previous level.