Lt. Commander
# 31
12-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterpiseZ
I think we should post a message ate te start of each match:

"Interested in PvP? Join the OrganisedPvP chat channel for some advise and help finding a PvP fleet. Also ask for a kind gentleman called Mikey, hes always happy to help "

Other than that I'm looking forward to the free kills :p
I'll make a keybind for it
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-31-2011, 10:04 AM
What is this OrganisedPvP channel? I didn't know there was a contender to the OrganizedPvP channel!

I guess that's where all the cool people went.*

*) Or was that TOR?
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Merely pointing out that the number of people who PvP goes down every day (most of that is Cryptic's fault). This influx of new players that will come with F2P, maybe the last chance we get for a revitalized community. A larger group of inexperienced people will be more likely to receive PvP content than a tiny elite group, I'm afraid.

You should take some responsibility for this element of the game, and help cultivate it in ways you are able, rather than go for a scorched earth policy. Can't blame it all on Cryptic.

So yeah, peoples gonna get ganked left and right, six ways from Sunday. That's the point of it all, I guess.

But, as was mentioned above, send a message beforehand saying, "We're about gank you. Enjoy! To learn how to do the same to us someday, PM us afterwards". Folk's will think you're twice as cool for saying that, than if you just steamrolz their face.

Man up, grow a thicker skin, don't be too sensitive, and recruit a future for yourselves, gagh-dammit!
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
look, all we are saying is...well, most players gotta put some practice and experiment with builds...and die a ton before they can compete with the top. but even for us average players....some would call us "confident vets" will have an awesome match and really tear it up. and we, just as the top dozen plus guys who do this, get the Rage PM. it will go down like this:

Rage Player: you *^%$ #$%. #$%^ you. ^%$&*&% tractor beam spam mother ^&%$#@

Horizon: oh hey, yeah hit a few good BO3's in there, ggs

RP: %^$# that man, you %^$#*&^ cheater. and you were second in healing too, %^$#*&^ hax. ^%$# you.

H: well, i find if you pop an aux battery before you hit TSS2, and HE1, all while rotating two copies of tac team that you can really extend your survivability. also get the borg set, and a high cap shield. and the tractor beams are to slow you down to possibly land more beam overloads.

RP: ^%$#& hax, %^$ you

H: alright man, have fun kill bad guys.

RP: %^$# you
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
look, all we are saying is...well, most players gotta put some practice and experiment with builds...and die a ton before they can compete with the top. but even for us average players....some would call us "confident vets" will have an awesome match and really tear it up. and we, just as the top dozen plus guys who do this, get the Rage PM. it will go down like this:

RP: %^$# that man, you %^$#*&^ cheater. and you were second in healing too, %^$#*&^ hax. ^%$# you.

H: well, i find if you pop an aux battery before you hit TSS2, and HE1, all while rotating two copies of tac team that you can really extend your survivability. also get the borg set, and a high cap shield. and the tractor beams are to slow you down to possibly land more beam overloads.

Can u imagine what that conversation would be like if you were a bop using 4 p2w consoles?
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerx24
Can u imagine what that conversation would be like if you were a bop using 4 p2w consoles?
i think i was in an mvae when that particular one hit me. only recieved a few others but i guess that one was the most memorable. and i was most likely running he2 and tss3. thats a lot of healing when spec'd right and consoled out.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon

That sounds about right. Happens all the time already. I have never met a PvPer who is unwilling to offer advice, or a place on their team or in their fleet to help people move beyond getting ganked. Somehow we have earned this horrible reputation, but I have never met a group of people so willing to help others. Let's face it, the quality of the competition is directly related to the amount of fun a PvPer can have. It would serve us no good to keep the secrets of PvP to ourselves, and none that I know would if help is genuinely requested.

And, as Horizon so wonderfully illustrated, sometimes we offer that advice regardless, in the hopes that some nugget of truth sinks in, even if it is hard for that person to swallow.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I rolled 2 new toons I'm going to level in PVP when F2P hits, maybe I'll find a few players with a little talent at lower levels & recruit them , or at least tell them about OPVP.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpock View Post

But, as was mentioned above, send a message beforehand saying, "We're about gank you. Enjoy! To learn how to do the same to us someday, PM us afterwards". Folk's will think you're twice as cool for saying that, than if you just steamrolz their face.
i dunno.. but if i did that or anyone in my fleet said that we'd be called ******s for "rubbing it in" and what not...
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I rolled 2 new toons I'm going to level in PVP when F2P hits, maybe I'll find a few players with a little talent at lower levels & recruit them , or at least tell them about OPVP.
When I first started PvP, I had someone there to teach and who received a few lessons in return. Thanks, Horizon. There were so many times I just wanted to give up. That I swore TSI must be cheating (I kept those supsicions on teamspeak though, not in zone chat, and they eventually went away). That I was utterly convinced that I could never keep up. He kept me going, kept me pressing, he handed my butt to me regularly in 1v1, and eventually, made me an asset to a team rather than a liability.

This is what I hope happens for every new player that wants to PvP, and who is willing to accept that they have a lot to learn.

As you gain more experience, you also gain more friends, who teach you even more. You find a few "arch-enemies" (ya know, those people you just can't crack, but really want to); so you ask them for advice, and they teach you more, and on and on it goes. It is a never-ending process, you are constantly learning new things, new tricks, new tactics.

All it takes to start down that path is a little humility and hunger for knowledge. Holding back because we don't want to run anyone off does no good for anybody, ganker or gankee. Because, in the end, only those that are willing will ask, the rest will continue on in the knowledge that it wasn't the fact they weren't distributing their shields that caused them to be the target of choice, that it had to have been that uber-hax the bad guy was using making them die every time they entered the battle.

Have fun, kill noobs, embrace the ones who ask because they're the ones we want